Feature request: small indicator for dimmers

I’ve come to love the little guy, because it resembles the hardware switches I’ve got all over the house. I’d love to see it available for dimmers & fan controllers, too. It wouldn’t have to change the “ring” functionality; the user could still run his finger CW/CCW to change dim levels.

Done :slight_smile:

You’re the man!

You know, I never saw this implemented. Am I missing it? I’m currently running v1.99.

It’s in v2.0, which is going to the app store approval queue tomorrow

Outstanding! Looking forward to it, thanks for the update.

Come on, App Store… push out that update…

OK, I’m reviving this thread to support some messages between intveltr & I.

My current dimmer device properties are pretty much all the same, as attached… my target is to have NO indicator if the dimmer is off, and a green indicator if the dimmer is on. If I select “Vary color with light level,” I get a small thin black indicator when the dimmer is fully off. The indicator turns grey when I touch the control, and then it’s a dim green when the dimmer is at 100%. I don’t know why the indicator is dim, but it’s obviously a different color than on the binary switch.

My binary switches, by comparison, have no indicator when the switch is off, and a bright green indicator when the switch is on. This is how I’d like the dimmers to work. I suppose my preference would be that the dimmers, like the binary switches, would have selections for “Draw ring when on” and “Draw ring when off.” Those might interfere with how some of the other controls currently work, though.

I’d be willing to test out any other configuration to see how close I can get to what I want.

Here are my screens, on & off, using “Vary color…” selected on.

Did you set the Off color to transparent? The Vary Color setting isn’t really able to cope with transparency. What happens if you set it to black?

Actually, if I set the Off color to black, it behaves exactly the same way as when the Off color is set to transparent. Even the On color green is still dimmed. Maybe there’s a separate reason for that.

Strange, I can’t seem to reproduce this issue even though I recall having seen this effect. Can you post the steps to create the dimmer please?

I don’t know what to provide other than the device properties screen… essentially, just that. Add dimmer device, set Device Properties as listed. That’s how I created all of the dimmers this control screen.

I still can’t get this to work with v2.3.

I have all of my dimmer control properties set up as above. If I change the off color to red, the thin, small indicator below is always red, whether the device is on or off. If I set it to transparent, it’s always transparent.

This is what I tried:

Standard dimmer:

• Off color: black
  • On color: green
  • Small indicator
  • Vary with light level
  • Light level bar: off

Standard switch:

• Off color: black
  • On color: green
  • Small indicator

If I do this, the dimmer and switch look exactly the same when on (100%) or off. The colors are exactly the same unless the dim level is not 100%
Setting the dimmer’s off color to transparent doesn’t work: it’ll be black instead.

That’s what I’m seeing.

What I want to accomplish is NO indicator when off, and a green indicator when on… to mimic the LED on the physical switch. I’m able to do it with a switch, but not a dimmer. Do you know of any way to do that?

Ah. Not possible at the moment because the dimmer indicator doesn’t take transparency into account. I will add that in the next version, makes sense

Thanks!

I think the v2.4 update made this worse. Or, it’s at least still not working and just doing something strange.

I can appreciate the addition of the “Cancel” button on control screen modification. That helps. However, if I modify the screen with my lights–where the dimmers have the same old configuration with small indicators that don’t show up as green when on–and then click “Cancel,” all of the dimmers temporarily show up with grey small indicators (Grey Indicators.png). Then the grey indicators go away after a while, and the green “on” indicators still don’t work.

I haven’t modified any of my controls (Control Properties.png). If there’s a way to make my dimmers look like my switches, I’m all ears.