Gunsafe Door sensor

I have an Aeon Labs door sensor setup in my gun safe and wired to the actual lock so that when its in an unlocked position its tripped. Since the safe is thick steal once the door is close the sensor can not talk to vera. But once i open the door it then shows up with in a couple minutes. Any suggestions on how to get good signal? Has anyone tried extending a zwave device antenna?

Yes , you can make the antenna the full lambda length. The antenna’s on the Z-wave devices are 1/4th lambda , making them the full length will be the optimum for the range ( 32 cm totall length).

The 32 cm is for the european frequency , for the US- you will have to calculate it ( v = λ (lambda) * f,) where f is the frequency in hz and v the speed of sound.

Cor

edit and maybe you can have the extra bit of wire hanging out the door?

I’ve been looking at installing a temp/humidity sensor in my gun safe using an Arduino-based MySensors.org sensor. I plan to put the electronics outside and run ribbon cable to the actual sensors to avoid the signal blocking problem

I’ll be watching this thread, as I was thinking about doing both but didn’t know where to start.

Hmm i have used Arduino’s before, but just so i understand the whole mysensors thing. You need to buy a Arduino board + Wireless RF for the MySensors + Ethernet or USB just for the Vera gateway, then you got to buy a Arduino + Wireless RF for the MySensors + Your sensors you want to act as the remote sensor device. Program each arduino, then set up each sensor in vera. Seems like a lot of work and tinkering. You know aeon makes a $64 multi-sensor with native vera support for all the function you need right? U might actually end up saving money by buying the aeon multi sensor after all the equipment and shipping.

Actually you can build the mysensor for a fraction of what the aeon cost and is much more reliable. Look over them forum for how much the aeon is a piece of crap!

• Garrett

Interesting, never used one i’ll have to check some reviews. 2 promini’s + programmer + some way to power both them is over 1/2 way there. Still have + Ethernet shield or USB shield, RF adapters for Mysensor network, + sensors, misc jumpers and wires. All said and done they would be real close.

Hmm i have used Arduino’s before, but just so i understand the whole mysensors thing. You need to buy a Arduino board + Wireless RF for the MySensors + Ethernet or USB just for the Vera gateway, then you got to buy a Arduino + Wireless RF for the MySensors + Your sensors you want to act as the remote sensor device. Program each arduino, then set up each sensor in vera. Seems like a lot of work and tinkering. You know aeon makes a $64 multi-sensor with native vera support for all the function you need right? U might actually end up saving money by buying the aeon multi sensor after all the equipment and shipping.[/quote]

In my case I already have the Vera Gateway and several Arduino sensors running and I’m designing custom PCBs remote sensors so it’s not a leap of faith :slight_smile:

Hmmm now you got me thinking, I have about 6 extra audrino laying around. My safe has an RGB led lighting system in it with a IR remote. Be nice to have the Aurdino handle sending the IR remote command to switch the internal RGB leds to Red after sunset and white when the suns up for that Hunt for Red October look. That would be pretty awesome.

Custom PCB remote sensors, interesting. Like what?

Hmmm now you got me thinking, I have about 6 extra audrino laying around. My safe has an RGB led lighting system in it with a IR remote. Be nice to have the Aurdino handle sending the IR remote command to switch the internal RGB leds to Red after sunset and white when the suns up for that Hunt for Red October look. That would be pretty awesome.

Custom PCB remote sensors, interesting. Like what?[/quote]

I’ve laid out a battery powered sensor PCB and the Ver 1.0 boards are in the mail from OSHPark, should be here in a few days.

I’m HOPING everything is OK (my very first Eagle PCB project). The Ver 1 board is a bit larger than it needs to be but that’s no big deal. It uses a CR123 3v Lithium battery, supports 2@ Digital, 2@ Analog and one L2C sensor input but right now only 3v sensors. Ver 2 will probably provide a 3v=>5v upconverter to support 5v sensors as well and also allow for 5V external power instead of battery if I can figure out how to get all the parts in without getting in each other’s way.

Check out “WWW.MYSENSORS.ORG” and/or the MySensors.Org sub-board on this forum, lots and lots of really good ideas and advice.

Is there anyone building turn key Arduino kits? I’ve got to believe there is a market for those like me who don’t have the skill set to build and program these things.

Hmm here is what i am going to do. My safe has a ethernet and electrical in it. I have a aux NAS in there for all work and financial data so what i’ll do is just put a Raspberry Pi in there and install debian on it. Use the GPIO of the switch sensor, humidity, temp and put a PIR motion sensor on it with a vibration sensor to detect if anyone moves the safe. Then i can have my IR transmitter on there to do the lighting modes. To me with the Pi and Linux i’d rather spend the little extra to have all the features of a full linux distro. That way i can run lighthttp and php and have a little GUI for it. Write some REST into it and just have vera look at it that way.

Although mysensors looks sweet i may use if for a weather station project in the near future. Thanks for the tip and good luck with your PCB construction.

I’ll also keep everyone posted here

[quote=“undertoe, post:12, topic:181905”]Hmm here is what i am going to do. My safe has a ethernet and electrical in it. I have a aux NAS in there for all work and financial data so what i’ll do is just put a Raspberry Pi in there and install debian on it. Use the GPIO of the switch sensor, humidity, temp and put a PIR motion sensor on it with a vibration sensor to detect if anyone moves the safe. Then i can have my IR transmitter on there to do the lighting modes. To me with the Pi and Linux i’d rather spend the little extra to have all the features of a full linux distro. That way i can run lighthttp and php and have a little GUI for it. Write some REST into it and just have vera look at it that way.

Although mysensors looks sweet i may use if for a weather station project in the near future. Thanks for the tip and good luck with your PCB construction.

I’ll also keep everyone posted here[/quote]

I think you’ve gone a bit beyond a door sensor :slight_smile:

Lol, well it’s all your fault ;D Right now i have a $9.99 RH and Temp sensor from a humidor inside the safe. When you started talking about custom sensor devices got me thinking. Then it turned into complete overkill just like ever project i touch lol. Go big or go home right?

Lol, well it’s all your fault ;D Right now i have a $9.99 RH and Temp sensor from a humidor inside the safe. When you started talking about custom sensor devices got me thinking. Then it turned into complete overkill just like ever project i touch lol. Go big or go home right?[/quote]

Cut from the same cloth :slight_smile:

LOL so true. I can almost see it now with the scheduled triggers to the IR transmitter to switch light modes to toggle between the two states in the picture below.

You need to work on your AR collection. :slight_smile:

Lol I hope that was a joke :slight_smile: these are just AR15 and AR10.

It was indeed. Nice collection by the way.

Lol I almost took serious offense to that. Thanks got a nice AK and HK collection to along with it