Help please on USB Connectivity - UI7 and Vera Edge

Hi

I am a happy Vera Edge user, but looking to make some system changes and wanted to check my thinking (please).

I have a Vera Edge with the USB port connected to a RFXtrx433 for my LightwaveRF devices - all is good
I have a Texecom Plugin running which connects to my Texecom Alarm system (from Alan Carter (great guy by the way)), and the plugin is set to connect to my Texecom via IP (via a Texecom COMIP module) - all is good.

The trouble is, the Vera boots up and makes a connection to my Texecom Alarm Panel and holds that connection open on Port 10001 forever. This means that I can’t use the Texecom Apps or any other remote connection to the Texecom because Port 10001 is held connected by the Vera.

So I am looking to make a change so that the Texecom is connected to the Vera by USB instead of IP. this should then free my port 10001 on the Texecom to communicate with my Apps, and the Vera can connect to the Texecom by USB.

But I only have one USB port on my Vera… and although i have read that you can use a USB Hub on the Vera, I don’t understand how this works with devices that seem to want different Baud Rates… Texecom seems to want 19200 (19200/8/N/2 to be precise), and yet RFXtrx433 seems to want 38400 (38400/8/N/1 to be precise).

So… (long story short)… if using a USB hub, do you just have to make sure that all devices are set to the same baud rate, and try and be lucky that all devices can be set to use different baud rates so that they can all work together on the same hub?

Has anyone done anything like I am attempting?

thanks

Baudrates, Parity, Data/Stop bits are Serial “thingies”.
Your Vera talks “USB” till the endpoint of the port where a chip inside the device or cable converts USB to Serial.
So it should not have any impact if you have a lets say 4 port usb hub with 4 devices with all other Serial configs.

One of the serial configs in Vera is called “Path” for my vera 3 I have connected 2 usb-2-serial devices.
Paths are /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1.
If I would plugin a hub in between it should just have a longer path (not on the syntax sure just guessing here: /dev/ttyUSB0_0, /dev/ttyUSB0_1, /dev/ttyUSB0_2, /dev/ttyUSB0_3)

UPDATE:
Its a small bit different then stated :
Source = How to find all serial devices (ttyS, ttyUSB, ..) on Linux without opening them? - Stack Overflow

the /dev/ttyUSBn paths are pointers.
So they will just increase with +1.
But they are mapped on physical usb ports.
Those can be seen on Vera with the commands:

cd /sys/class/tty ls -la

For me (without hub) it shows:
[size=8pt]
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jul 6 12:27 ttyUSB1 → …/…/devices/platform/rt3883-ohci/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/ttyUSB1/tty/ttyUSB1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jul 6 12:27 ttyUSB0 → …/…/devices/platform/rt3883-ohci/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0[/size]

in the path (marked red) you see the different usb port and hub numbering

thanks mcalistair.

I guess it sounds like “plug it in, and see what happens…”

but your pointers are good, and will help me troubleshoot if it doesn’t work, so thanks.

Exactly, it shouldn’t give any issue… (but you never know with Vera :-*)

mbarne36 - you could get round this using a Raspberry Pi running ser2net. Plug your Texecom USB cable into the Pi for continued LAN comms and that’ll free COM IP for Wintex.

[quote=“mbarne36, post:3, topic:192885”]thanks mcalistair.

I guess it sounds like “plug it in, and see what happens…”

but your pointers are good, and will help me troubleshoot if it doesn’t work, so thanks.[/quote]

Personally (Vera Edge here) I plugged in a dumb, non-powered USB2 hub into the port and it ‘just worked’. I now have a usb key plugged in for logging, and my X10 controller, plus two spare ports. And yes, you could have different devices running at different speed etc without an issue. The only thing to keep in mind might be if you have a device that draws a lot of power from the USB port you may need to get a powered hub.