Energy Meter Recommendations

Hi All:

I’m fairly new to this having installed a VERA2 with 2 Kwik-set locks and 2 Trane Thermostats on my rental vacation home in FL.
I am installing a solar inverter and PV panels this summer (I’m in that business) and want to install energy meters on:
a) the incoming service entrance to measure and double check utility energy usage and,
b) the AC output of the Solar Inverter to measure the energy my system generates

I have found 2 possible devices to do this. AEON Labs makes a CT setup that talks Z-Wave while The Energy Detective (TED5000) device communicates Zigbee I think to a gateway that then VERA can talk to via WIFI.

Would love to hear anyone’s experiences with these two devices. Ease of setup? Reliability? Accuracy of data? What does the interface to VERA look like in UI4?

Thanks for your help.
RW

The TED5000 is Ethernet for use with Vera (CT hardwired to MTU, which injects into power line. Gateway picks it up and wires into LAN). Check this for some screenshots and set up pics by @woodsby.

I’m using The Energy Detective (TED5000). Requires a plugin easy to set up.
It works flawless so far. It seems very reliable.
It also works with Google Power Meter.

I don’t know about other devices.

Gast

I have a TED 5000 and really like it. I have it integrated with Vera with woodsby’s plugin, which works great. I don’t really use it much in vera though, as I much prefer to use its built in web server. I my opinion a energy meter is much more valuable when it maintains a history of data, which the TED does very nicely providing graphs over time.

Setup was technically easy, but it took hooking the clamps up to several different circuits until I found one that worked reliably with the data recording unit. Once I did get it communicating it was worked solidly since, with not a single problem I can recollect.

Also, if you happen to live in Colorado you can get 40% back on it as a state incentive, this may exist elsewhere too. You may have to buy it from a CO retailer to qualify, that wasn’t clear. I didn’t (got it from amazon.com), so I am not sure if I will receive my $80 back.

I did a review of the Aeon Labs HEM meter, it can be found at MyHomeServer.com
Works great, Screenshots and other info up there

Ted 5000 seem to be not good for Europe at 220V @50hz. I think only Ted Pro could work in Europe. Did anybody tried it in Europe?