An update to those following or have the same issue. After spending a very long time with support (who were very helpful and patient), they were unable to figure out what is wrong with the hub. As a final resort, we decided to reset the hub and delete all devices, which I then proceeded to painstakingly re-include into the network.
My implementation is in a commercial space with 6 floors containing about 25 zwave locks, 20 zwave signal repeater/extender plugs, and 12 zwave light switches. All the devices (other than the plugin repeaters) are already installed in doors and switch outlets and can’t be easily moved to where the hub is, so I carried the hub onto each floor.
I decided to start by re-adding the locks first since they’re older S0 locks and don’t have the issues that the S2 devices can sometimes cause with some hubs. On each floor, I plug the hub and move it so it’s almost touching the lock. I wait several minutes (some times up to 10 minutes) for the yellow flashing to stop and the hub establishes a stable connection to the cloud through the (very strong) wifi network in the area. The connection, however, is never stable and continues to be erratic and drops off intermittently. By the time I’m able to convince the hub to enter into exclusion mode to unpair the lock, then inclusion mode to pair it as a new lock, I’m usually spending 20-30 minutes just to do that.
With a fresh reset of the hub and zero devices on it, the first couple of locks are paired very quickly, within 10 seconds of the 60 second inclusion window that the Ezlo hub allows. But as I add more locks, the start of pairing takes longer and longer. Also, as I unplug the hub from one floor and replug to power on the next floor, the time it takes to connect to the cloud also gets longer and longer, requiring multiple restarts.
Eventually, after approximately 10 locks have been added, pairing takes 55 seconds to begin. Sometimes the whole 60 seconds lapse before the pairing sound on my lock comes on, but by that time the hub had already timed out and I have to begin the painful process of exclusion and inclusion again, with the hub continuously disconnecting and reconnecting to the cloud at random, and requiring multiple restarts of the hub and the phone app.
At about 15 locks I gave up. The hub was flashing yellow constantly and not connecting to the cloud at all. It was taking nearly 45 minutes to add a device. I went back to the office and plugged the hub there and left it for a whole day. The following day it looked like the hub stopped flashing and had a stable cloud connection. I started pulling locks out of the doors on each floor and bringing them to the hub in the office. Now they were still taking 55 seconds or more to pair, but the hub was stable enough and did not require multiple restarts. The exclusion and inclusion commands from the phone app were triggering the hub correctly.
After adding the remaining locks at the office, I reinstalled them on the various doors throughout the building. I then pulled all the zwave repeaters and brought them to the office to add to the hub. This also worked fine (taking nearly the entire 60 seconds to pair). I then distributed the repeaters, healed the zwave network, and tested that all the locks were receiving a signal from the hub via the repeaters (i locked and unlocked them successfully, and added PINs from the app).
Unfortunately, when I returned the next day, around 30% of the locks that I had added and tested successfully the night before disappeared from the network completely! They were still on the doors and the pins worked as before, but they were gone from the controller. I pulled out a few locks, brought them to the controller again, reset to factory settings on the lock, then excluded and included the lock again. It showed up on the controller and was working fine. I installed it on to the door and tested like the night before and it worked as expected. The following day, the same thing happened. Those locks disappeared from the controller device list.
I’m currently stuck as I’m not able to complete my setup, and I’m not able to find any information on how to view the error or debug logs of this ezlo plus hub that might give me a clue as to what happened overnight that disappeared those devices. I suspect that an older network backup is being restored automatically, one that didn’t have those locks on it yet. But I’m not able to confirm this.