Geofencing

Geofencing is a great addition but needs some work for more than single people. Would love to use it turn on and off Home and Away modes. Here is the current issue. You can only use one individual at a time. Here is how it should work. Both my wife and my phone leave the fence, Vera goes to Away mode. One of our phones come back into the fence and it goes to Home. Will be great if they can add that.

+1

Hi,

Do you have some recommendations for configuring it? I’m trying to get it working reliably on an Android 5.0 phone but I haven’t after a more than a week of tinkering with the radius settings. It sometimes fires at random when at home; result: GF not happy that the TV and lights go out. It sometimes does not fire at all; result: me not happy that lights and radio stayed on, or when driving off to work it does an exit and a minute later quickly does a enter followed by leave; result: neighbors this I’m running a disco ;D.

As I have similar issues with the location functions in Tasker I am starting to think it may be my phone (can’t be me, can it 8) ). But GF doesn’t let me use her phone for experiments ::).

Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers Rene.

It’s definitely not you (regarding Tasker), my wife and I often have issues with this. Typically I’ll leave the office and arrive home and my wife is like hey - the Sonos never announced you left work. I look down and tasker sure enough says I’m still at the office. Wife has issues with arriving home, it detects she’s home - turns on lights, adjusts temp and starts music but then for whatever reason thinks she’s like 3 or 4 miles down the road - as if it’s cached an old geo-location. Bouncing our phones (both Android Samsung) always corrects it…

I’m going to “try” a different route… I just purchased an Automatic (automatic.com; Google for 20% off coupon or just ask me) and I’m going to utilize their web hook feature (Ignition on, Ignition off, long/lat data etc…). I already use a web service for other purposes so I can actually utilize it to capture the hook, distill the JSON down to specific info and push a message to Vera for triggers. I found that too big a message will cause a LUUP restart (errrr) which is the reason for distillation. I did some initial testing (posting an Automatic sample to my web service) and so far it’s immediate (me > WS > Vera) - of course this assumes the automatic functions correctly.

I should be receiving it early next week so I’ll try to keep people posted once I’ve used it for a couple of weeks.

Samples from their API.

{"id":"E_63db5c25ffd955ba","user":{"id":"2fcd8161801e95d1e615"},"type":"ignition:on","created_at":1383448450201,"time_zone":"America/Los_Angeles","location":{"lat":37.757076,"lon":-122.448120,"accuracy_m":10},"vehicle":{//VehicleObject}}

{"id":"E_63db5c25ffd955ba","user":{"id":"2fcd8161801e95d1e615"},"type":"mil:on","created_at":1383448450201,"time_zone":"America/Los_Angeles","location":{"lat":37.757076,"lon":-122.448120,"accuracy_m":10},"vehicle":{//VehicleObject},"dtcs":[{"code":"P0442","description":"Small fuel vapor leak in EVAP system","start":1383448450301}]}

{"id":"E_63db5c25ffd955ba","user":{"id":"2fcd8161801e95d1e615"},"type":"ignition:off","created_at":1383448450201,"time_zone":"America/Los_Angeles","location":{"lat":37.757076,"lon":-122.448120,"accuracy_m":10},"vehicle":{//VehicleObject}}

[quote=“reneboer, post:3, topic:186109”]Hi,

Do you have some recommendations for configuring it? I’m trying to get it working reliably on an Android 5.0 phone but I haven’t after a more than a week of tinkering with the radius settings. It sometimes fires at random when at home; result: GF not happy that the TV and lights go out. It sometimes does not fire at all; result: me not happy that lights and radio stayed on, or when driving off to work it does an exit and a minute later quickly does a enter followed by leave; result: neighbors this I’m running a disco ;D.

As I have similar issues with the location functions in Tasker I am starting to think it may be my phone (can’t be me, can it 8) ). But GF doesn’t let me use her phone for experiments ::).

Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers Rene.[/quote]

[quote=“reneboer, post:3, topic:186109”]Hi,

Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers Rene.[/quote]

Rene, I don’t want to be cheeky so I will not make any GF jokes here.

We are aware of the random firing and are working to resolve it. I am personally not happy with Android 5.0 but it has nothing to do with the geofencing issue. I asked the Dev Team if they need additional logs on this. If they do I will be in touch privately.

We will add additional functionality and multiple users in future updates.

We agree. The current implementation is just the first step with geofencing. Will will add additional functionality including multiple users in future updates.

Some thoughts:

Are you using Geofence detection on Vera or on the phone? If it is on the phone, you could do two factor detection. Inside the Geofence, plus connected to home wi-fi, or cell near.

I decided that Geofencing was to problematic for me. I recently installed a garage door tilt sensor, and now have Vera text (SMS) me if the garage door is opened, or a door is unlocked (but only if Vera knows I am away). When my phone receives that message, I have Tasker turn on my wi-fi. If the phone subsequently connects to my home wi-fi, Tasker sets my phone to the “at home” state, and sends a command to Vera to set it to home state (if no home wi-fi connection is made within 2 minutes, I turn wi-fi back off). This works quite reliably for me.

Rather than using Vera generated SMS text messages which are limited in number, I instead utilize my email server to send an email to the secret email to SMS email address. Sending this message also has the added benefit of being a home intrusion detection mechanism, should I receive it while not near home.

I am having all kinds of problems with Geofencing and I am wondering if you guys have any input. It seems extremely unreliable.
I am on the latest UI7 on a vera lite and have setup only one user on my iphone. The phone does show the vera app to be using Geofencing.
I have also setup a couple of test scenes to be triggered by geofencing and made it change the house mode. The first day, entering and exiting did not trigger anything.
The second day I get a notification on my phone for entering and exiting… well it happened once but not the second time but it did not trigger any scene or change my house mode.
On the third day (yesderday) upon coming home, I get a notification and my scenes and home modes trigger. Today again, I exit and nothing happens, no trigger, no notification… What am I doing wrong? So far it seems to have worked correctly once.

[quote=“anhman, post:8, topic:186109”]I am having all kinds of problems with Geofencing and I am wondering if you guys have any input. It seems extremely unreliable.
I am on the latest UI7 on a vera lite and have setup only one user on my iphone. The phone does show the vera app to be using Geofencing.
I have also setup a couple of test scenes to be triggered by geofencing and made it change the house mode. The first day, entering and exiting did not trigger anything.
The second day I get a notification on my phone for entering and exiting… well it happened once but not the second time but it did not trigger any scene or change my house mode.
On the third day (yesderday) upon coming home, I get a notification and my scenes and home modes trigger. Today again, I exit and nothing happens, no trigger, no notification… What am I doing wrong? So far it seems to have worked correctly once.[/quote]

Geofencing alone is not a 100% reliable deal.
Using an Iphone makes it worse
Using Vera’s built in not so well geofence setup makes it even worse.

I use my geofence in combination with a local detection like PING plugin or using router script to check for local phone connectivity. ON an iOS device I was using geofence in iviri and recnetly switched to VERAMATE for geofencing only.

Geofence relies alot on your phones accuracy which relies on cell tower triangulation. Reception and carrier is key. Also the data needs to be send back to vera which also relies on cell reception. When you leave from your house your phone drops the wifi and switches over to 3g/4g/LTE or your cell network. During this time problems happen, same when returning. It’s best to keep your circle big enough that when your crossing that geofence you have already switched to solid internet connection. You can test by leaving wifi off also.

@aa6vh

I’m assuming your secret email to SMS is (depending on carrier) something like mine, which is #######@vtext.com (Verizon)

May I ask how you get the verification code from Vera for that email address when setting it up? Because the SMS is limited to 140 characters I can’t see the 4 digit code - it gets eliminated because it’s further in the message and, unlike a traditional long-winded text message, the excess over 140 characters does not get broken into a 2nd trailing SMS.

I would appreciate your advice on how you overcame that.

Thanks

[quote=“Marc Shenker, post:5, topic:186109”]Rene, I don’t want to be cheeky so I will not make any GF jokes here.

We are aware of the random firing and are working to resolve it. I am personally not happy with Android 5.0 but it has nothing to do with the geofencing issue. I asked the Dev Team if they need additional logs on this. If they do I will be in touch privately.

We will add additional functionality and multiple users in future updates.[/quote]
It’s Friday so I thought let’s put some GF jokes in for a change ;). If you need anything let me know. Glad to help.

Cheers Rene.

[quote=“ctguess, post:10, topic:186109”]I’m assuming your secret email to SMS is (depending on carrier) something like mine, which is #######@vtext.com (Verizon)

May I ask how you get the verification code from Vera for that email address when setting it up? Because the SMS is limited to 140 characters I can’t see the 4 digit code - it gets eliminated because it’s further in the message and, unlike a traditional long-winded text message, the excess over 140 characters does not get broken into a 2nd trailing SMS.

I would appreciate your advice on how you overcame that.

Thanks[/quote]

Rather than utilize the Vera email server, I use my ISP’s. My ISP supplies up to five email accounts as part of my internet package, so I just used one of the unused accounts.

There is a simple LUA code procedure for sending email, as described in the third post of this thread:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,8904.msg59251.html#msg59251

You have to find out what the proper parameters are for your ISP’s mail server, but the parameters will be the same as used when you set up a third party email application.

And by using your own email, you are not limited in the number of emails you can send, or any other restrictions placed on Vera email.

Pro tip: Since the email account password is part of source of the send_email function, do not use your main email account. In the unlikely event someone gets into your Vera box, they would be able to see that password.

I’ have the same issues with the Geofencing only being about 70% reliable and I only have a home fence set up with a 100 meter radius. I’ve augmented it with the DD-WRT WiFi router detecting if my Android phone is connecting to Wifi (I’m coming home) or disconnecting from it (I’m leaving)

I have it (un)setting a multiswitch button on both my Ui5 and Ui7 Veras. That button triggers a enter or exit script that amongst others, sets the Mouse modes status on the Ui7. If the house modes change (indicating Geofencing worked) it also runs an away or home script on the Ui5 Vera. I’m achieving a 98% reliability rate with this belt and suspenders approach.

The DD-WRT approach, in combination with the multi-switch can be used to track multiple phones. I have it track both my personal and work cells. During work days if either shows home and the other shows away, it will use tasker on a freedompop (no monthly fee) cell to dial my away cell. That’s all the reminder I need to make a u-turn back home and pick it up.

Like others, using any single indication, ping, DPHCP requests, GeoFence has proven to be unreliable.

GeoFence can often give an error if you have a relatively normal HOME zone.
If the GPS does not work reliably inside, it might switch to cell tower triangulation, which is unreliable because of unequal signal loss based on location of phone in the house. This transition can put you outside your GeoFence.

Pings/DHCP relies on phones mainting Wifi connection, which is a problem when cell phone batteries are weak, or phones try to conserve power.

I Use concentric GeoFence Zones to indicate Arrival/Leaving.
I consider to be home the first time I enter the inner zone after entering the Outer zone.
I consider to be gone the first time I leave the outer zone after leaving the inner zone.

My phone only needs to be ON while traveling … in this case I am always plugged into car charger.

But how could you configure a Vera to interpret progressive conditions like that? First inner fence; then outer fence? I don’t see those options in my scene GUI. :wink:

;D

But how could you configure a Vera to interpret progressive conditions like that? First inner fence; then outer fence? I don't see those options in my scene GUI.
With PLEG Sequence expressions of course!

Rather than reply to each individual post I’m just going to reply here.

Currently geofencing works for only one user on one device. The Development Team is working on expanding the number of users and the number of devices. We are aware of the reliability aware of the other issues and are working on resolving them.

I have geofencing set up for two users on my Vera with UI5. I imagine you could do use this same setup on UI7, and bypass the built-in Vera app.

To establish the geofences: for my Android I use the app “Vera Proximity” and for my wife’s iPhone I have the app “VeraMate”. Each of those apps has specific geofences setup that activate a virtual switch (either directly or through a scene). When I am home/away switch 1 is turned on/off. When my wife is away, switch 2 is turned off. I then use PLEG to turn switch 3 on/off based on the status of switch 1 & 2. If 1 AND 2 are off, switch 3 is off. If switch 1 OR 2 is on, then switch 3 is on. Switch 3 is essentially my “home/away mode” This same setup could be expanded to theoretically as many users as you want.

I know there are other ways to do the Android part of this using Tasker and AutHomationHD.

VeraMate has a good FAQ about multiple users: VeraMate - FAQ - GeoFences. The biggest draw back to VeraMate is they have a limited maximum ~1 mile geofence. I have asked and they have stated they will increase that maximum in future versions of the app.

[quote=“lingerba, post:19, topic:186109”]I have geofencing set up for two users on my Vera with UI5. I imagine you could do use this same setup on UI7, and bypass the built-in Vera app.

To establish the geofences: for my Android I use the app “Vera Proximity” and for my wife’s iPhone I have the app “VeraMate”. Each of those apps has specific geofences setup that activate a virtual switch (either directly or through a scene). When I am home/away switch 1 is turned on/off. When my wife is away, switch 2 is turned off. I then use PLEG to turn switch 3 on/off based on the status of switch 1 & 2. If 1 AND 2 are off, switch 3 is off. If switch 1 OR 2 is on, then switch 3 is on. Switch 3 is essentially my “home/away mode” This same setup could be expanded to theoretically as many users as you want.

I know there are other ways to do the Android part of this using Tasker and AutHomationHD.

VeraMate has a good FAQ about multiple users: VeraMate - FAQ - GeoFences. The biggest draw back to VeraMate is they have a limited maximum ~1 mile geofence. I have asked and they have stated they will increase that maximum in future versions of the app.[/quote]

This has been said many times, but people still want only the VERA app for some reason. With Vera Proximity you have alot of options also not just multi users. Alot of people have been using this for years. But since ui7 and vera has added a halfbaked geofence tool it’s like a whole new begining for alot of people. It only causes struggles, complaints and ranting posts about geofence issues, when we know the built in geofence on ui7 is severely lacking for now. We have options for a reason.