I finally got the GE NX-8e working. i discovered the ribbon 232 cable on the board was incorrectly installed backwards when the system was installed, the red line on the ribbon cable which represents pin 1 needs to be facing the outside of the board rather than the inside. Once this got chaged Vera3 correctly configured the Plugin for the GE security system. Now it all works perfectly.
Thanks for the inital advice on the 9600 baud rather than the 38400 setting. I am happy to assist anyone who has a GE NX-8e system on the use of the right USB/RS2-32 cable that works with the mi casa verde and the configuration settings on the GE alarm system as well as on the mi casa verde.