GE "Load Sense" Lamp Module

Greetings

I just purchased couple of GE Lamp Module Dimmer (Model 45602). Little about the module before I ask the question

1. Has two outlets, one for Zwave device and another one as bypass and is always ON
  2. There is a feature provided (default disabled) for Load Sense for the Non-Zwave outlet
    From Manual “The Load-Sense feature on this Z-Wave product will turn the power to the connected device ON when a change in the load is detected.”

How to Setup: “Load sensing is disabled when shipped from the factory. This feature can be enabled if desired. Setting parameter 29 to a value of 1 will enable the Load Sense function.”

Question #1: Did I understand correctly that if I put a resistive load (example a power on Lamp using Lamp Switch) connected to non-Zwave outlet, it will power on the Z-wave outlet as well?

Question#2: How can I set the parameter in Vera. This is what I am doing : Setup-> Devices-> This Lamp Module → Click Plus on Right → Advanced →
New Service: Load Sense
New Variable: 29
New Value: 1
Is this the correct way to set the param? Additionally no matter what I do I am not able to get this feature working for any of the outlets.

Question #3: There are some exiting parameters for load example: LoadLevelStatus, LoadLevelTarget – where can I definition for these parameters?

Last if you have successfully used the load sense feature, please explain how?

Thanks

For you question 2:

You want to use the “Custom Z-Wave Settings” button in the devices section after clicking the “+”. From there click the “Add configuration setting”. You enter the variable number (29), the size (you will need to set this from the lamp module’s manual) and the value you want assign (1).

For question 3:
The same process put you can use the “monitor only” option for data size and you provide a value just the variable number. You can then see the value from the device in the “Current Value” column

Most of the z-wave lamp modules have a “load sensing” feature. This means that it you have a lamp plugged into the Z-wave controlled outlet, if you switch on the lamp using the lamp’s switch, it will power it on, even if Vera has it turned off. Like with Z-wave wall switches, this allows you to function normally if Vera is down, or if someone just tries to turn the lamp on the old-fashioned way. The “pass-through” outlet is unaffected by any of this.

Anyone know- is there such a thing as a lamp module that load sense off?

Does anyone know- are the ge and schlage are just rebranded ACT zdp100’s as the pictures all look the same. To top it off I bought a shlage door lock starter kit for my business some time back, and it came with the schlage ‘bridge’, the door lock, AND a ZDP100 as the included lamp module. Not sure if that was a mistake or they dont even bother sticking a shlage label on them? It came directly from amazon and had all the seals on the box so it wasn’t some shister…

oh and the GE- configuration parameters are exactly the same as the ACT/Schlage.

Appreciate all the Reponses

“Trying to be a good Citizen” and here’s the summary

Load Sense feature works but it is for the Zwave outlet only (left side if you are facing the plugged in module) and NOT for the bypass, that is Always On, outlet.

How it works: Even if the Zwave outlet (left outlet) is on OFF state you can still power it on using traditional way by manually switching the connected device example a lamp AKA by putting the load on it. The moment you put a resistive load (switch on the lamp manually) the module senses the load and powers on the Lamp for you. Also in the next poll the Lamp module will be shown as ON (full power).

I can think of two scenarios where this can be useful: Being lazy to find the remote/iPhone/iPad to power on case scene is not configured for it  OR technically challenged guests arrive at you home.

Default for Load Sense is OFF. In order to enable this you need to add the parameter 29 Hex Value 1 in “Custom Z-Wave Settings” under the devices for the module. (and not in Advanced that was the problem, in my case)

Thanks

Keeper

Thanks for the info, I just setup one of my GE modules and it works great! My girlfriend is always complaining that she can’t go to a light and turn it on with the switch on the lamp…she hates hunting for the remote or pushing down to hit the button behind the couch. I didn’t realize that these modules can do this…what about Intermatic HAXX modules???

Glad this feature will work out for you. I only have outdoor Intermatic modules, although needs checking, but I dont think that it will have a feature like this but will update.

Further, update from GE/JAsco Support (opened the ticket on Friday Jan 26th): I just got the call from Ryan, Support who wanted to simulate before making a statement. Per Ryan, GE will be taking away this feature and some of the items are shipped with old lables but do not work (as in Load Sense does not work). Going forward GE will no longer will be supporting “Load Sense” on lamp module poduct. He added that support group did recieve several complaints about the same.

Well, please treat this as unofficial till we really see GE making this announcement and/or updates the lables and PLEASE dont shoot the messenger :slight_smile:

Cheers

Keeper

[quote=“Keeper, post:5, topic:165451”]…

Default for Load Sense is OFF. In order to enable this you need to add the parameter 29 Hex Value 1 in “Custom Z-Wave Settings” under the devices for the module. (and not in Advanced that was the problem, in my case)

Thanks

Keeper[/quote]

although i am all but certain the act and schalge and ge /jasco devices are all the same thing rebadged- loadsenseing bit is 29 on all of them. The schlage/act defualts to it ON. I guess GE thiks that it is not a valuable feature or that it would confuse people?

I early intermatic’s dont. I am not sure if they updated the firmware in newer ones but i dont think so as no place says they have it.

I tried setting this in an intermatic Lamp module, no go. it doesnt seem to work

Any other modules out there support this “load sensing” feature? I’m in need of about 5-6 of them for high traffic area lights that I want to be able to turn on via the switch in the lamp

thanks!

I’m confused about the benefit of this functionality, if you let people use the switch on the lamp to turn it on, won’t they also use that switch to turn it off preventing Vera from turning it on?

yep-

it certainly has it’s limits.

[quote=“myhomeserver, post:10, topic:165451”]I tried setting this in an intermatic Lamp module, no go. it doesnt seem to work

Any other modules out there support this “load sensing” feature? I’m in need of about 5-6 of them for high traffic area lights that I want to be able to turn on via the switch in the lamp

thanks![/quote]

schlage/act/ge/jasco which all seem to be the same rebranded hardware are the only that I am aware of. intermatic does’t do it. And I dont believe hawking does either.

[quote=“myhomeserver, post:6, topic:165451”]Thanks for the info, I just setup one of my GE modules and it works great! My girlfriend is always complaining that she can’t go to a light and turn it on with the switch on the lamp…she hates hunting for the remote or pushing down to hit the button behind the couch. [/quote] Same problem here.

[quote=“mikeholczer, post:11, topic:165451”]I’m confused about the benefit of this functionality, if you let people use the switch on the lamp to turn it on, won’t they also use that switch to turn it off preventing Vera from turning it on?[/quote] I think because it is only looking for a sensed load, you’d have to train the family to flick the switch on-off-on every time they used it.

I thought about using the switch-leg wired to the manual button on the module (your house wiring has to support this, but it is common to have a switch-leg going to your half-hot). Granted this means having two small low voltage wires (22AWG or a pair from Cat5) coming from behind the switch plate and into module’s manual button, then just soldered to internal contacts of that button. This would give you dry contact control of the module and the wall switch wouldn’t be carrying any voltage, just making the contact needed to operate the module. It could be hidden well enough to pass the WAF, but if you’ve already sold them on external modules then you’ll probably be fine.

Does anyone know if GE/Evolve, etc. has in fact removed the load sensing feature on their z wave outlets? And if so, do you know why?

I have several Evolve LOM-15 outlets that I cannot get to “sense” the load by changing variable 29 =1. Are there any brands of outlets that DO sense loads?

[quote=“dcarrington, post:15, topic:165451”]Does anyone know if GE/Evolve, etc. has in fact removed the load sensing feature on their z wave outlets? And if so, do you know why?

I have several Evolve LOM-15 outlets that I cannot get to “sense” the load by changing variable 29 =1. Are there any brands of outlets that DO sense loads?[/quote]
Please don’t resurrected a thread that has been inactive for 3.5 years when your question is only tangentially related, at best. Start a new thread.

To the best of my knowledge the LOM-15 never had load sense capability. Where did you determine that it did or that parameter 29 was valid for LOM-15? I know of no current wall outlets that support load sensing.

The load sense feature is available on many plugin modules including the Evolve LPM-15 Appliance module, Evolve LDM-15 Dimmer module and the GE 45602 Dimmer module

Sorry!!! My bad.