Fibaro switch stuck with LED load

Hello guys

I have read on the forum that it is not the first time this happens.
I have a 200 Watt leds connected to 1 double switch but I am suffering from stucking!
From the manual switch or from vera the the leds would not turn off/on but if i hit the fibaro it will work like for couple of times and the problem happens again

I have used an external relay with 5 Ampere capacity to control the LEDs. For 2 days i think everything is fine. Do you think this is solved for ever using this relay?

It sounds as though the Fibaro’s relay contact s getting welded by switching a highly-reactive current. This can often be fixed by adding a contact arc-suppressor (aka Snubber) across the load to prevent the high-voltage spike during switch-off.

Your external relay may be fine if it is rated for reactive loads. Otherwise it may also get welded unless you fit a Snubber across the load.

You can probably find a contact arc-suppressor/Snubber in your local electronics store. Look for one with a 100nF capacitor and a 47 or 100 Ohm resistor. It must be rated for use on your supply voltage. Proper ones have UL markings.

Since it is hard to find such a device where i live :frowning: i was trying to find something makes me SAFE
I found this in the market

What do you think?
Need your exp

Thanx

This relay appears to be suitable only for resistive loads. There is no rating in the data sheet for inductive loads. With a 12 amp rating, the bigger contacts are perhaps less likely to weld but it could still happen.

There are relays that are designed to switch inductive loads - like motors. They use different contact metals and stronger springs. Unfortunately a relay coil is also an inductive load so, if you use a big relay, you may still need to fit a contact arc-suppressor…

Thank you

I will try to buy one online

Thanx alot :smiley:

Home you dont mind me saying but 200W of Led seems like quit a lot. :slight_smile:
I have had quite a bit of trouble with them due to a high inrush current, in particular the low voltage versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had quite a bit of trouble with them due to a high inrush current, in particular the low voltage versions.

Yes that is the problem with the type of converter that uses a switching circuit in place of a large transformer. When connected, they draw a large current to charge-up the reservoir capacitor. This can also cause a relay contact to weld. They should have internal current limiting to protect their own rectifier and avoid damage to the supply-side switch!

Did you need to use an external surge limiter to prevent damage to your switch?

[quote=“Yarryman”]Home you dont mind me saying but 200W of Led seems like quit a lot. :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yes. This is why a 65w equivalent led bulb that draws steady state 12-14w cannot be considered a 12-14w load on a switch or dimmer. The ripple current in the bulb front end is higher than a 12-14W average would suggest. So you end up only being able to drive 8 of these bulbs with a 600W dimmer, not the 40+ bulbs a simple average wattage would suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i have the same problem but this time the relay is already welded and wouldnt unweld…is there a way i can open the switch and change this relay? or another way that i can fix this?

...is there a way i can open the switch and change this relay?

Most things are possible if you try hard enough. You may have a problem sourcing an identical relay, though. Unless you are experienced with repairing devices like this, I would not recommend this approach. Any modification could result in an electrical hazard or increased fire-risk.

I suggest you contact your supplier to see if you can return the module for a replacement under warranty.