garage door - gd00z-4 + genie intellicode

Hi. I have a Vera3 with UI7. I have a Genie Intellicode garage door opener and have a Linear GD00Z-4

Being digital, I had to use the hack where you open the garage door opener, solder the cables from the GD00Z-4 to the leads on the back of the power button. Everything paired perfectly.

When I use the app to open/close the garage door - it works fine the first time, but after that it will not work again until I reset the battery in the remote. I switched batteries with a new one to eliminate that issue. Even after I use it the first time - whether by phone or by button - the remote button won’t even work again until I reset the battery - then it again works once and not again until I reseed the battery.

Not sure what to try, sorry if this is too vague… hard to explain. Basically everything works fine once, but then doesn’t work again until I reseed the remote battery. Clueless on this one. Did I solder something wrong? Is the remote bad?

Tried this with a different opener and got the same result. I think the issue is with the GD00z… maybe I should just try a generic relay instead and sell this thing…

Don’t know the specifics, but I think It’s how the app is seeing it vs how ui7 sees it. What I did after pairing device is created a manual scene in ui7 to open and close it and then use the scene in the app to work it vs using the device. I know it’s a workaround, but for now it works. Just to be sure, this is the one you have right?

GoControl/Linear GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage Door Opener Remote Controller, Small, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M75TEIU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_CSMowbCFCF0MT

Yes, that’s what I have. However, I think it’s something either with how I wired it or with my model of garage door opener itself. Even if I open it once via MiCasaVerde - I can’t even open it using the button (on the remote I just rigged to the linear device) until I pull the battery & put it back in again. It’s very odd.

From what you describing it sounds like the relay is pushing and holding the button. Which causes it to work once but no control will work after that until it’s manually reset. I don’t have a GD00z but the relay should close the circuit (simulate the button press) then open the circuit back up after a few seconds. Sounds like for what ever reason the relay is not opening the circuit back up after a few seconds.

Does the remote have a light on it when the button is pressed?

Wiring problem may be it, but seeing how it works once I don’t think you have it wired wrong.

Can you check for resistance across the relay wires?

Wow, that sounds exactly like what it is doing. I believe the light does light up when I push the remote button, but I’ll have to check tonight.

I am completely unsure how I’d go about fixing this, but that makes sense. It opens the relay, then never closes it. So it’s possible I just have a defective Linear device?

[quote=“fleetmack, post:6, topic:189039”]Wow, that sounds exactly like what it is doing. I believe the light does light up when I push the remote button, but I’ll have to check tonight.

It opens the relay, then never closes it. So it’s possible I just have a defective Linear device?[/quote]

It’s actually closing or completing the circuit and then not reopening it or releasing the button. Backwards from what you wrote.

I don’t think I would jump to the conclusion just yet that it’s the Linear device. The thing that gets me is this.
Your removing the batteries from the remote so your only resetting the remote. So if the Linear device was say stuck closed it should go right back to the same problem when the batteries are installed back into the remote as nothing on the linear side was changed or reset. It doesn’t seem to be that way from your description. More info and pictures on how its wired to the remote might be more helpful. Testing the lights when pressed and if it stays on might be good.

For me more testing needs to be done before parts are deemed defective.

You are right again… when I remove the battery and re-seed it, that only makes the remote control work, it doesn’t reset the Linear controller. That will not work again until I unplug it and plug it back in.

I will take some pictures tonight and post what I have done… perhaps I’ll take a quick video

[quote=“fleetmack, post:8, topic:189039”]You are right again… when I remove the battery and re-seed it, that only makes the remote control work, it doesn’t reset the Linear controller. That will not work again until I unplug it and plug it back in.

I will take some pictures tonight and post what I have done… perhaps I’ll take a quick video[/quote]

Well I better quit while I’m ahead my wife say’s I’m never RIGHT and to quit asking!

The bold part of your statement was never mentioned in your first post but makes more sense now and A YouTube Video would defiantly be nice.

Another test I would be curious of the results would be to not pull the batteries from the remote only reset (pull power and replug) the Linear controller and see if the remote will work after that.

So last night was confusing, I got all excited that someone could help me so I left work a bit early and made a video before I even went into my house! Weird thing is… it started working! Almost…

-I pulled the battery from the remote
-I powered down the Linear device
-I opened/closed the garage door with the remote a few times
-I poorly wired the remote back up to the Linear device
-I plugged in the remote
-I plugged in the linear device
-I cycled the garage door by pushing the button on the remote a few times (opened & closed the door)
-I then did my “one time” garage door open by way of Vera controller
-I then attempted it with my garage door opener, which no longer worked
-I re-seeded the battery & cycled the door
-I attempted Vera, and aside from a slight bug (I don’t think I gave the sensor time to reset), it started working

I have all this on tape. I have changed nothing, this is literally how I’ve tried it every time. So I got cocky. I put it all back together and did some wire nuts on my “poor connection”, put it together, mounted it - and low and behold, it doesn’t work again, went right back to doing what it was doing before I made the video.

Long story short: in the video, the symptoms were exactly as they had been until I re-seeded my battery. Once I re-seeded my battery everything seemed to fully work, no idea why. But after the video was over, it stopped working again.

I’ll try to make a video tonight of it failing, but here’s the video for your entertainment: