EventWatcher in UI7

Of course, the [u]real[/u] problem appears to be that you can't turn off verbose logging - or at least that doesn't work for me.

Ah! I see, trying it in the latest firmware version, that it does work - this would seem to be a viable way to reduce logging activity. What happens now is that the “[tt]retries 2 failed https://0.0.0.0/event/event/event[/tt]” seems to take up most of the log (although, of course, they happen no more frequently.)

As I said, work is in progress to handle this correctly.

You tried the App Store release??[/quote]

I want to give it another try. Again i’m a newbie so a few things confused me in the documentation. Couple things:

1. SYSLOG server config - do I need to setup a syslog server somewhere? If so how?
  2. USB/LOG locations - I can’t get the USB stick to work with my Edge… So not sure where to put logs?

DataYours looks ideal for what I want if I can get it configured.

Great, thanks. We’re here to help you out, so don’t hesitate to ask.

1) SYSLOG server config - do I need to setup a syslog server somewhere? If so how?
No, totally optional. If you have to ask about it, you don't need it. Some people just can't live without it. It's one way to get data off Vera and into a proper reporting system.
2) USB/LOG locations - I can't get the USB stick to work with my Edge.. So not sure where to put logs?
You can store logs locally on Vera - I have just such an arrangement on my Vera Edge for testing, but it's best to keep archive sizes to a minimum. An alternative is to install a system called CIFS which enables you to mount network storage devices (if you have any.) Your USB issue is a separate thing that I can't help with, but others out there seem to have this going OK.
At least start with a few watched variables and local storage. Then, if it's what you want, you can work on better storage options.

Good luck.

Great, thanks. We’re here to help you out, so don’t hesitate to ask.

1) SYSLOG server config - do I need to setup a syslog server somewhere? If so how?
No, totally optional. If you have to ask about it, you don't need it. Some people just can't live without it. It's one way to get data off Vera and into a proper reporting system.
2) USB/LOG locations - I can't get the USB stick to work with my Edge.. So not sure where to put logs?
You can store logs locally on Vera - I have just such an arrangement on my Vera Edge for testing, but it's best to keep archive sizes to a minimum. An alternative is to install a system called CIFS which enables you to mount network storage devices (if you have any.) Your USB issue is a separate thing that I can't help with, but others out there seem to have this going OK.
At least start with a few watched variables and local storage. Then, if it's what you want, you can work on better storage options.

Good luck.[/quote]

Ok back I go to give it another try! I only want to watch temperature and humidity. I can’t see that taking up much log space even over the log run. I probably get 30-40 temp readings per day. If it is being efficiently stored it will be a long time before I even hit a few hundred MB of data. Does your tool automatically overwrite the log file once it hits the cap?

No dice re-installing it. I had installed and uninstalled it yesterday. Now during reinstall it seems to hang and then app doesn’t show up in the apps list or the device list. I rebooted vera and same issue. Do I need to manually clean something up?

We are talking about [tt]DataYours[/tt], right? Can we move the discussion over to this thread, as it’s not really an [tt]EventWatcher[/tt] issue?

[url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30808.0.html]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30808.0.html[/url]

Famous last words… :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually - what I mainly installed EventWatcher for was to monitor battery status and using PLEG (or something else) alarm when one got too low. Any pointers for a newbie to get something like that going?

Whilst [tt]EventWatcher[/tt] will produce a report of battery status for all such devices, it’s not really going to help you with using PLEG to alarm when one goes low. I imagine that you CAN do this with PLEG on its own - all the battery levels are already accessible to it - but I don’t know, because I don’t use PLEG.

Just purchased an Edge. Went to add your app using the Install apps option and it says it was last updated 2014-01-27 version 1.20140123.

Does not seem like like that is the current version.

Should I install it or get it some other way?

Thanks … Tim

That is the latest in the App Store… it’s definitely time for an update, but a bit busy with other things at the moment. You might download the Lua file attached to this post [url=http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30428.msg216997.html#msg216997]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30428.msg216997.html#msg216997[/url], which has the latest functionality and bug fixes.

Do not, whatever you do, try the Alternate Event Server functionality. This is not working correctly on UI7.

Thanks for the prompt response. I found the LUA file in the other thread,.

Tim

@akbooer, question I seem to have a memory leak or something (e.g. logs) are slowly eating up my free memory which eventually cause a LUA restart. Is there anyway of see which apps or process is the culprit? Mike

Not as far as I know.

Apart from wanton vandalism, it’s actually quite hard, if not impossible, to make a true ‘memory leak’ in a Lua app. You can, of course, just create lots of large objects, which will use up memory.

The memory leaks come, I believe, from the C or C++ bits of Luup. Why it was written that way, I’ve no idea, it’s really not necessary. My own implementation of luup, openLuup, is written entirely in Lua and doesn’t have memory leaks. But I digress.

EventWatcher itself monitors its own memory, and, in extremis, you could add a similar short snippet of code to any plugin to report what it’s using.

Other than that, it’s a bit tough.

@akbooer, you’ve perked my interest with you statement of adding a short snippet of code… pray tell what would that code snip-it be and where within the plugin would one attach-it to? I’ve just pruned my non-used / non-essential plugins in the hopes that I’ve eradicated the memory culprit ::slight_smile: and “yes you too can win the Lottery”… I have one other possible item that I’ve done recently (within the month) which was to add a new USB memory stick for my logs, what I don’t know is it being utilized correctly. Mike

EventWatcher itself monitors its own memory, and, in extremes, you could add a similar short snippet of code to any plugin to report what it's using.

Oh question is there a way to get the various reports e.g. app, mem and cpu to show up stacked on a single page?

Well, that would be this…

function sysinfoPulse ()
  luup.call_delay ('sysinfoPulse', 5 * 60, "")						-- revisit every 5 minutes
  luup.log ("App Memory Used: " .. math.floor(collectgarbage "count"))
end

sysinfoPulse()

…placed somewhere in the startup code of the said plugin.

I do this with DataYours (see attachment).
You’d have to rescale cpu usage, because it doesn’t do multiple plots on different axes.
Or just export to Excel or the like.

@akbooer, Many thanxs for the code snip-it, I will have to use it. I will attempt to reload DataYours again hopefully it will load properly. Mike