Fan Dimming Opions?

I’m assuming I can use just about any on/off switch for a fan, right?

What about dimming a fan for speed adjustments? What are the options for that?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=44142

Also, check out this if your not talking about a a ceiling fan:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24043.0.html

No I’m talking about ceiling fans in bedrooms. I did know about the Leviton, but was looking for a cheaper alternative.

As far as controlling a ceiling fan with Z-Wave goes, there are only a couple options:

• Use the Leviton VRF01-1LZ which can control the speed of the fan as well as on/off.

• Use any Z-Wave on/off relay switch that is sufficiently rated for motor loads. You’ll only be able to control on/off via the Z-Wave switch, and will have to control speed from the pull chain, or a remote if the fan has one.

There are no other other Z-Wave dimmers currently known that are rated to control ceiling fan speed.

[quote=“JamesDVB, post:5, topic:180584”]As far as controlling a ceiling fan with Z-Wave goes, there are only a couple options:

• Use the Leviton VRF01-1LZ which can control the speed of the fan as well as on/off.

• Use any Z-Wave on/off relay switch that is sufficiently rated for motor loads. You’ll only be able to control on/off via the Z-Wave switch, and will have to control speed from the pull chain, or a remote if the fan has one.

There are no other other Z-Wave dimmers currently known that are rated to control ceiling fan speed.[/quote]

Thanks that’s was my fear.

I was hesitant to go the Insteon route, but I got an ISY, fanLinc and KeypadLinc just last week and so far it is very promising. I did a cost analysis and found that by time I did the 7 fans in my house, it was going to be cheaper to do the Insteon route just for the fans (Using garret’s ISY plugin to give me control from the Vera). My only problem right now is how it dims some A/C LEDs I have in my office, but I’m going to try the KeyPadLinc’s internal Dimmer instead of the FanLincs to see if that solves that problem. I also have 2 more here to install in other bedrooms which also have LED bulbs (but not A/C direct ones). I’m hoping they will dim just fine (as the model light bulbs I have in there work elsewhere in the house just fine with z-wave dimmers).

I just wanted to give a little update. I swapped the fan lights for the dimmer in the KeypadLinc and while it doesn’t really dim those LEDs very much, they don’t flicker like on the Fanlinc. So YMMV when it comes to the fanlinc light dimmer. I have yet to test it with normal LED bulbs though, so it coudl just be those bulbs. They gave me some issues on a normal dimmer as well.

Thanks, I looked into it a bit but seems like alot more problems (equipment) for me. I found the Leviton VRF01-1LZ for 99.00 plus tax so far and won’t require anything but a switch replacement.

I also have LED lights threw the whole house and on 30.00 GE switch’s from lowes.

I heard that GE/Jasco is coming out with a fan speed control switch. I think it will be less than Levitons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“brandoncreel, post:10, topic:180584”]I heard that GE/Jasco is coming out with a fan speed control switch. I think it will be less than Levitons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

That would be of great interest… :slight_smile:

I can be found for 40.00 other places. Ebay I think is like 38 free shipping or something.