GD00Z-4, Lift-Master Security+ Professional Line (~1998), Vera 3 UI7

Hi all,

I tried searching the forum, and couldn’t find much more information relevant to my setup.

Bought a GD00Z-4 Garage door opener from Amazon and am having trouble. Wired it up, and paired it fine. Syncs with Vera UI7 and I can see signals send. However, the door doesn’t move and the device doesn’t beep or flash.

I tried calling Linear this morning, and they want you to pay per minute for tech support, unless you purchased from Lowes and are using their smart home controller (eg not Vera).

In any event, I emailed Linear, but doubt they’re respond anytime soon.
Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of devices not compatible with the Linear GD00Z-4? My opener is from 1998 but it is a security+ model (whatever that means) so perhaps there’s some encryption step that is causing my issues?

My email was as follows:

[right][right]"Am using a GD00Z-4 with Vera3 z-wave controller, and have been unable to get any kind of response from the Linear device.

I am able to pair it to my z-wave controller (one beep, followed by 3 confirmation beeps) without issue. It shows up in my devices list with no issues, and I’m also able to use the Vera app (UI7) to send signals successfully.

However, the garage door doesn’t move. The device device beep or flash lights, or make any indication that it is working.

I’ve verified that the connections are correct.
There are 3 connectors in the back of the garage door opener, labeled “1, 2, and 3”. There are two wall mounted push buttons, each with a pair of wires connected to screws 1 and 2. There are also 2 pairs of wires that connect from the garage door sensors to terminals 2 and 3.

I have the GD00Z-4 wired to terminals 1 and 2.

My security system was there when I purchased the home, so I don’t have the instruction manuals to figure out the model number. It doesn’t indicate a model number on the device itself either, but I can see that it was manufactured in January of 1998. The side label says

“Lift-Master
The Professional Line
1/3 H.P.
Security+”

FCC: ID HBW1127

Can you tell if I have a defective device or if my garage door opener is not compatible with the Linear opener because some proprietary security protocol is being used…?
"[/right][/right]

The GD00Z-4 will work with this LiftMaster opener.

My first guess for it not working for you is that you have it wired incorrectly. However, even then I would expect the beeping and flashing to work. Though I could be mistaken about this as I have never intentionally miswired one of these.

My next guess is that your Vera is out of range and the commands are not actually reaching the GD00Z-4. Moving the Vera close to the GD00Z-4, at least temporarily, can prove or disprove this theory.

The next most likley option, after the previous two, is a defective GD00Z-4.

Thanks z-waver. It pairs just fine though at the current range (probably 5 feet away) even when I delete and re-add the thing. Does the device have to be sitting directly on the vera for an extended period of time after pairing?

As far as the wiring,… there’s really no way to do it wrong since the order doesn’t matter. There’s only 3 terminals, and the manual switches are connected to terminals 1 and 2, same as the GD00Z.

The only thing that I can think of is that there’s one sensor also connected to terminal 2. Each sensor has a pair of wires, so one to terminal 2 and one to terminal 3 for each sensor (left and right).

The device does beep and flash when I pair it (e.g. press the little button) after adding to network (after pressing z-wave button on vera 3). However, it doesn’t do anything after that. Doesn’t make a peep.

I do get notifications that I can see in the UI7 dashboard, for some random tilt sensor phase changes. However, nothing beeps or flashes when operated remotely…

[quote=“NewHomeOwner, post:3, topic:185864”]Thanks z-waver. It pairs just fine though at the current range (probably 5 feet away) even when I delete and re-add the thing. Does the device have to be sitting directly on the vera for an extended period of time after pairing?[/quote] The device should not be sitting on Vera, ever. Does Vera remain 5 feet away when you are trying to operate the door opener, or is that just for the pairing?

As far as the wiring,... there's really no way to do it wrong since the order doesn't matter. There's only 3 terminals, and the manual switches are connected to terminals 1 and 2, same as the GD00Z.
I agree, but people continue to surprise me. For instance when they say that there are only three terminals, when in fact there are four.
The only thing that I can think of is that there's one sensor also connected to terminal 2. Each sensor has a pair of wires, so one to terminal 2 and one to terminal 3 for each sensor (left and right).
Does the door operate normally when you press the wall button? If so, it's not the sensors.
The device does beep and flash when I pair it (e.g. press the little button) after adding to network (after pressing z-wave button on vera 3). However, it doesn't do anything after that. Doesn't make a peep.
That was my understanding from your first post.
I do get notifications that I can see in the UI7 dashboard, for some random tilt sensor phase changes.
What are you talking about here? Random phase changes?

Does the Vera dashboard update and correctly indicate open/closed status when you operate the door manually? Have you tried both open and close commands? The GD00Z will not open if it thinks it is already open nor will it close if it thinks it is already closed.

Thank you for your detailed response @z-waver.

The vera3 is actually sitting and plugged into a network port in my garage. The garage door opener is about 5 feet away. It pairs from this distance.

Like others, the GD00Z shows up in my Vera UI7 dashboard as a light bulb. It indicates that it is “ON”, and remains on, even after I flick it to off (just goes to off, greys out, refreshes, then reappears as “ON”). When I check my Vera dashboard, there are occasional messages that say that there was an event. If I pull the tilt sensor off the garage door, and randomly tilt it up and down, it will occasionally register a “change in status” in the vera dashboard. Not always, but sometimes. When I use the web interface and change the status from “ON” to “OFF”, it shows “SUCCESS - Transmit was OK”, but again, nothing happens. The status remains “ON”. No beeps, no flashes, nothing.

I never tried sending a command when the garage door was already open. I just tried it, and the same result as above. Nothing happens although the vera dashboard shows that the command was successfully transmitted.

I can confirm that there are 3 terminals at the back of the unit, labeled 1, 2, and 3. The push buttons work without issues.

The back of my mind thinks it may have something to do with the “Security+ Professional Line” feature of whatever model this is from 1998 (previous homeowner).

I think you have a defective GD00Z.

The GD00Z should operate(at least beep and flash) and you should get accurate open/closed status from the tilt sensor at 5 feet.

If I recall correctly, the Security+ feature was a branding that referred to the wireless remote codes. I think it might have been rolling codes encryption or some such. That was “new” back then and standard today. But it has nothing to do with the wired door activation which is simply a momentary contact closure such as pushing the wall button or touching the wires together.

Thank very much for your help z-waver. I figured as much, as the installation really isn’t difficult…

On the plus side, I’ve been able to get my schlage locks and other linear dimmers installed without issues. This home automation stuff is really addicting!!

Best regards.

Lol, solved it!! Turns out, the battery and little notch contact on the tilt sensor wasn’t making contact. Read in another post that adding a piece of folded paper there for force contact did the trick,… And indeed it did!

Only problem I have now is the polling frequency, which i will adjust down. Once I open the garage door, hitting close within a minute or so changes the status in the mobile UI7 app but doesn’t in real life. I.e, the app says closed but the door remains open.

Anyways, will search the forum on that one. Thanks z-waver!!

What does this look like when paired in Vera? Does it show up as light/lock? etc. Any screen prints? Also, has any one set this up in UI5?

The GD00Z-4 is not supported in UI5.

It does work in UI7.