Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Place holder for a list of FAQs about this plugin

[hr]

Q: How do I find out what the latest version of the plugin is?
A: Go to MiOS Apps , login and then click on the same URL again and you should see versions

[hr]

Q: How to get logs
A: Several methods
a) classic way

1. turn on DEBUG 2) open http://Your.Vera.IP.Address/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP 3) let it run for a while so the problem happens 4) in your browser save the file on your disk 5) open with an editor (notepad or whatever ) and search for your iCloud email , change email/pwd so I do not see it , save the file 6) send it to me using PM on this forum

b) using infoviewer

1. open InfoViewer, put the pattern to “IPhoneLocator”
  2. open Infoviewer page then View Logs
  3. same as above a.4 a.5 a.6

c) using WinSCP / Windows

1. use WinSCP
  2. chose SCP as file protocol
  3. Hostname = your vera ip address , username=root , Password= your vera password
  4. once logged in , go to folder /var/log/cmh/
  5. select file LuaUPnP.log , drag and drop it on your desktop
  6. same as a.5, a.6

[hr]

Q: How does auto polling mode really works
A: this is explained herebelow
[table]
[tr]
[td]Mode[/td]
[td]Distance[/td]
[td]Speed[/td]
[td]Eta[/td]
[td]Polling[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Direct[/td]
[td]calculated from gps coordinate from the last and previous positions[/td]
[td]calculated from ratio distance/polling. if speed is less than MIN_SPEED it is considered null.[/td]
[td]calculated from distance/speed. if speed is null, it assumes a default speed (NOMOVE_SPEED) to make sure polling does not get too infrequent[/td]
[td]With polling map: it uses the polling map, based on device distance.
Without polling map, it takes the ETA, remove from it a default LATENCY parameter to compensate for lateness of iCloud compared to reality, divide the eta by the PollingDivider set by the user. Then the result is normalized to allways be between a MIN_PERIOD and MAX_PERIOD. [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Driving, Bicycling, Walking[/td]
[td]Received from Google Matrix API[/td]
[td]same as above.[/td]
[td]ETA is not calculated, it is simply received from the google matrix API and therefore is subject to google calculation and estimation what your speed is based on the mode you selected.[/td]
[td]same as above.[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

local MIN_PERIOD = 10        -- poll cannot be less than this in sec
local MAX_PERIOD = 3600   -- poll cannot be more than this in sec
local ETA_LATENCY = 30      -- ETA Latency, removes this from ETA to compensate for iCloud latency
local MIN_SPEED = 5/3600   -- 5km/h (in km/s)
local NOMOVE_SPEED = 60/3600  - in km/s, when speed is null or <Min

[hr]

Q: Is it supported on UI7
A: I cannot really garantee this as I personally have no way to test it on UI7. I am not ready (yet) to upgrade in my home and I have only one unit. I did however publish a few fixes starting from version v1.83 up to version v1.91 which should fix issues like : users of UI6 and UI7 have in the Settings tab ( listbox showing “undefined” instead of device names ), SAVE button does not appear

[hr]

Q: How do I create a new instance of the plugin on UI7
A: it seems there is no Create Another button or it must be hard to find as many people have the question. Check a potential answer here => http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16907.msg206741.html#msg206741 it “should” work

[hr]

Please help to create this list but providing any FAQs that you think will be of use to others and they will be added either by @amg0 or I to this first post.

This may be common iDevice knowledge . . .

Possibly relating to different iPhone versions in the USA, (GSM vs. CDMA with LTE data layers) I learned something today.

On a Verizon Wireless iPhone 5 (CDMA with 4G LTE):

I was running an unmuted iPhone Locator plugin, static polling every 180 seconds. For 30 minutes, the plugin reported the device as stationary at one location approximately 20 miles away. Suddenly the phone (with my wife attached ;)) walked in the front door. She was talking on the phone, & had been for the last 20-30 minutes.

I unscientifically deduced that while one is talking on the phone, the apple server that our plugin queries is not able to reach the phone.

Logically, if I wanted to test/verify further, I could initiate a telephone call with the iPhone, then start hitting the Find My iPhone webpage from a browser, and see what happens.

I’m not sure if this knowledge has any value for our group, (or where I should have posted this, OR even if I should have bothered) But to me knowledge, even semi-useless knowledge, has value to be chronicled for the future.

Technically, this has nothing to do with a FAQ about the iPhoneLocator plugin

@parkerc, feel free to move this if you feel the need.

Chris

[quote=“ChrisTheC, post:2, topic:178360”]On a Verizon Wireless iPhone 5 (CDMA with 4G LTE):

I unscientifically deduced that while one is talking on the phone, the apple server that our plugin queries is not able to reach the phone.

Chris[/quote]

Yes Chris you are correct your phone is not communicating with Apples servers while you are talking on the network…At least on the Verizon network. On AT&T’s network it is available while you are talking on the phone though. next time if you want to test this try to surf the web with no wifi while you are talking on the phone. It will not work unless they have recently made good on what they said they were going to do and make talking and data work at the same time.

Jeff

Is this the CDMA data & talk limitation that I thought I’d heard a rumor Verizon was supposed to have fixed sometime last year (upgraded their network to support)?

I’m an AT&T user, so genuinely don’t know.

Is this the CDMA data & talk limitation that I thought I'd heard a rumor Verizon was supposed to have fixed sometime last year (upgraded their network to support)?

I’m an AT&T user, so genuinely don’t know.

The (factually challenged) history remembered by my brain goes something like this:

Prior to 4G networks, the 3G Verizon (CDMA) devices were not able to simultaneously access both data & voice communications. I observed this with the Android phones (original Motorola Droid, and the LG Ally) that I owned.

During this time, AT&T was reminding potential customers through it’s advertising that if you are on the AT&T network (GSM & maybe TDMA also, I can’t remember) you can surf the web, check email, etc. while also talking on the phone. Good selling point.

When Verizon first offered 4G LTE to it’s customers, they advertised that this system will also allow simultaneous voice & data usage on their CDMA phone selections.

I verified this by purchasing the Samsung Droid Charge, & later the Samsung Galaxy S4. These phones allow concurrent voice & data operation. Cool

However, when I purchased the Verizon iPhone 5 for my wife, and the 5c for one of my daughters, I noticed that voice calls & data were not possible again. Kind of a step backward. I read (and here’s where the factually challenged really comes in) that the problem is basically still with Verizon’s CDMA network. The Android phone manufacturers overcame the CDMA limitations by including a second antenna in their phones. What that has to do with it, I have no idea, but I read it on the internet, so it must be true. ::slight_smile:

Apple could not or would not make that design change to their Verizon branded phones.

I’ve read many comments that suggest that Verizon’s cellular network protocol is inferior in some ways to the GSM network, but it is not my concern too much. My company switched from AT&T to Verizon some years ago, so I am tied to Verizon. And, I happen to both live & work in areas where the Verizon coverage is excellent.

Back to lurking

Chris

Great looking app! Would really like to get stuck into this if someone would clarify:
The Read ME first post for release 1.70 say iCloud pwd encryption is coming in a later release. 1.71 looks to be the app store release - does this now include pwd encryption? I can see (thanks “search”!) there’s history here.

Thanks!

[quote=“dinkeldorf, post:6, topic:178360”]Great looking app! Would really like to get stuck into this if someone would clarify:
The Read ME first post for release 1.70 say iCloud pwd encryption is coming in a later release. 1.71 looks to be the app store release - does this now include pwd encryption? I can see (thanks “search”!) there’s history here.

Thanks![/quote]

I did not find a way to secure this reliably but a) password are not shown in clear text in the SETTINGS tab and b) in the advanced tab neither, they are shown as m64 encoded strings. So not strong from a security standpoint, but lets call it ‘obfuscated’ for novice eyes.

However, these pwd are not accessible to hackers unless they compromise your vera credentials and access you vera box as a whole.

I got my Vera last night so forgive me for asking stupid questions that you veterans all know the answer for. I got my phone up and running and wonder if there is a way to hook up another iCloud account.

To monitor a new/different iCloud account devices, you need to create a new instance of the plugin and configure it with the parameters of that new iCloud account ( Main page / Apps /My Apps/ iPhone Locator/ Create another button )

Missed to follow up.

I’ve done that and when I try to hook up another device everything seem fine, and when using proper iCloud username and password all devices connected to that account shows up. However, I only get “No Location information for that device”. All the other settings are pretty much default, polling every 60s.

But when logging in directly to the iCloud account, it seems like the missus did NOT activate “Find my iPhone” as earlier excepted.

To monitor a new/different iCloud account devices, you need to create a new instance of the plugin and configure it with the parameters of that new iCloud account ( Main page / Apps /My Apps/ iPhone Locator/ Create another button )[/quote]

hi Amg0, this is my first post. I tried this path but don’t see a create another button in UI7. I assume a current limitation in UI7 then?
Sensational app. Still working out the dynamic polling as I too get a quote exceeded.

To monitor a new/different iCloud account devices, you need to create a new instance of the plugin and configure it with the parameters of that new iCloud account ( Main page / Apps /My Apps/ iPhone Locator/ Create another button )[/quote]

hi Amg0, this is my first post. I tried this path but don’t see a create another button in UI7. I assume a current limitation in UI7 then?
Sensational app. Still working out the dynamic polling as I too get a quote exceeded.[/quote]

I unfortunately cannot test UI7, I have only one veralite box and run my house on it so I have not yet taken the risk to upgrade to UI7. I have read on the General Forum about UI7 several complaint about not being able to create several instances of device for a given plugin so I suspect there indeed some kind of limitation in UI7 for this, for now. I cannot imagine they do not fix that though.

For UI7 users, I think I have fixed one issue about a ‘undefined’ value showing up when you try to add devices from the iCloud device list to the plugin tracked device list in the Settings tab of the plugin.
as explained I cannot test on UI7 but that should be one less issue with it.
It is v 1.83 on the store ( do not take 1.82, it does not install properly )

Hello,

When I try to add my iphone in the settings menu, i found Home,iCloud,Polling,Donate on menu bar. Is it normal? Where is the Save Button?(see the attachement) I use Crome with UI7.

THanks For Your Help

[quote=“ozgur@omg.com.tr, post:14, topic:178360”]Hello,

When I try to add my iphone in the settings menu, i found Home,iCloud,Polling,Donate on menu bar. Is it normal? Where is the Save Button?(see the attachement) I use Crome with UI7.

THanks For Your Help[/quote]

humm another UI7 issue, since I do not have UI7 I cannot really test yet and it clearly does not look good. on UI5 it is like this ( attached file ) ( see on the right hand side ). in the mean time everything can be controlled directly into the variable of the pluging by the advanced tab ( if there is a advanced tab in UI7 ? )

I will try to move it elsewhere so that it shows

How do create an instance more? I don’t have the Create another button, as i other app device?
I won?t save changes in the settings page. I have to make changes to settings on the advanced page.

I use a Edge and UI7

• Claus

[quote=“clisse, post:16, topic:178360”]How do create an instance more? I don’t have the Create another button, as i other app device?
I won?t save changes in the settings page. I have to make changes to settings on the advanced page.

I use a Edge and UI7

• Claus[/quote]

you may check the message & the answer just here : [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16907.msg206741.html#msg206741]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16907.msg206741.html#msg206741[/url] it “should” work

Thank you. Haven?t seen that before.

Unfortunately it does not work. All variables is missing.

• Claus

[quote=“clisse, post:18, topic:178360”]Thank you. Haven?t seen that before.

Unfortunately it does not work. All variables is missing.