[FIXED] Google TTS engine is no more working

There was a software update for Sonos today and now the “Say” function does not work anymore. I get an error on the Sonos that says : Unable to play “Say.***.mp3”- file is encoded incorrectly". I have been sending the same command string and it has worked flawlessly:

luup.call_action(LS_SID, “Say”, {Text=" ", Language=“en”, GroupZones=“ALL”,Volume=75, SameVolumeForAll=“true”},SONOS).

I even sent a txt string from the Sonos Plugin Device tab “TTS” and I get the same error. Is there a cure for what ails my Sonos?

It is not working for me too this morning.
As it was working well the previous days, it has no link to a Sonos update even if an update was released by Sonos few days ago.
I hope Google has not closed its TTS service !!!

Ditto here… I tried to do a simple TTS say with no speakee… last night. How do we know if Google closed their TTS service and if so what is the alternate? Mike

[quote=“lolodomo, post:2, topic:188206”]It is not working for me too this morning.
As it was working well the previous days, it has no link to a Sonos update even if an update was released by Sonos few days ago.
I hope Google has not closed its TTS service !!![/quote]

Ditto. Glad I saw this thread before I spent hours debugging: :slight_smile:

Same here, I’m going to try to install osx in a virtual machine and use the osx tts server. I have a windows maching running all the time anyway for blue iris and plex anyway. I’ll report back if I have any success.

Its interesting as mine has stopped working as well on the Play 1’s after update. I have also noticed that all the tts to mp3 sites are not working, could this be a Google issue? In The Sonos app i can see that it groups the zones ok and attempts to play with a “the track i not encoded correctly”

We must test the Google URL first.

I did the update via the iOS app days ago and TTS worked. I don’t think it’s related to the update but just a coincidence.

Anyone knows how to get a local OSX TTS server up and running?

I’ll test tomorrow on a Playbar. If it’s the Play:1 update then it should play fine. If it doesn’t play we’ll know it’s another issue.

I tried this URL as an example: http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=fr&q=Test

And the result is that we have now to enter a Captcha code !!!
So the service is not closed but is protected against robot !!!

I just renamed the topic !
That’s really a big problem !

Oook, so is there a recovery schema to Google’s change and/or is there an alternate solution? I take it we fall into the “Automated service” category? Mike

[quote=“lolodomo, post:12, topic:188206”]I just renamed the topic !
That’s really a big problem ![/quote]

Same darn problem!!!

For me it looks like entering the captcha is unblocking the TTS for my IP for multiple searches. Is that not the same for others?

Seems to have only worked on my computer!!!

http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V2/Http.svc/Speak?appId=SIGNUP_TO_GET_FREE&text=We%20Should%20Ditch%20Google%20TTS&language=en

Johnny

Seems like ivona is launching some kind of online TTS service maybe this can be an alternative?
I bet it will come with a prize tag though…

http://www.ivona.com/

[quote=“watek2k, post:17, topic:188206”]Seems to have only worked on my computer!!!

http://api.microsofttranslator.com/V2/Http.svc/Speak?appId=SIGNUP_TO_GET_FREE&text=We%20Should%20Ditch%20Google%20TTS&language=en

Johnny[/quote]

Microsoft Translator could be a free alternative to investigate.

I read about Microsoft Translator API this afternoon and I am now convinced that adding this TTS engine is doable.
For the user, that would be more difficult to setup because an account has to be created on a particular platform and a new application has to be declared by the user to get the identifiers that will be required by the plugin.
For the plugin itself, the new thing is that a session token has to be obtained and renewed when necessary.

So I will add this new engine to the plugin. Should be available in few days.

Any idea if the Microsoft speech is as good as Google speech ?

Note that the account is free if you translate less than 20 000 characters per month. That’s largely enough for few TTS messages per day.