Fan power using a Jasco On / Off

I thought i read somewhere that is was a no no to use a Jasco on / off switch when dealing with a ceiling fan… Can this be done without risk of the switch burning out?

I am reading on one and the specs say “Can be used with ceiling fans for On/Off control (speed control not supported)” if this is true Ill go ahead and switch my fans over with just power, as they pretty much stay on high anyway…

EDIT: the more I am reading is that a dimmer cannot be used with a fan…

The GE/Jasco 45609 On/Off relay switch can be used for On/Off control of a ceiling fan.

Dimmers cannot be used with ceiling fans.

The only Z-Wave device that allows speed control of ceiling fans is the Leviton VRF01-1LZ.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:2, topic:182602”]The GE/Jasco 45609 On/Off relay switch can be used for On/Off control of a ceiling fan.

The only Z-Wave device that allows speed control of ceiling fans is the Leviton VRF01-1LZ.[/quote]

Thanks, that seems to be the same info I am coming up with…

So basically i have a few options…

1. Buy the On / Off switches and control fan speed manually
  2. Buy the overpriced Leviton VRF01-1LZ (which doesn’t control lights, needed on one fan)
  3. Buy On / Off switches, a leviton controller, and some fanlincs

[quote=“mchipser, post:3, topic:182602”][quote=“Z-Waver, post:2, topic:182602”]The GE/Jasco 45609 On/Off relay switch can be used for On/Off control of a ceiling fan.

The only Z-Wave device that allows speed control of ceiling fans is the Leviton VRF01-1LZ.[/quote]

Thanks, that seems to be the same info I am coming up with…

So basically i have a few options…

1. Buy the On / Off switches and control fan speed manually
  2. Buy the overpriced Leviton VRF01-1LZ (which doesn’t control lights, needed on one fan)
  3. Buy On / Off switches, a leviton controller, and some fanlincs[/quote]

YES, you are correct.

I have made sure I have 2 switches for each room, one to control the fan lights and one for the fans.

I have done it both ways with the speed switch or the on\off. I personally found the fan is on high all the time and I really just want to be able to make sure its off. So I would go with on\off only. I also like to go to bed with it on but not wake up freezing. So have it set to turn fan off after 11pm if room temp gets below a set temp. Some people do the same and just slow it down in steps. But again for me on and off is enough.

There is several ways to add a 2nd switch if your room only has one for both the fan and lights. You can even use aeotec smart switches installed up in the fan and 2 in one non z-wave switch down on the wall. I personally have just yanked out the single gang box and installed those blue double gang old construction box’s made for 2 switches.