GE Z-Wave Ceiling Fan Wall Switch (12730) support

I recently purchased and installed the GE Z-Wave Ceiling Fan Wall Switch (12730). It is detected as a light dimmer so those are the controls I have access to currently. I’ve opted to use the up/down by 10% switch which isn’t too bad. It works something like: 0% = Off, 10%-30% = Low, 40=60 = Med, 70-100=High/Full. So while it works easy enough for me to have my family using it on their own with low/medium frustration, it’d be really nice to be able to define the increments at which the dimmer goes up.

Is this something I can modify now? I’d like there to be Off (0), Low (30%), Med (60%) and High (100%) options to limit extra button touches and the user not knowing the thresholds between settings.

Thanks!!

You are right on the money here, Brian. I just installed a GE Z-wave Fan Control switch and don’t like the fact it is a “Light Dimmer.” I tested it out to see what values are for what speeds and got inconsistent results. For example, one time medium was 58% and the next time it was 41%. Similarly, high was 65% one time and the next time 100%. Sometimes, the switch didn’t send and change in status to the controller!
My hope was to extract the default values the switch sends to the controller and put in 4 buttons, Off/Low/Med/High. But since it wasn’t consistent, it would loose sync with the controller. I might still pursue changing the profile and seeing how it performs.

Any one else seeing a similar performance?

Understand that the GE products do not send status updates to the controller. Vera would need to poll the device to get the status. Also Vera has no concept of a fan controller as they are technically a dimmer, so a dimmer will be seen in vera. Same holds true for the leviton fan controllers.

• Garrett

I have had a pretty regular experience with the fan so far. Bumping it from 0 to 10% puts the fan on, going back down to 0 turns it off. I’ll play with it some more to see if I can replicate the inconsistent behavior reported.

[quote=“garrettwp”]Also Vera has no concept of a fan controller as they are technically a dimmer, so a dimmer will be seen in vera. Same holds true for the leviton fan controllers.

• Garrett[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll have to search some and see how I can set a dimmer to specific %. Perhaps via lua. Maybe I can make scenes for low/med/high.

The current 10% up/down increments on the HomeWave dimmer button control are not user friendly enough for fan control.

Any further investigations on this. Surely Vera has included a fan slider xml by now?