Experiences (positive and negative) on zwave sensors as alarm system

Hi all,

I’m about to buy a Vera and start with home automation (first steps: automation of lights and other power using equipment and security by means of some motion sensors, door-window sensors and may be IP camera).
I read through this forum and also others very thoroughly (took my quite some hours but I learned a lot). My biggest question is should I choose for (only) zwave devices also for home security OR buy a dedicated alarm system that can be integrated in Vera. I read a lot of times the latter is the best choice for mainly reliability and costs.
dedicated alarm system ?
I live in Holland and DSC system (I read very positive experiences about DSC) is not or hardly available and the same counts more and less also for Honeywell. So that limits my choice to Visonic Powermax. Concerning costs this would be a negative thing because a starter kit costs already more than EUR 500 and the wireless motion sensors (EUR 65-70 per piece) and door-window sensors (EUR 40-45 per piece) of Visonic are not cheaper (on the contrary more expensive…) than the Zwave sensors here in Holland. I cannot work with wired systems in my existing house.
Zwave devices ?
I read a lot of negative experiences with the zwave motion sensors and door-window sensors. But in lot of cases people did not install them right or firmware (device and/or Vera) had to be adapted. Which is often the case with new technologies/products…

My questions to all you that have at least half a year experience with one or more of the zwave motion sensors and door-window sensors
What device(s) do/did you use ? What is your experience at this moment, what about false triggers, need to reset the sensor once in while AND battery life ? Would you recommend me to use them as use in security system OR choose for a dedicated alarm system ?
My interest goes to the devices of Everspring, Fibaro (only door-window at this moment), Vision and Philiotech (about Aeon Labs and EZmotion I only have read negative experiences…)

I just bought a GE NX8-E kit with wireless for 100.00 in the US (on Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/321244474454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) with locking panel, backup battery, keypad, siren, power transformer, 1 motion sensor and a few other goodies. Wired motions are about 12.00 each (bought 6 http://www.ebay.com/itm/171151681180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) contacts are around 2.00 each. I got a few wireless sensors for hard to reach places (http://www.ebay.com/itm/161124548124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649). Then the cost goes up but is still cheaper then z-wave and much more reliable.

So take this for what it’s worth.

If your doing only wireless its going to cost about the same either way you go.

If you can hardwired sensors and contacts then its going to be cheaper to use an alarm.

Either way an Alarm is going to be better route and more reliable.

This panel ties in nicely and I did interior pantry and laundry room door sensors to turn on and off lights when going in and out. After you have the panel setup adding a door is the cost of cheap wire and 2.00 door contact. Adding motions around the outside cost 12.00 to turn on side lights or front porch. If I went zwave only it would cost me double or triple to add each contact or motion.
Plus you got a stand alone system if Z-wave ever gave me a problem and I can pay 10.00 a month for monitoring service. If I choose to. Just alot more options. Don’t try and reinvent the wheel. Get an alarm and tie it together.

Also GE is not available here in Holland. And I cannot work with wired sensors in my home situation. So I really would like to hear some experiences with [u]Z-wave sensors[u] as I have asked for to make a choice between Vera + 100% zwave or Vera with Visonic Powermax.

You might be asking to specific of a question for most here. But you can search for threads. Z-wave alarm is not recommended as a good option, but it sounds like that’s not what you want to hear.