EVL4 install process for Vera Edge / UI7

I had to dig around awhile to figure out all the steps for connecting an Envisalink 4 to a Vera Edge, so I figure I’ll share what worked for me.

1. Got to http://www.eyezon.com/ and create an account
  2. Choose Add new device from the portal and register your EVL4
  3. Take a pic of your EVL4 so you have the MAC address
  4. Install your EVL4 into your alarm panel
  • disconnect power plug and then the battery
  • wire up the EVL4
  • reconnect battery and then power
  1. Find the EVL4’s IP from your router and go to its web portal (default login is user/user)
  2. Set a static IP and a new password (apparently this password is stored as clear-text so don’t use your bank password here)
  3. Go to your Vera’s web portal and install the DSC plug-in (under Apps → Install apps). The plug-in will create a new device on your Vera, I named mine Alarm Interface.
    Note: the Vera app store at apps.mios.com is apparently for older Vera’s. Stay away from there, it’s useless.
  4. Open the Alarm Interface device → Advanced → Params and fill out these fields:
    ip: static IP of your EVL4 (some directions say to include a port but I didn’t)
    mac: from your EVL4
  5. Switch to the New Service tab and enter these fields:
    New service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DSCAlarmPanel1
    New variable: InterfacePassword
    New value: your password
  6. Reboot your Vera (under Settings → Net & Wifi, just because)
  7. You should see some new door and motion devices now. Go back to Alarm Interface device → Advanced → Variables and there will be a bunch of new variables.
  8. Update DoorZones and MotionZones with your zone setup. DoorZones should include doors and windows.
  9. Reboot again. The door and motion devices should match your config now.
  10. Manually label all your new devices - there is no way to import the names from your alarm system.

Sounds pretty much the same as the EVL-3 set up. I would add that in the DSC system the zone labels are stored in the keypad(s) not the panel itself, I did read somewhere how to download them but I was OK with manually inputting them into Vera.

I followed the above instructions and upon reboot I get DSC panel is not configured. All I have under Devices is DSC Alarm Panel. I still have it setup in my Vera Lite. Would that cause problems?

I am using a EVL-3.

Thanks
Jim

Edit:
I think I found the problem, It didn’t save my changes. Once I click on Save Changes how long does it take to actually save the changes? I seen the button change color for a second as I pressed it but nothing said completed.

I clicked save and left it for 5 minutes and came back. This time it saved the changes and is working but only 6 of my 16 zones showed up. All my zones are either door or window contacts. I have no motion detectors.

I went to Devices>DSC Alarm Panel>Advanced then selected Variables tab.

Current setup I found was
DoorZones = 1,2
MotionZones = 3,4,5,6

I changed them to
DoorZones = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
MotionZones I left blank.

Now I have all my zones. Now I get to label all of them.

Jim

[quote=“yoodge, post:1, topic:190998”]I had to dig around awhile to figure out all the steps for connecting an Envisalink 4 to a Vera Edge, so I figure I’ll share what worked for me.

1. Got to http://www.eyezon.com/ and create an account
  2. Choose Add new device from the portal and register your EVL4
  3. Take a pic of your EVL4 so you have the MAC address
  4. Install your EVL4 into your alarm panel
  • disconnect power plug and then the battery
  • wire up the EVL4
  • reconnect battery and then power
  1. Find the EVL4’s IP from your router and go to its web portal (default login is user/user)
  2. Set a static IP and a new password (apparently this password is stored as clear-text so don’t use your bank password here)
  3. Go to your Vera’s web portal and install the DSC plug-in (under Apps → Install apps). The plug-in will create a new device on your Vera, I named mine Alarm Interface.
    Note: the Vera app store at apps.mios.com is apparently for older Vera’s. Stay away from there, it’s useless.
  4. Open the Alarm Interface device → Advanced → Params and fill out these fields:
    ip: static IP of your EVL4 (some directions say to include a port but I didn’t)
    mac: from your EVL4
  5. Switch to the New Service tab and enter these fields:
    New service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DSCAlarmPanel1
    New variable: InterfacePassword
    New value: your password
  6. Reboot your Vera (under Settings → Net & Wifi, just because)
  7. You should see some new door and motion devices now. Go back to Alarm Interface device → Advanced → Variables and there will be a bunch of new variables.
  8. Update DoorZones and MotionZones with your zone setup. DoorZones should include doors and windows.
  9. Reboot again. The door and motion devices should match your config now.
  10. Manually label all your new devices - there is no way to import the names from your alarm system.[/quote]

yoodge, thanks for the info. I setup my Vera Lite around 3 years ago and I could not remember how to do it. Your post made it very easy.

Thanks
Jim

Yes, thanks so much for this. I’m not even sure where the install instructions can be found…your thread here was all I needed :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Dennis.

Dennis, see http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_dscalarmpanel

Which is what?

New variable: InterfacePassword ← Vera’s password or Eyezon or DSC panel or something else?
New value: your password ← Vera’s password or Eyezon or DSC panel or something else?

None of the above, this is only req’d if you change the default EVL password itself to a new one

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,5154.msg77911.html#msg77911

I can’t get my DSC to work with UI7, I just deleted my device and recreated one and now I get a pop-up error: “Received empty response”

I just can’t get it to connect to my EVL3 anymore :frowning:

Hi, can you move to this thread which is the same subject.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,36550.0.html

Try this in interim.
Restart luup. In another Browser tab VeraIP:3480/data_request?id=reload

Then try to recreate the device.

Thanks for letting us know how to get it to work. Once it was setup, were you able to change that password or did you have to leave it as the default?

Thank you for the detailed post. Very helpful. Do you know if you are able to get the “Instant Stay” arming mode to work. The documentation (which still refers to UI4/UI5) shows all the arming buttons (Away, Stay, Instant Stay, etc.). The DSC Plugin in UI7 now shows only Arm, Stay, Force, and Disarm. Do you if there is a way to add variables to show a button for the Instant Stay mode?

After spending 3 days of debugging my veraplus, the EVL4 and my setup. . . I have some advice that I haven’t found anywhere else.

Keep your password short! Possibly 6 characters or less?

I have not rebooted my veraplus enough times to 100% confirm the password length requirements, but note the EnvisaLink TPI Programmer’s Document, Section 3.2 wherein you find the “Network Login” information about code 005 and you will see that the number of available data bytes is only 6. My information is only a guess, but it does have some basis in reality.

I suffered through these last 3 days with a long password on my EVL4 and continual failure only to change both passwords to a 6 character ASCII string and see immediate success. I do realize that my information is anecdotal and YMMV, but I hope that this helps someone!

Hi
I’m new to vera and trying to configure my EVL4 to work with vera plus, i found this thread and followed the procedure as described and now my vera plus finds all the door, motion and smoke alarms! thank you for posting that :slight_smile: (i have a older alarm installation but with upgraded hardware DSC 1616 panel )
problem is; I’m not able to remote arm my system, it works from the Eyez-on app flawlessly., but when trying to arm through vera app i get message:DSCAlarmPanel : Remote Arm is not enabled.
If anyone have suggestion of what i can do to get this working that would be greatly appreasiated.

[quote=“Kirie82, post:15, topic:190998”]Hi
I’m new to vera and trying to configure my EVL4 to work with vera plus, i found this thread and followed the procedure as described and now my vera plus finds all the door, motion and smoke alarms! thank you for posting that :slight_smile: (i have a older alarm installation but with upgraded hardware DSC 1616 panel )
problem is; I’m not able to remote arm my system, it works from the Eyez-on app flawlessly., but when trying to arm through vera app i get message:DSCAlarmPanel : Remote Arm is not enabled.
If anyone have suggestion of what i can do to get this working that would be greatly appreasiated.[/quote]

It sounds like you did not enable the add on to remote arm.
Go here and do step #20

in the step 8 in new service, wich module are you talking, theDSC alarm panel or the partition 1 interface where we put the code to arm ? because the dsc pluggin have 2 devices that add to the vera.

other question
new variable: ( which is the interface password)
new value: your password (what is this password)

Hi guys. This looks like a knowledgeable thread…

I’m in the UK. I hear good things about DSC alarms. I don’t have an alarm and may install one of these systems. Could I ask:

• are there any recommended suppliers for the UK or should I import direct from the US?
  • I notice a couple of frequencies in the 400 and 800mhz range. Which do I need for the UK?
  • I’d like to use the plugin for interface with my Vera. Does it matter which model of DSC I get or will it work with all?
  • I will mount the keypad remote from the alarm cabinet. Are the keypads wireless or do I need to run a hardwire?
  • what functionality does the Vera plug in provide? Is it just alarm notifications or is there more.

Sorry for the all questions. It’s just that it’s likely to cost a fair few quid so wanted to do some homework before hand.

Cheers in advance.

Sorry to bring up old posts but I have installed a brand new Vera Edge and like a fool, I installed the latest Vera firmware onto it before installing anything else.
After installing the DSC add on I can not get anything to appear in the “Variables” tab including Partitions, Zones and EnableRemoteArm

Anyone know how to add these or go back to a firmware that works correctly with the DSC Add On?

I have two questions:

Does this plugin support EVL4
And does anyone know if EVL4 works with the DCS powerseries NEO

Many thanks