Glass Break Sensor

Hi,

I have a Vision Security Glass Break Sensor, which should be compatible with Vera. This is the new ZWave Plus version, which took me a while to make Vera recognize it.

It’s now recognized as a GenericIO device, and it’s pretty much useless - it can be set On or Off, but the “break” event will not trigger any alert at all.

I’ve tried changing some parameters in the json and xml configuration like putting there D_GlassBreakSensor.json, but when I do that, the device simple disappears from the device list and I can’t configure it any more. The only option is restoring a previous back.

Anyone had luck with these sensors? Can you provide a printscreen of the settings?

Thanks,

I have the Monoprice version of this sensor and was it recognized as a Vision VSN-ZS5101 by UI7 and has it set up as a motion sensor. Not sure if it’s the Plus version and since it’s hooked onto a Vera 3 it wouldn’t matter. Unfortunately as it’s basically a shock sensor, it frequently generates false break alarms due to my large dogs barking when seeing someone outside the window. :slight_smile: So I only arm it if the dogs leave with me.

The relevant parameters from the advanced tab are:
Device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1
Device_file: D_MotionSensor1.xml
device_json: D_GlassBreakSensor.json

Great, I found also that the documentation from Monoprice [url=http://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/11988_Manual_141204.pdf]http://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/11988_Manual_141204.pdf[/url] is much better than the original documentation provided from the manufacturer. I will check…

The monoprice manual didn’t work much…

I still get the device included as a binary sensor.

I’ve changed the relevant parameters you have provided, and now the device simply disappeared from the Vera interface…

I believe some of the parameters are not compatible with UI7 and the device is no longer visible…

Any ideas?

Hi,

Did you find a solution to make Vera recognize this device as “Glass Break Sensor” device ?

I have this device in standard version : no problem, Vera recognize as glass break sensor.
But the Z-wave plus version is recognized as GenericIO device so useless !!!

Thanks

Since this pops up with google as one of the first results trying to get the ZS5101 monoprice shock sensor 15269 (ZS5101US-5) working, I’ll lay out my experiences and how I got it going… (Based on http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=32945.0)

This was a huge pain to get this going, mostly the inclusion process was really fragile.

Make sure the device is not already included (if the light is solid with the cover off, it thinks it’s already included and won’t include again). You have to get it into the blinking (non-included) mode. You can do this by going through the unpair process. Sometimes it won’t go into unpair until you remove and install the battery.
Once it’s in the blinking mode, you can “factory reset” it by holding the tamper switch while inserting the battery, then let go of tamper after it blinks. I usually pull the batter again after this.
After it is ready to pair/include, use the “generic zwave device” in vera to include it. I had to try this whole process with variations before it finally paired. Another thing I had to do was reboot vera since vera doesn’t always display the new device on the ui until a reboot and you can’t include it if it’s already there (from a previous unsuccessful pair).

Once it’s paired as a generic device, you change these settings (from the link above):
In the advanced section (Params Tab), find the ‘device_type’ field and change it to ‘urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1’ (without the quote)
Find the ‘device_file’ and change it to ‘D_MotionSensor1.xml’
Find the ‘device_json’ and change it to ‘D_GlassBreakSensorWithTamper.json’

change category_num to 4
change subcategory_num to 6

After you make these changes, the device will disappear from vera. Now reboot vera again and refresh your browser it should show up correctly.

As a side note, this detects motion/shock only, this is not an audio (glass break noise) sensor. There’s a little spring and magnet that detects motion and a nob to adjust sensitivity.

Thanks jwater7. My windows, probably like many are impossible to open from the outside without breaking meaning there’s no point to use a sensor magnet like you would with a door. I was a bit surprised there wasn’t more options available in my searches.

With all the effort you spent, what’s your opinion of echo dots in a room where they have the new guard function to listen for things like glass breaking instead of this route?

The Echo Dot route is likely much more reliable for intrusion detection. The key is getting it to trigger events. I haven’t looked into it much, but you could probably use a routine to do what you wish…