Ezlo scene/rules and VOI etc

How about the local ntp server idea from @cw-kid ? Or a USB plug in device with RTC? Something like that:

I asked the question in post 6, no response to the question though.

Setting up first: Needs internet access to get the time for the first timeā€¦(every clock needs setting up first, whether manually or through Internet)
Then it has internal clock (no battery backup).
As long as there is power, internal clock will run.
If no power, it will drift by as much as there was no power to it.
At next available connection to internet it will get the time againā€¦

So Once you set and keep it powered no problemā€¦

If you set it up once and keep it powered the only issue you might suffer (which is normal for any clock) is the drift as a result of internal components ( Clock drift - Wikipedia )

1 Like

Clear explication!

There are users who run Ezlo hubs on uninterruptible power supply Uninterruptible power supply - Wikipedia
There are very cheap ones $30 or even cheaper brand newā€¦(since power consumption is fairly low in Ezlo hubs even the cheapest UPS will run for ages!). These are good for battery backed devices (motion, door sensors etc) as well, and if mains power has intermittent problem then UPS kicks in to keep the hub operating.

My question is still unanswered. As if internet is down and for some reason the power fails for a moment ( In Sky this can happen) then timed scenes would become unreliable. I do not wish to run UPS as there is a fire risk and house is unattended for months some times.

So can we add a local time server to stop the scenes from becoming unreliable?

Catalyst

And assuming your controller had a cmos battery powered rtc and you are away from it for months and the battery fails what next.

Youā€™ve been given a number very reliable options and if your controller really is mission critical the UPS is a safe and reliable option.

Every alarm Panel has a backup battery in the event of a power failure yet nobody complains about that.

Right now, no, but soon yes.
We are currently developing a feature that will allow you to define a new time server and frequency of updates from that additional time server.
Although we are working on it, but to give you visibility please go ahead and register it as a feature request here Service Desk so that you can track its progress.

Will my battery fail when power is not off for days just hours, and internet can be a few days.
I have no alarm panel, and i was looking for a direct answer, not an opinion. Safe until lithium battery decides to go up in flames, rather not take risk, i like my holiday home thank you.

@melih thank you for the reply and answering my question, i do not wish to register another account could you add the feature request please.

Itā€™s not an opinion I gave. Itā€™s fact. Maybe I donā€™t want an rtc feature added to the controller. One users feature may be another users hinderance and I donā€™t want the controllerā€™s sale price rising as a result of a feature being added that I donā€™t see as a feature when Iā€™ve resolved this matter locally.

OK we will work with your opinion as others donā€™t matter.
P.S. i never asked for added hardware. i asked if we could add an external time server.

Everyone matters but features need to be weighed up against production costs. Ask yourself why an rtc does not come standard on SBCs. In fact many hubs on sale today do not come standard with an rtc.

https://jira.mios.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/72/ECS-464

How does an external time server add cost to the Ezlo hardware?

@melih Thank you.

Iā€™m talking about an rtc. You got your answer on the subject of an ntp server so that should suffice.

But, i am asking about external time server, please donā€™t confuse the issue.

Iā€™m not. Iā€™ve just highlighted the fact for others wondering why the hub doesnā€™t have an rtc. As you refer to the ā€œothersā€

Do I? Where?

Remember posting thatā€¦

Listen the discussion is over. You demanded your feature, itā€™s been considered so youā€™ve had a good day.

Seems things are the same as with the old Vera hubs, regarding time and it being incorrect if the hub is rebooted whilst the Internet is down, as I demonstrated the time is then incorrect.

However if I had not of rebooted the hub it likely would of kept the correct time it had when the Internet went down and any scenes still would of run OK and on time.

I also would like to see the option to specify a local time server that is on my LAN, so the Ezlo hub can get its time there instead when the Internet has gone down.

Thanks.