GE Portable Smart Motion Sensor (34193/ZW6302)

Has anyone gotten this device to function properly?

After inclusion I get two devices, 1x GenericIO (parent) and 1x motion sensor (child).

I’ve modified the parent device to be a motion sensor -
device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1
device_file: D_MotionSensor1.xml
device_json: D_MotionSensor1.json

Still no luck…

Also, I’ve noticed that a number of new devices that I’ve added that support Z-Wave Plus are showing up as two device just like this one. Any idea why this is the case? For devices that behave like this and actually function properly, I’ve been simply hiding the child device.

Update:
After changing the category_num and subcategory_num to 4 and 3 respectively, the parent device is successfully indicating motion. I am still very curious why the child device is being created.

Any reason to go with this over the known to work Aeotec Mulitsensor 6? I just picked up 4 more (two, 2 packs) of them the other day on special for 114.98 or around 28.75 each from buydig.com.

That is a great deal! Buydig is showing that a single 2-pack is $119.98.

The ZW100A is a good sensor, I bought the GE simply to check it out.

[quote=“shward1, post:1, topic:196455”]Has anyone gotten this device to function properly?

After inclusion I get two devices, 1x GenericIO (parent) and 1x motion sensor (child).

I’ve modified the parent device to be a motion sensor -
device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:MotionSensor:1

Still no luck…

Also, I’ve noticed that a number of new devices that I’ve added that support Z-Wave Plus are showing up as two device just like this one. Any idea why this is the case? For devices that behave like this and actually function properly, I’ve been simply hiding the child device.

Update:
After changing the category_num and subcategory_num to 4 and 3 respectively, the parent device is successfully indicating motion. I am still very curious why the child device is being created.
[/quote]

Perfect! I applied your suggested changes to the “Parent” and automatically were copied to the child.

Changed:

category_num to 4
subcategory_num to 3

Now it works great!!! Nice detective work @shward1!!!

Can you guys help me out? I’m not able to get this to work correctly.

I tried pairing it. It shows up as two separate devices. One is an “I/O Device” and the other is “Motion Sensor”.

The “I/O Device” shows a battery (100%) and when I click the > arrow to edit settings, the ONLY settings I can edit are the name, the room, and there’s an [ On ] and [ Off ] (toggle) button. Nothing that’s mentioned above is available to me.

However, the “Motion Sensor” device shows all the options as above. The funky thing is that the I/O Device appears to be the parent, but I cannot make the changes to the parent device because there are no settings available to me!

Right now it’s doing nothing. I can’t tell if it’s communicating to the Vera at all. No alerts, nothing.

Any help?

I have some stuff to add:

When looking thru the LuaUPnP.log logfile, I see the following strings:

10 12/14/17 22:33:29.928 Parsing device 40: template urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:GenericIO:1 controlled via 1 room 1 IPaddress mac disabled 0 <0x778c1320> 09 12/14/17 22:33:34.933 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::Run device 40 Basic Report room 1 type urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:GenericIO:1 cat 11:0 id 15 parent 1/0x958190 upnp: 0 plugin:0 pnp:0 mac: ip: <0x778c1320>
–This tells me that it is indeed treating device 40 (the parent device which I cannot edit the settings for!) as a “GenericIO” device.

Also I see this when the device is triggered and subsequently "un"triggered in 4 minutes:

24 12/14/17 22:37:17.361 ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate node 15 device 40 class 0x20 command 0x3 m_iFrameID 70/12112432 data 0xff (#) <0x76c2e520> 24 12/14/17 22:37:17.362 ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Basic_Report node 15 device 40 now is 255 was 0/-99999 <0x76c2e520> 24 12/14/17 22:41:26.345 ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate node 15 device 40 class 0x20 command 0x3 m_iFrameID 115/11629960 data 0x0 (#) <0x76c2e520> 24 12/14/17 22:41:26.346 ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Basic_Report node 15 device 40 now is 0 was 1/-99999 <0x76c2e520>

I guess I’m actually happy to find out that at the very least it is talking to the Vera, even if it’s not making sense.

Any smart people have an idea?

I picked up a few of these at Walmart today on clearance for $19/ea.

Initially, I had a problem pairing, so I had to try a few times until it showed up properly. Then I followed the instructions in the first post from shward1, and it’s working properly. It still shows two devices for each physical motion sensor, so I just followed the instructions here to hide the child device: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=25495.0 (and then rebooted Vera for it to hide).

It’s working really well. Much faster response time than my older Ecolink PIR-ZWAVE2 motion sensors (which are not ZWave Plus).

I may have spoken too soon about this motion sensor. It’s used in a scene with a light switch for a closet, and last night, the closet light remained on indefinitely (well, at least a few hours). When I looked at the status of the motion sensor, it showed that it was constantly detecting motion. I manually turned off the light. By the morning, the sensor had stopped detecting motion, but when I walked into the closet, there was about a 30 second delay before the lights turned on.

The older GE Z-Wave light switch that I have in the closet can’t use Associations, so I just bought a newer GE Z-Wave Plus switch to replace it. Then I plan on setting up Associations between the motion sensor and the light switch. Hopefully that will help (assuming the problem is with the motion sensor communicating back to the Vera Edge, which is a pretty far distance).

UPDATE - The GE motion sensor is working reliably using an Association with GE switch 14291. At first, the Association wasn’t working… motion wasn’t triggering the switch. Then I read the manual for the motion sensor and saw there were different settings between Notification, Basic Set and Basic Report. I changed the motion sensor to Basic Set, and used Group ID 1 for the Association with the switch, and after waiting for the wake up period, it worked. It works very quickly, under 1 second to turn on the light switch. Depending on how far away it is, I wouldn’t count on using this motion sensor for scenes on the Vera controller, however, if you plan on using it with an Association to another device, I think you’ll be happy with that.

[quote=“scottarbaugh, post:7, topic:196455”]I picked up a few of these at Walmart today on clearance for $19/ea.

Initially, I had a problem pairing, so I had to try a few times until it showed up properly. Then I followed the instructions in the first post from shward1, and it’s working properly. It still shows two devices for each physical motion sensor, so I just followed the instructions here to hide the child device: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=25495.0 (and then rebooted Vera for it to hide).

It’s working really well. Much faster response time than my older Ecolink PIR-ZWAVE2 motion sensors (which are not ZWave Plus).[/quote]

I installed this as a generic Z-Wave device and was successful. I also have two devices. I used the code to get rid of the parent, but I’m unsure it really was. It’s Icon had a battery meter next to it.

When I rebooted I only have one motion sensor, which I suspect is a good thing. I installed it in the hallway to trigger the hallway lights to turn on in response to motion, but haven’t got this to work yet. Anybody know what I could be doing wrong or did you do it differently and were successful?