External PIR motion sensor triggering IP camera with digital input

I have a Ademco Aurora PIR motion sensor connected to my DSC 1832 panel. When the sensor trips, Vera sees it. Everything works as it should.

My goal ultimately is to use the PIR motion sensor to trigger an IP camera for recording/snapshots. My existing cameras do not have a digital input so I am using a Monoprice door sensor as a binary sensor (not using the magnet) for testing purpose. What I find is that if the motion sensor NC outputs are connected to the panel and the sensor, the binary sensor does not detect anything while the alarm panel does. When the motion sensor is connected only to the binary sensor, the binary sensor works. In both cases, the PIR motion sensor is powered by the 12v aux from the alarm panel.

Has anyone successfully use a PIR motion sensor to trigger an IP camera with digital inputs while that PIR sensor is also connected to an alarm panel? Please let me know if you see something I am doing incorrectly.

Are you trying to record to the cameras directly? A Good dvr or Blueiris can be triggered from vera without having to physically run wires between a sensor and the camera.

Right now the plan is to have the cameras record directly and upload the images via ftp to an existing local NAS.

I know there are many pros to BI and DVR/NVR but one of the showstopper is having a power-hungry PC running 24/7 in the case of BI

I am trying to minimize spending additional $ buying new hardware and re-using what I already have - in this case the DSC panel/sensors as well as several Synology’s

[quote=“JohnC, post:3, topic:190729”]Right now the plan is to have the cameras record directly and upload the images via ftp to an existing local NAS.

I know there are many pros to BI and DVR/NVR but one of the showstopper is having a power-hungry PC running 24/7 in the case of BI

I am trying to minimize spending additional $ buying new hardware and re-using what I already have - in this case the DSC panel/sensors as well as several Synology’s[/quote]

There is not many ways to wire PIR to the Panel and the camera and you have tried it and it didn’t work. I don’t think I can offer much on that. The alarm panel com and return voltage is not playing nice with both at once and it was never designed to. A relay or two may work for you but that’s not what I would do to my alarm panel.

BlueIirs doesn’t need a power hungry computer or a big computer either. A nuc or such can run 10w maybe 20w under a load from the cameras, but I know what you mean about buying more hardware.

Looks like you also don’t have camera’s with an external input… which means you need to buy more hardware, ie. new cameras. Would it be better to buy cameras with a PIR in them? I have a DS-2CD2432F-IW that I bought for 100.00, not sure what camera’s you were planning on picking up. Or what pricepoint… Might even find a camera that can be trigger via Http and have vera trigger it.

I should have mentioned that this is for outdoor use. You are correct in that I need new cameras. I am trying to decide between cameras with digital input or as you mentioned, cameras with built-in PIR. Hence my experiment (with the binary sensor as proxy) to see how well the PIRs I already have perform in different scenarios.

So far I’ve found that there are fewer selections for outdoor cameras with built in PIR and they tend to be higher priced. If you know of any, please let me know. Whereas cameras with digital inputs are more common and relatively cheaper. For example, Hikvision 2-series cameras are supposed to all have digital inputs - so the manual says. I am trying not to exceed $100/camera.

If I cannot connect the PIR to both the camera and the alarm panel, then I would have the PIR trigger the camera directly without Vera in the middle. I would still need to run the cables for the power between the PIR and the panel though. Wiring wise, I think this is similar to your http trigger suggestion - the PIR would be wired to the panel; Vera sees it and triggers the camera via http. I believe this is what you are suggesting…

BI motion detection is still pixel based right? If using the camera’s motion detection, then BI is only as good as the camera’s right? I would think, additional hardware cost aside, pixed-based motion detection in BI will still be less accurate (more false alarms) than an outdoor PIR sensor. This is just my assumption as I don’t have much experience with BI other than playing around with their demo version.

Thanks for your inputs

[quote=“JohnC, post:5, topic:190729”]I should have mentioned that this is for outdoor use. You are correct in that I need new cameras. I am trying to decide between cameras with digital input or as you mentioned, cameras with built-in PIR. Hence my experiment (with the binary sensor as proxy) to see how well the PIRs I already have perform in different scenarios.

So far I’ve found that there are fewer selections for outdoor cameras with built in PIR and they tend to be higher priced. If you know of any, please let me know. Whereas cameras with digital inputs are more common and relatively cheaper. For example, Hikvision 2-series cameras are supposed to all have digital inputs - so the manual says. I am trying not to exceed $100/camera.

If I cannot connect the PIR to both the camera and the alarm panel, then I would have the PIR trigger the camera directly without Vera in the middle. I would still need to run the cables for the power between the PIR and the panel though. Wiring wise, I think this is similar to your http trigger suggestion - the PIR would be wired to the panel; Vera sees it and triggers the camera via http. I believe this is what you are suggesting…

BI motion detection is still pixel based right? If using the camera’s motion detection, then BI is only as good as the camera’s right? I would think, additional hardware cost aside, pixed-based motion detection in BI will still be less accurate (more false alarms) than an outdoor PIR sensor. This is just my assumption as I don’t have much experience with BI other than playing around with their demo version.

Thanks for your inputs[/quote]

Yes BI motion outdoors is not very good due to headlights, bugs or other things that can cause false triggers. Problem is PIR’s are not good outdoors also unless you have a outdoor rated PIR which has multiple tests. What PIR are you using outdoor?

That hikvision I said I had with PIR is mounted on the front porch for Voice, and such. I have found outdoors the PIR has false triggers with wind breeze due to temp changes. I have also tested my panel with some indoor rated motions and had the same issue.

I myself have looked into some motions for out front. I use blue iris now but have to turn sensitivity down so much it almost doesn’t work to prevent car headlight triggers. But outdoor motions are more then cameras costing 150ish. So I haven’t done that yet. But my testing shows indoor rated motions outdoors don’t work right and cause false trigger more so on windy days.

Agree with you @integlikewhoa also as my outdoor cameraPIR sensor have false triggers due to winds and during the night with car headlights and very few from animals (Foscam 9853EP insyalled under the roof )

I have also PIR motion sensor ( 4 in 1 Aeotec + Everspring HSP02) installed under the roof and a bit of false triggers due to animals

So no solution as well

My videosurvellance scenario is based on a scene “when a motion sensor triggers , some pictures are updoaded to my Dropbox account by the plugin “Webcam Dropbox uploader”” … with falsetriggers

[quote=“gerardosamara, post:7, topic:190729”]Agree with you @integlikewhoa also as my outdoor cameraPIR sensor have false triggers due to winds and during the night with car headlights and very few from animals (Foscam 9853EP insyalled under the roof )

I have also PIR motion sensor ( 4 in 1 Aeotec + Everspring HSP02) installed under the roof and a bit of false triggers due to animals

So no solution as well

My videosurvellance scenario is based on a scene “when a motion sensor triggers , some pictures are updoaded to my Dropbox account by the plugin “Webcam Dropbox uploader”” … with falsetriggers[/quote]

how is your Everspring with wind? I might be able to handle animals but not on a windy night getting notification after notification of wind.

@integlikewhoa - I already have the Ademco Aurora sensors. They are rated for indoors and I plan on mounting them under the eaves. I am not very optimistic but since I have them anyways, mine as well… I may be able to get my hands on one or more of the following:

• Takex MS-100E
  • Optex LX-402; maybe a VX-402R though it’s a longshot
  • DSC LC-171

Do you have any DVR recommendations that has alarm inputs below $600?

BTW I spent some time with HikVision today. They have a “2-series Manual” where it claims that all cameras that the manual covers (and it lists all the models there) support alarm inputs. Well apparently that’s incorrect so the manual needs to be discounted.

[quote=“JohnC, post:9, topic:190729”]@integlikewhoa - I already have the Ademco Aurora sensors. They are rated for indoors and I plan on mounting them under the eaves. I am not very optimistic but since I have them anyways, mine as well… I may be able to get my hands on one or more of the following:

• Takex MS-100E
  • Optex LX-402; maybe a VX-402R though it’s a longshot
  • DSC LC-171

Do you have any DVR recommendations that has alarm inputs below $600?

BTW I spent some time with HikVision today. They have a “2-series Manual” where it claims that all cameras that the manual covers (and it lists all the models there) support alarm inputs. Well apparently that’s incorrect so the manual needs to be discounted.[/quote]

The Aurora sensor are the ones that gave me a ton of false alerts. I have not tested any true outdoor motions.
I have researched the DSC LC-151 and 171 and figured I would pick up one of them in the future for testing. The 151’s can be had for 50-55.00 each on ebay. I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I don’t have a DVR recommendation. I Run Blueiris at 3 different houses on different machines (mostly custom built machines, two Micro and one full tower). Amd and Intel machines mixed with my favor going toward intel due to low CPU load and no video card needed, BI also had a update with an option for intel to lower is load. It cut cpu usage in half. On that mini box with an i7 10 hikvision 3MP 2 series, 20 FPS, full resolution and direct to disc it runs at 18% cpu load. On the full tower (multiple HDD’s) I also run a PLEX server, ubiquiti unifi server and a few other things that benefit from an always on server.

Hikvision cameras the letters change at the end if they have digital inputs. None of the many hikvision DS-C2DXXX I have, have digital inputs. The digital inputs have an extra pig tail that hangs off the Ethernet POE.

Specifically, the model that contains a “S” has the option to include alarm inputs. You need to specify that at the time of ordering. In terms of bullets, the only ones I could find are Vari-focal so they are upwards of $150. There are some domes/mini-domes which are around $100 but I am not sure how well they would work in my application.

Specifically, the model that contains a “S” has the option to include alarm inputs. You need to specify that at the time of ordering. In terms of bullets, the only ones I could find are Vari-focal so they are upwards of $150. There are some domes/mini-domes which are around $100 but I am not sure how well they would work in my application.[/quote]

Domes are the leas favorite of mine due to night time IR reflection and the lack of IR coverage.

Bullets are the easiest to mount and most versatile, but easy to push with a broom and seems to have the worst luck with spiders and webs

The Turret is the best of both worlds IR is open and separate from the camera.

I’ve heard similar. As long as I stay with Hik, bullets have to be vari-focal.

I am sort of surprised with what I am finding with the solutions out there (or lack thereof) for a camera with external PIR motion trigger. I guess that’s one of the reasons why guys like Ring are getting some traction…

The Takex comes with it’s own 12V DC power supply. The DSC and Optex all have to be wired into the panel IIRC.

The Takex comes with it’s own 12V DC power supply. The DSC and Optex all have to be wired into the panel IIRC.[/quote]

We are in different positions. For me wired is always better then battery. Wired to panel… I have my panel in vera so that gives me a virtual sensor in vera easily. I also have easy attic access from eves to the panel which all wires run threw attic to panel.

But you can power the DSC with any 12v DC input. Battery or a 12v wall wort would work if you did want to run all the way back to the panel.