GCal3 "Calendar" tab 404

Hello,

Thank you for your work on this app. I think it is going to make my life much easier.

I’m able to retrieve events from the google calendar of my choice, but I get a 404 error on the “Calendar” tab. I think it has to do with the J_GCal3_UI7.js file where the URL is built for the calendar that will be embedded. On the version that I downloaded, it seems like the [tt]src[/tt] variable isn’t prepended with “https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?” bit. As well, it looks like the iCal [tt]src[/tt] is changed to a hardcoded value instead of coming from the [tt]api.getDeviceState()[/tt] call.

I’d submit a diff for your review, but I’m really not sure how to go about it, as I’m definitely a newbie here… don’t know your culture, and don’t want to step on toes.

Edit: I read in the docs that iCal display of the calendar is just a 365 day calendar.

[quote=“BigDummy, post:1, topic:188956”]Hello,

Thank you for your work on this app. I think it is going to make my life much easier.

I’m able to retrieve events from the google calendar of my choice, but I get a 404 error on the “Calendar” tab. I think it has to do with the J_GCal3_UI7.js file where the URL is built for the calendar that will be embedded. On the version that I downloaded, it seems like the [tt]src[/tt] variable isn’t prepended with “https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?” bit. As well, it looks like the iCal [tt]src[/tt] is changed to a hardcoded value instead of coming from the [tt]api.getDeviceState()[/tt] call.

I’d submit a diff for your review, but I’m really not sure how to go about it, as I’m definitely a newbie here… don’t know your culture, and don’t want to step on toes.

Edit: I read in the docs that iCal display of the calendar is just a 365 day calendar.[/quote]

Hi - first of all, welcome and don’t worry about toe treading, shin kicking etc. Anything that can make an improvement is welcome - so diff away :smiley:

I suppressed the iCal display because I found many did not work either because of credential requirements or other reasons. At the time I did not have the time to fool around with it - hence the blank calendar.

As to the missing part of the url – the code reads from the variable gc_CalendarID which should be already in the correct form. Take a look at the advanced → variable tab. gc_CalendarID should be something like:

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=[some number]%40group.calendar.google.com.

Note that there is no credential being passed. So to display the calendar, the browser instance needs to be logged in to google (with your credentials). This is likely the cause of the 404 error. A quick way to test is to copy gc_CalendarID and past it into a new browser tab.

Again - this is something that I have not tried to do anything about since the reason for the tab is a hang over from the original gcal. In the old old version (before googles new credentialing and before gc_CalendarID was exposed) I guess it was used to verify that the correct calendar was entered following initial setup.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“Stuart, post:2, topic:188956”]As to the missing part of the url – the code reads from the variable gc_CalendarID which should be already in the correct form. Take a look at the advanced → variable tab. gc_CalendarID should be something like:

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=[some number]%40group.calendar.google.com.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

It actually complicates things :slight_smile: Somehow, I have a working installation, but the gc_CalendarID variable is [some number]%40group.calendar.google.com. My gc_CalendarID does not include the URL prepend.

[quote=“BigDummy, post:3, topic:188956”][quote=“Stuart, post:2, topic:188956”]As to the missing part of the url – the code reads from the variable gc_CalendarID which should be already in the correct form. Take a look at the advanced → variable tab. gc_CalendarID should be something like:

Hope this helps.[/quote]

It actually complicates things :slight_smile: Somehow, I have a working installation, but the gc_CalendarID variable is [some number]%40group.calendar.google.com. My gc_CalendarID does not include the URL prepend.[/quote]

I suspect there is some combination of browser version etc conspiring against us :frowning:
Vera is “famous” for it’s UI rendition … Which Vera model are you using and which browser version ?

Of course it’s possible that there is something else going on. gc_CalendarID is parsed out from the calendar info that is input at setup.

If you are using a google calendar you should copy the information from the google calendar setup. It’s in the section called Embed this calendar and will look something like this:

Is this what you input ? Basically gc_CalendarID is created by stripping off everything before “https” and everything after “google.com” i.e. it relies on “https://www.google.com/calendar/embed” being present in the input

Note that it is still possible for the plugin to function with a different input format since the url for reading events from the calendar has a different form and only uses the bit that looks like “src=[some number] %40group.calendar.google.com

Note also that it is not correct to directly input into gc_CalendarID - you must input the "<iframe … /iframe> string using the Control Tab.

I have a Vera Edge which I bought a couple of weeks ago from amazon. I’ve had problems using Microsoft Edge with it, so I’ve switched back and forth between it and Chrome. I think mostly the issues with the browser lay in the javascript UA detection rather than in any actual problems, but I didn’t really care to figure it out because, well, Chrome.

When I was trying to get GCal3 running, I had a hell of a time because apparently I can’t follow instructions. Instead of using the entire iframe tag, I tried multiple times with different values… the URL, the URL without the s in https, many different types of accounts at the google developers site. I’m pretty sure I didn’t enter the values using the advanced page, but eventually I figured out that I could see the URL GCal was requesting. Once I did that, I think I entered what was needed in the Control page (um… not the IFRAME tag, but the [numbers]@group only). After that, everything just seemed to work. Except, as I say the calendar tab, which truncates the URL.

[quote=“BigDummy, post:5, topic:188956”]I have a Vera Edge which I bought a couple of weeks ago from amazon. I’ve had problems using Microsoft Edge with it, so I’ve switched back and forth between it and Chrome. I think mostly the issues with the browser lay in the javascript UA detection rather than in any actual problems, but I didn’t really care to figure it out because, well, Chrome.

When I was trying to get GCal3 running, I had a hell of a time because apparently I can’t follow instructions. Instead of using the entire iframe tag, I tried multiple times with different values… the URL, the URL without the s in https, many different types of accounts at the google developers site. I’m pretty sure I didn’t enter the values using the advanced page, but eventually I figured out that I could see the URL GCal was requesting. Once I did that, I think I entered what was needed in the Control page (um… not the IFRAME tag, but the [numbers]@group only). After that, everything just seemed to work. Except, as I say the calendar tab, which truncates the URL.[/quote]

I understand - hopefully all is well now ?

The reason I set it up to take the whole iframe tag was that it’s a simple copy / paste. There are different formats of url from google depending on whether it’s a personal or group calendar etc - and I wanted to remove the need (and the instructions necessary) for people to have to extract the right parts. No good deed goes unpunished :cry:

[quote=“Stuart, post:6, topic:188956”][quote=“BigDummy, post:5, topic:188956”]I have a Vera Edge which I bought a couple of weeks ago from amazon. I’ve had problems using Microsoft Edge with it, so I’ve switched back and forth between it and Chrome. I think mostly the issues with the browser lay in the javascript UA detection rather than in any actual problems, but I didn’t really care to figure it out because, well, Chrome.

When I was trying to get GCal3 running, I had a hell of a time because apparently I can’t follow instructions. Instead of using the entire iframe tag, I tried multiple times with different values… the URL, the URL without the s in https, many different types of accounts at the google developers site. I’m pretty sure I didn’t enter the values using the advanced page, but eventually I figured out that I could see the URL GCal was requesting. Once I did that, I think I entered what was needed in the Control page (um… not the IFRAME tag, but the [numbers]@group only). After that, everything just seemed to work. Except, as I say the calendar tab, which truncates the URL.[/quote]

I understand - hopefully all is well now ?

The reason I set it up to take the whole iframe tag was that it’s a simple copy / paste. There are different formats of url from google depending on whether it’s a personal or group calendar etc - and I wanted to remove the need (and the instructions necessary) for people to have to extract the right parts. No good deed goes unpunished :'([/quote]

Indeed. :slight_smile:

Yes. Everything works fine, except as I say, the URL prepend for the calendar tab.

[quote=“BigDummy, post:7, topic:188956”]Indeed. :slight_smile:

Yes. Everything works fine, except as I say, the URL prepend for the calendar tab.[/quote]

I’d like to eliminate the possibility of a residual bug. Could you enter the correct link information and see if that fixes everything ?

Hi - I am about to give up after 4 installations, and could use some help form the experts on Gcal…

I cannot see what I am doing wrong, but think this plugin would be really helpful. I completed the steps, and I also get a 404 error if I click on the calendar tab.

I place my Calendar ID, and it says CalenderID SET, but that is as far as I get. I am also not clear on how to create an event. EVENT matches keyword, so I have the word TEST in the google calendar, but where do I enter that keyword on the event? I do not understand.

Is is possible I am looking at outdated documentation?

Thanks for any pointers

[quote=“MrAutomate, post:9, topic:188956”]Hi - I am about to give up after 4 installations, and could use some help form the experts on Gcal…

I cannot see what I am doing wrong, but think this plugin would be really helpful. I completed the steps, and I also get a 404 error if I click on the calendar tab.

I place my Calendar ID, and it says CalenderID SET, but that is as far as I get. I am also not clear on how to create an event. EVENT matches keyword, so I have the word TEST in the google calendar, but where do I enter that keyword on the event? I do not understand.

Is is possible I am looking at outdated documentation?

Thanks for any pointers[/quote]

The documentation (on the first post here) http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26692.0.html
is mostly up-to-date, certainly enough to get everything working.

Before worrying about the calendar tab - I’d make sure you are using the correct CalendarID (see the conversation above) and that you have set the calendar preferences (in google) correctly and that your credentials are working.

There is a test example in the documentation to help you get started. Installing and reinstalling will likely not help - the plugin is quite mature and seldom needs ‘extreme’ measures :slight_smile:

The most likely reason for a 404 on the calendar tab (given everything else is working) is simply that you are not logged into google with the current browser session. If everything else is working - then try this. Log into browser and open a tab into your google calendar (if the browser requires you to log in - do so). In another tab (in the same browser) , open vera and take a look at the calendar tab - if you still get a 404 error, it’s likely that the CalendarID is incorrect. If that happens - please provide details of what you input as the calendar id and we can figure out what’s wrong.

Awesome, Thanks! Got it! I was missing the Https:…

So, now, how do I create a trigger, so if I have a google entry called TRASH, how to I set a trigger to tell me it is trash. I use vera alerts, but now sure how to set an event to get triggered on TRASH calendar entry.

Thanks

[quote=“MrAutomate, post:11, topic:188956”]Awesome, Thanks! Got it! I was missing the Https:…

So, now, how do I create a trigger, so if I have a google entry called TRASH, how to I set a trigger to tell me it is trash. I use vera alerts, but now sure how to set an event to get triggered on TRASH calendar entry.

Thanks[/quote]

Take a look at the examples in the documentation. There are several ways: The simplest is likely to leave gc_Keyword blank and use “Event has specified name” as the trigger criteria. Be sure to set the event name upper case.

Thanks for the tip on the CASE. So, is it normal if I click CHECK, that the NEXT EVENT = “The CalendarID is set” ?

I have TRASH set to 8:00 PM, I would imagine next event should read TRASH, not “The CalendarID is set”

I have tried several start times, and the trigger never occurs…?

*** EDIT ***

Hmmm…In vera APPS, Do I need to create a device ID for each event, and hard code the event in the variables tab in Vera ? Are there any UI7 screen shot examples that will show how to tie it all together ?

I am not a developer, but if I has a working example, I would get it. I have attached a screenshot of my variables, and all I want is a trigger to occur when Google TRASH event takes place, and that example, along with understanding if I need a child device installed for each calendar event I want, will get me on the right path.

Appriciate anyones pointers!

Thanks

Thanks

[quote=“MrAutomate, post:13, topic:188956”]Thanks for the tip on the CASE. So, is it normal if I click CHECK, that the NEXT EVENT = “The CalendarID is set” ?

I have TRASH set to 8:00 PM, I would imagine next event should read TRASH, not “The CalendarID is set”

I have tried several start times, and the trigger never occurs…?

*** EDIT ***

Hmmm…In vera APPS, Do I need to create a device ID for each event, and hard code the event in the variables tab in Vera ? Are there any UI7 screen shot examples that will show how to tie it all together ?

I am not a developer, but if I has a working example, I would get it. I have attached a screenshot of my variables, and all I want is a trigger to occur when Google TRASH event takes place, and that example, along with understanding if I need a child device installed for each calendar event I want, will get me on the right path.

Appriciate anyones pointers!

Thanks

Thanks[/quote]

If you have an event in your calendar within the next 24 hrs - check should show you that event. If you see “The CalendarID is set” then there is something wrong. If there are no events in the next 24 hrs then the device should show " No events found today". Before you go any further lets figure out what and where you are in terms of installation.

Did you install from the marketplace ? Did you follow the credentials set-up instructions ? Did you test using the test example in the documentation ? If all of the above are “yes” then we need to get a log file with gc_debug set to 3.

The plugin is pretty near bullet-proof but does rely on following the instructions at first - not the least of which is the google credentials and the google calendar being set up correctly.

Just in case - what version of vera and GCal3 are you using ?

Same issues here using latest Vera UI7 and GCAL 1.3 from the store. Unable to get connection to calendar. Followed all directions. Chrome Browser.

If I use the private ical link from Google it’s fine (the 2nd tab shows a blank calendar, but the device reads the next event) - using the embed link doesn’t work at all.