Forum Change?

Did I do something or did the forum categories get reorganized for some other reason?

For the record, this forum should be upgraded to SMF version 2.0.5. The currently installed version 2.0.3 is old and buggy.

It’s different for me. Not sure why the re-ordered things.
The “Getting Started & Initial Setup” board is now way down in the list!

Too funny. Looks like they re-styled it somewhat… and in the process broke the original ordering.

They also changed with how many of the Child boards are directly accessible from the top-level (like those of “Programming”).

The “Getting Started”, and “Upgrading”, Child boards also moved, as you’ve indicated. They were near the top to minimize the number of miss-posts to “General

Hopefully they’ll realize, and correct these.

The Child boards were originally ordered [roughly] by popularity… at least that’s how they were setup when I put them in a few yrs back. I don’t have the perms anymore to fix what they’ve done.

I guess no one cares ???
The forum is still ridiculously slow at times.

i liked the former ordering… you did a good job @guessed. dont know why its been changed. it is totally counter-intuitive now.
still not upgraded to 2.0.5 and sometimes its vexatiously slow. one time it’s displayed in 0.2 secs and other times it can take up to 20 secs even.
it’s most definatly not my 100mbit internet-connection…

I preferred the old ordering! And I am also experiencing these very slow loading times, but not always.

Now posts are disappearing too??
I am getting:An Error Has Occurred! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
sigh

Gremlins have invaded the system and are remodeling the place. :slight_smile:

of all people… wasn’t me :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“PurdueGuy, post:7, topic:176800”]Now posts are disappearing too??
I am getting:An Error Has Occurred! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
sigh[/quote]If it was about Insteon/Alsteon, then the user self-deleted their post.

[quote=“guessed, post:10, topic:176800”][quote=“PurdueGuy, post:7, topic:176800”]Now posts are disappearing too??
sigh[/quote]If it was about Insteon/Alsteon, then the user self-deleted their post.[/quote]
Can the originator of a topic delete the entire topic by deleting the first post?

yup… sadly one can do.

[quote=“PurdueGuy, post:11, topic:176800”]Can the originator of a topic delete the entire topic by deleting the first post?[/quote]I was just looking at the moderation logs, to see what might have “caused” the error you saw. At that time, there was one regular user who deleted their post, which I assume was the original (and only) post… I no longer have access to the [forum] trashcan to see what it’s content was.

[quote=“guessed, post:13, topic:176800”][quote=“PurdueGuy, post:11, topic:176800”]Can the originator of a topic delete the entire topic by deleting the first post?[/quote]I was just looking at the moderation logs, to see what might have “caused” the error you saw. At that time, there was one regular user who deleted their post, which I assume was the original (and only) post… I no longer have access to the [forum] trashcan to see what it’s content was.[/quote]Sadly, it was a topic (#16708) with a number of back and forth messages, with helping getting Altsteon up and running, which might have proved helpful to other people down the road. Bummer.

[quote=“PurdueGuy, post:14, topic:176800”]Sadly, it was a topic (#16708) with a number of back and forth messages, with helping getting Altsteon up and running, which might have proved helpful to other people down the road. Bummer.[/quote]Probably not going to help, given they haven’t repaired their last “damage” to the forum (the subject of this thread), but the MCV Admins (Florin et-al) can restore stuff from the [forum] Trash can…

… a trashcan I’m all too familiar with after I accidentally deleted a long/critical thread … when we didn’t have the safety net (ouch)

would at least expect they use the backup tool featured here Downloads
also would be very nice to update SMF to 2.0.5 considering the admin password reset vuln, code injection vulns and directory traversal and not to mention the not yet there fix for having a empty picture in attachements which keeps on counting every pageview until it overflows and can be code-injected. if someone likes to report this :stuck_out_tongue:

@Da_JoJo - Now that you have “spilled the beans”, it looks like there will be spam for breakfast on Monday.

ah well… i like my bacon n egg on toast better :smiley:
it should be updated a long while ago allready… if some scriptkiddo wanted to do some harm , it had about 3/4 of the year to do so.

I prefer green eggs with my ham. :slight_smile:

Interesting. The forum has now returned to its previous sort order.

I think it is a much more logical ordering.