Foscam, Vera, cloud storage and Video

Has anyone found a method to get video to work with Foscams and Vera that will backup to Dropbox or another similar service?

Backing up to local Vera doesn’t work for a number of reasons. I would like to utilize Dropbox and notifications so I know when video has been added and alert me of motion detection.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plugin Webcam Dropbox uploader can upload snapshots only but not video

Blue Iris will do absolutely anything you want… if you have a PC on.

Storage, remote storage, cameras as motion for vera, AUDIO as motion (think baby monitor, without actively listening) and whatever else you could possibly think of. Lock down the foscams bc there are entirely too many vulnerabilities and let Blue Iris, and vera handle remote viewing, most apps aren’t too bad when only using on the LAN.

Thanks. I’m active in that thread and use it but really rather have he video.

[quote=“new2me07”]Blue Iris will do absolutely anything you want… if you have a PC on.

Storage, remote storage, cameras as motion for vera, AUDIO as motion (think baby monitor, without actively listening) and whatever else you could possibly think of. Lock down the foscams bc there are entirely too many vulnerabilities and let Blue Iris, and vera handle remote viewing, most apps aren’t too bad when only using on the LAN.[/quote]

If I remember correctly blue iris has a cost to it right?

wholesale cost is $20 for a license (5 for 100) so the licenses online you find for $25-50 are probably genuine even with varying pricing.

Depending on settings you can monitor 5-15 HD cameras using pretty high framerate and cpu overhead (video processing for vera triggers). It makes my system really. Automatic camera call up on the TV for the driveway and porch, prowl messages if the kids start crying and doors are closed, and a decent iOS app and pc interface.

Volume discounts are awesome?

[quote=“new2me07”]wholesale cost is $20 for a license (5 for 100) so the licenses online you find for $25-50 are probably genuine even with varying pricing.

Depending on settings you can monitor 5-15 HD cameras using pretty high framerate and cpu overhead (video processing for vera triggers). It makes my system really. Automatic camera call up on the TV for the driveway and porch, prowl messages if the kids start crying and doors are closed, and a decent iOS app and pc interface.[/quote]

I haven’t seen the $20 only $59

If you buy direct from the Blue Iris web site, the cost is $59.95. There are several eBay “resellers” who sell it for $48. Never seen any $20 copies being sold.

Ultimately the cost of the Blue Iris software is just small component of what it will cost you to set up a Blue Iris based monitoring system. You need to run Blue Iris on a fairly “robust” PC which of course will need to be running 24/7. There are several good discussions on the topic of PC hardware selection to be found at https://www.ipcamtalk.com . The total setup cost is well worth it - the system will do everything you described and more. Vera, on the other hand, was simply not designed (and is way to underpowered) for doing these tasks.

Ok so with that said does blue iris have any integration with Pleg?

Using the blue iris plug in, you can create motion detector devices using the camera, as vera know this is a real motion detector like any else and can be used for any purpose including PLEG.

Theres are numerous other way to “make stuff happen” but its all you really need.

In testing the demo thanks. I don’t see a way to link the files to my dropbox folder on the computer. Am I missing something?

I did set the location to the box sync folder but when I recorded manually it didn’t save a video in that directory.

[quote=“Bboy486, post:12, topic:189270”]In testing the demo thanks. I don’t see a way to link the files to my dropbox folder on the computer. Am I missing something?

I did set the location to the box sync folder but when I recorded manually it didn’t save a video in that directory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

BlueIris can save to any folder you want on the computer. If it isn’t saveing to the right folder you probley don’t have the settings right.

Why do you want Blueiris to record everything to Dropbox tho?

I want to move the storage off my local computer and into a cloud app. I guess I can use tonido too.

I was also trying to see if I can somehow bypass the monthly subscription requirement for ring door bell Amazon.com

[quote=“Bboy486, post:14, topic:189270”]I want to move the storage off my local computer and into a cloud app. I guess I can use tonido too.

I was also trying to see if I can somehow bypass the monthly subscription requirement for ring door bell Amazon.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

For me cloud storage is to slow, bad quality and limited space… Ohh and high cost. I only have 5MB a sec upload even thos I have 60 download at home. I use Blueiris and PLEX and it’s hard enough to stream high quality going outbound from my house let alone if I was also sending video out the cloud at the same time.

You can set the Blue Iris program to save the recorded video in the local Dropbox file on your pc, but this will be real time backup and use a lot of bandwidth. Also the Android app for foscam won’t be able to view alerts placed in this folder. It is a “cheap” way to insure that if your computer is stolen, you may still have the Dropbox video of the theft. Good luck.