GE 12729 not reliable

[quote=“mikoz, post:20, topic:190563”]Well, I’m not customer reports, I am just one guy… people can make their own decisions, and I doubt ge will stop making zwave switches based on my post here.

However the facts are pretty hard to refute with respect to this particular model when used with Vera. I tried a few of them and I gave it a fair shot. It simply didn’t work well, there’s no denying that. The Leviton worked immediately and had no issues. It’s not a fluke.

It’s not apples and oranges. They are both in wall zwave dimmer switches. The only difference is the cosmetic Appearance of the switch. The Leviton is a bit fancier, but it accomplishes the same goal. The ge had no LEDs, not sure why you say they are programmable.[/quote]

GE rockers have a blue LED on the model comparable to what your replaced. Once again Apples to oranges.
You buy a HONDA motorcycle and say it sucks your never buying Honda again and you go by a Toyota “CAR” and say it’s much better now. Both are transportation honda makes cars too and are more known for that. But since your bad experience with a HONDA motorcycle lets bash HONDA and clam honda’s can’t do XXXX, just that the motorcycle doesn’t have A/C like your toyta car does now. It’s not a brand problem it was a problem of the particular model you bought.

That toggle switch you bought is not the normal line of switches GE produces or what everyone commonly uses/buys. It’s a one off specialty switch which you had to have due to it’s old styling, yet you replaced it with a new style rocker but of a different brand only to bash the brand not the style or model of switch.

The bigger problem was the last bash post you made, made no representation of the toggle switch rather of only GE as a whole and that was alot of false claims. All 4 of them are false actually on every switch except the toggle style I guess (never bought a toggle myself).

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:21, topic:190563”][quote=“mikoz, post:20, topic:190563”]Well, I’m not customer reports, I am just one guy… people can make their own decisions, and I doubt ge will stop making zwave switches based on my post here.

However the facts are pretty hard to refute with respect to this particular model when used with Vera. I tried a few of them and I gave it a fair shot. It simply didn’t work well, there’s no denying that. The Leviton worked immediately and had no issues. It’s not a fluke.

It’s not apples and oranges. They are both in wall zwave dimmer switches. The only difference is the cosmetic Appearance of the switch. The Leviton is a bit fancier, but it accomplishes the same goal. The ge had no LEDs, not sure why you say they are programmable.[/quote]

GE rockers have a blue LED on the model comparable to what your replaced. Once again Apples to oranges.
You buy a HONDA motorcycle and say it sucks your never buying Honda again and you go by a Toyota “CAR” and say it’s much better now. Both are transportation honda makes cars too and are more known for that. But since your bad experience with a HONDA motorcycle lets bash HONDA and clam honda’s can’t do XXXX, just that the motorcycle doesn’t have A/C like your toyta car does now. It’s not a brand problem it was a problem of the particular model you bought.

That toggle switch you bought is not the normal line of switches GE produces or what everyone commonly uses/buys. It’s a one off specialty switch which you had to have due to it’s old styling, yet you replaced it with a new style rocker but of a different brand only to bash the brand not the style or model of switch.

The bigger problem was the last bash post you made, made no representation of the toggle switch rather of only GE as a whole and that was alot of false claims. All 4 of them are false actually on every switch except the toggle style I guess (never bought a toggle myself).[/quote]

You’re really pushing it…it’s a light switch, extending the analogy into cars seems a bit far fetched. It accomplishes two purposes, well, in theory at least: let’s the user turn off and on the switch and allows remote control. That’s it.

Perhaps you work for ge and I’ve hit a nerve, Since you’ve never purchased or used this switch it seems kind of odd that you’d take that stance, as you have no experience with it.

Oh well,this is now counter productive.

One of my (four years old) GE 12729 dimming toggle switches just died. Seems they commonly develop a “clicking” issue following either a power outage or after manipulating the air gap slider.

I had turned off my porch lights using the slider, last night because of Halloween. When I went to turn them back on, slid the slider right (active), and immediately heard “click-click…click-click-click” randomly from inside the switch. Classic problem. Simultaneously, my porch lights flickered wildly.

In the process of troubleshooting, Vera alternately reported the 12729 as “cannot be reached” or “back online”, irrespective of where the slider was set. I attempted Unpairing, no luck. PORCH LIGHT remains in my list of Vera devices. Tried doing a Delete instead. Still no luck.

Does anyone know how to FORCE a device to part ways with Vera Plus? I’ve never had something cling to Vera so tightly. Delete usually works!?! I’m using f/w revision 7.32 (beta) which is otherwise rock solid.

Thanks for any guidance!

P.S. Happy news: GE/JASCO are happy to replace faulty units; you just have to call their toll-free support line. A person will answer, take down your name and shipping information, then send you an email. You respond to that email with proof-of-purchase and a current photo of the (installed) non-working product. Then they cross-ship you the replacement. Nice!