Econet Z-Wave Controllable AC/Heating Vents. Vera Forum Group Buy Discount

I’ve used this method to secure discounts for forum members with other forums that I am active on such as Reef Central, Corvette Forum and others. Feel free to google my username to see that I’m legit and honest.

Edit.
The group buy is now open and has been extended until June 15th!!! The price is $55 each. Read details below.

The discount code is: Vera1506

Got to:
http://starlinepc.com/index.php/z-wave/vents-registers.html

It processes a $20.00 discount to each vent which will reduce the price of $75.00 to $55.00.

Go to ?Edit Cart? before check out and apply the discount code.

For customers that want a white controller for the 6x10 brown vent, make a note in the field for the fax number as ?White Controller?

Thanks for participating in this group buy! We will setup a separate thread in this section of the forum so we can share our configurations, idea’s and any other relevant info pertaining to our setup.

I’ve been in contact with Econet Control. They manufacture a Z-Wave controllable duct vents that has been tested to work with Vera. It will function as a dimmer switch and give you the ability to open, close or even partially open/close vents via Z-Wave commands and scenes. For me, I run a single central AC in my 2 story home and as you can imagine, it’s a very inefficient setup. My plan is to use these vents to create an upstairs zone and downstairs zone. I will create scenes to Heat Upstairs or Cool Upstairs. Either of which will close the downstairs vents and open the upstairs ones. Then trigger the heat and use the upstairs temp sensors for the set point. I will have separate scenes for Heat Downstairs and Cool Downstairs that will close the upstairs vents and open the downstairs vents. Then use the temp sensor downstairs to control the set points. This should save me a small fortune on cooling and heating costs while also not turning my upstairs into an oven when I run the heat since my existing thermostat is in a lousy location downstairs. I’m switching to an Ecobee3 thermostat to help with this implementation but any Z-Wave or Vera controllable thermostat should work well in this scenario.

These vents normally range in price from $75 to $95 each depending on where you look. I have secured Vera Forum members a tiered discount based on the Qty that we can put together. This offer is currently for US Based members and possibly our Canadian neighbors but there may also be options for international customers if the interest is there. The Qty discounts are based on total combined group purchase Qty.

I will likely be ordering 7-10 vents myself. I would like to get some feedback here from members who are seriously interested in participating in this group buy. If you are seriously interested in purchasing some of these vents, please reply to this thread with the qty you will be wanting. Please make sure you subscribe to this thread by hitting the “Notify” button at the top right of this page so you can keep up with updates and make the purchase when we have enough commitment to make it worth while. When it’s time to place orders, we will coordinate that with Econet. I’m thinking this group buy will run for 30 days. Depending on the feedback here, we can ship as soon as we get enough commitment. I am buying these regardless of the numbers we achieve but if we can hit 25 vents, that would be a GREAT opportunity for all who take advantage of this offer. You will be buying these directly from Econet once we determine the desired count and open the purchase up. More information on these vents can be found at: http://econetcontrols.com/EV100.php

These are the available vent sizes. These sizes are based on the internal register. You will need to remove the vent and measure the opening to determine your vent size. The pricing is the same for all sizes and the discount will be based on total number of vents in any combination of sizes. Note that presently, they have more sizes in brown than white. If you need a white vent that is only currently available in brown, a white Z-Wave module can be included and you can just paint the outside of the vent. They are metal so a can of Krylon will fix that.

EV100-4X10WH Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 4" x 10" mounting, white
EV100-6X12WH Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 6" x 12" mounting, white
EV100-6X12BR Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 6" x 12" mounting, brown
EV100-4X12WH Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 4" x 12" mounting, white
EV100-4X12BR Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 4" x 12" mounting, brown
EV100-6X10BR Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 6" x 10" mounting, brown
EV100-2X12BR Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 2" x 12" mounting, brown
EV100-2X12BR Z-Wave Z-Vent register for 2" x 12" mounting, brown

This is the discount pricing for this group purchase. These prices don’t include shipping but shipping will be cheap. It will be based on destination address and weights. Ground shipping for several vents should be under $20 total. Keep in mind that I will be purchasing several myself so we will certainly be at the 10 unit pricing right of the bat with my purchase. If we can get commitments from a few other members, then I think we could get to the 25+pc qty price break which would be a great deal on these vents.

Combined group pricing… Again, the quantity discounts below reflect total group purchase not individual purchase. As such, we all save based on the group quantity commitment. If for example, 3 people here (myself included) get us to a total of 25 pcs and you only need 3 vents, then your cost will only be $55 a vent which is a real bargain!
1-4 units, $75.00
5+ units, $ 69.00
10+ units, $ 65.00
25+ units, $ 55.00

If you have any questions about this purchase or the product, feel free to ask here and I will try to answer the questions to the best of my ability or refer you to Econet if I don’t have the answer. If you want to participate in this group buy, please reply below with the qty and part number/size color you want. Once we get a few commitments, we will open this purchase up with Econet.

About the product:
Z-Vent Model: EV100 Z-Wave Vent/Register

Adding the Z-Vent to your Z-Wave home automation system reduces energy cost. Evenly distribute air flow for Heating or AC in your home. Automatic and intelligent control of room venting. Shut off air flow to rooms when they are unoccupied or automatic temperature control for each room. Partially open of close vent to balance air flow. The Z-Wave Z-Vent is compatible with most Z-Wave controllers and Z-Wave Control Software allowing scheduling, temperature and occupancy automation of heating or AC air flow in your home our business. Various vent sizes are available. Easy programing and setup.

Certified Modular Z-Wave Controller
Open/Closed or
Position increments of 10 degrees
U.S. Standard Frequency
Steel and Plastic construction
Requires 2 x AAA Batteries
5 standard sizes (see price list)
Intelligent position feedback (open/closed)
Battery Level feedback
Red/Green LED indicators
Pairing button (Z-Wave inclusion/exclusion)
Manual open and close buttons

Quick Start Guide can be found here:
http://econetcontrols.com/PDF/Z-Vent-Quick-Start-Guide-v3.pdf

Here is a video overview of the vent:

Here is a video of the vents in action.

Again, here is the link to the Econet Controls.
http://econetcontrols.com/EV100.php

this is great… i’m totally in. will get back to you on total number. Interesting in that i think the last time i looked at the site, these were $100… so they’ve already lowered their prices a bit. $55 would be great.

I know there are lots of other discussions (in these forums) about controlling flow, and thoughts on the effect that may have (negatively) on your HVAC system. I wonder if the guys at Eco have any thoughts there on best way to setup?

[quote=“tomgru, post:2, topic:187123”]this is great… i’m totally in. will get back to you on total number. Interesting in that i think the last time i looked at the site, these were $100… so they’ve already lowered their prices a bit. $55 would be great.

I know there are lots of other discussions (in these forums) about controlling flow, and thoughts on the effect that may have (negatively) on your HVAC system. I wonder if the guys at Eco have any thoughts there on best way to setup?[/quote]

Glad to have you aboard!

I think the issues pertaining to the AC system are pressure related and really would be more install and system specific. As such would be hard for them to answer since every home and system is different due to ducting, number of vents, AC size etc. In most cases, not closing vents all the way will eliminate a scenario where too much pressure builds up. Having the ability to partially close a vent such as you can with these is a viable work around. Or if you have enough vents upstairs or downstairs, then excess pressure should not be an issue either. There are other workarounds for dealing with excess pressure in the system caused by restrictions which I will elaborate further on once I talk further with my AC guy. Having said that, I will likely adjust my vents such that they only close partially but once I get the system installed, I may have my AC guy swing by and measure my AC pressure to make sure it’s not an issue. Based on that, I will be able to fine tune the vents if I need to.

[quote=“tomgru, post:2, topic:187123”]this is great… i’m totally in. will get back to you on total number. Interesting in that i think the last time i looked at the site, these were $100… so they’ve already lowered their prices a bit. $55 would be great.

I know there are lots of other discussions (in these forums) about controlling flow, and thoughts on the effect that may have (negatively) on your HVAC system. I wonder if the guys at Eco have any thoughts there on best way to setup?[/quote]

I just got off the phone with my friend who is in the AC business. He does service and installs. We discussed my plan for adding the vents. The way to deal with the excess pressure that can be caused by closing too many vents is done by adding a barometric damper. It’s a duct that goes between the supply side and the return side of the AC that has a damper in it that opens based on pressure. It allows the return air to cycle back to the supply side if the pressure in the system is excessive. In essence, it’s a simple thing to address that reduces pressure inside the system while also reducing vent noise from closed vents. He is swinging by my house tomorrow to check the charge in my system as well as take a look at my ducting at which point I will figure out what needs to be done to add the barometric damper. I will post more once I have more info.

This sounds very interesting. Do you currently have any of these? If so, do you think there is any way to mod them and run 3vdc power into them and forgo the batteries.

I would be interested in 2 of the EV100-6X12WH Z-Vent register for 6" x 12" mounting, white if we reach the $55.00 mark.

I don’t currently run them but if you are handing, I am sure you could modify the batter contacts or the wires to the batteries to accept a 3vdc power source. That said, how would you power the AC Adapter to drive it? I could see routing the wires behind the frame but most people don’t have a power source behind or near their vents. With decent batteries, I don’t see them running out of juice for several months or more so I don’t think replacing batteries will be a huge issue. The battery/Z-Wave control module snaps in and out so swapping them on rare occasions should be fast and simple provided you have a ladder.

Sounds good. I don’t think we are very far off from the $55 mark. Just be sure to stay subscribed to the thread and if you know anybody else with a Z-Wave HA setup, pass this thread along to them.

I have to check my registers to see if they are a supported size. If so, I’d be in for 4 if we hit $55 as well.

This may give me the ability to more fine tune cooling in my living area and master bedroom by fully opening/ mostly closing appropriate registers depending of time of day. Since all rooms in question have PIR sensors with built-in temp sensors already installed it should be easy. Less air in the living room where the tstat is should give more air in the bedroom and make the A/C work a bit longer to achieve the desired temp in the living room. Causing the bedroom to receive more cold air and be cooler. I know it works as I’ve done it manually. But its a pain in the arse to manually adjust the registers on a regular basis. :slight_smile:

[quote=“BOFH, post:8, topic:187123”]I have to check my registers to see if they are a supported size. If so, I’d be in for 4 if we hit $55 as well.

This may give me the ability to more fine tune cooling in my living area and master bedroom by fully opening/ mostly closing appropriate registers depending of time of day. Since all rooms in question have PIR sensors with built-in temp sensors already installed it should be easy. Less air in the living room where the tstat is should give more air in the bedroom and make the A/C work a bit longer to achieve the desired temp in the living room. Causing the bedroom to receive more cold air and be cooler. I know it works as I’ve done it manually. But its a pain in the arse to manually adjust the registers on a regular basis. :)[/quote]

Very cool that your interested in this opportunity as well. I just had my friend over who is an AC guy and he too was very intrigued by these and was going to talk to some of his customers. I think we won’t have much of an issue getting to the $55 cost on these things. Let us know if your current vents match the available sizes.

I am very happy to see this thread doesn’t appear to be an effort in vain and we can collectively take advantage of this great offer.

Kudos for doing this! I am absolutely in and will be ordering several. I will be measuring my vents tonight (or tomorrow since I am away this weekend) and will update with the quantity I need. I will be ordering at least one for each room and possibly more. Thanks!!

Subscribed. I’ll probably be in for a few

Sounds like we should definitely have enough to get to the $55 price point. It would be great to get a count from you guys so I know who wants what as far as sizes and qty goes. I am going to get my measurements and count tonight. Those that are serious, please post what you are looking to purchase so I can get this going for us. Once we have some definite numbers, I will circle back with the manufacturer and setup a point of contact so we can place our orders.

I just removed and measured my vents. I have few odd ball sized vents that they don’t have which is just fine because I can’t close all my vents anyway. The most important ones are available so that is good.

I will need the following for a total of 5 vents.

Qty 4 EVR100-6X10BR
6" x 10"

Qty 1 EVR100-6X10WH
6" x 12"

Please post your needs and I will coordinate this with Econet so you can place your order as soon as we have a decent count.

Unfortunately my vent sizes are not available in white or at all (6x14 and 6x10) so I’m out unfortunately. The 6x14 are the crucial ones and they are not a supported size. Pity

I completely understand. I hear you on the 6x14’s… I could have used one or two of those myself. As for the 6x10’s, they are going to supply the ones I or we need in white with a white Z-Wave control modules which just snap in. I will paint the register myself. The registers are metal and the the vent assembly in the rear can be easily removed so a can of Krylon will fix the color just fine. I’m pretty good with paint when I take my time and the vents are a 5 minute job and will come out perfect. As such, I have no issues addressing the brown vents if they will solve my heating and cooling issues.

I would have had no problem painting but with no 6x14 vents I can’t adjust my living room and kitchen area vents to push more air to my master bed room’s 6x10 vent. Which is the idea. :frowning: I’m somewhat surprised they don’t carry 6x14 as it’s not that unusual a size. Especially in older homes.

I’m in a similar boat although it’s not a deal breaker for me. With my master bedroom 6x12 vent, I might just add a 24v damper with an AC Power source inline on that duct and add a Z-Wave outlet in my attic that I can turn on or off to open or close the damper with the same scene that I use for my vents. I already have power in the attic so a Z-Wave outlet to control a damper would be a simple solution if I decide that having that vent open all the time causes an issue with my end goal. Fortunately the dampers are cheap enough and that particular duct line is isolated/dedicated and very easily accessed. As such, it would be a very easy DIY solution for me. My only concern about the damper is that I have read that some of them heat up when power is applied to keep them open or closed. That is something I will have to do some more research on to determine the best damper should I need to go that route.

Like you, I was a bit surprised that the 6x12’s aren’t available but knowing that the demand for Z-Wave or automated vents isn’t as big as one might think, it’s kind of difficult for a small company to cover every vent size. Something I completely understand as I run a small company myself. Albeit a completely different industry. Fortunately for me, there is more than one way to skin this cat.

I’m in a similar boat although it’s not a deal breaker for me. With my master bedroom 6x12 vent, I might just add a 24v damper with an AC Power source inline on that duct and add a Z-Wave outlet in my attic that I can turn on or off to open or close the damper with the same scene that I use for my vents. I already have power in the attic so a Z-Wave outlet to control a damper would be a simple solution if I decide that having that vent open all the time causes an issue with my end goal. Fortunately the dampers are cheap enough and that particular duct line is isolated/dedicated and very easily accessed. As such, it would be a very easy DIY solution for me. My only concern about the damper is that I have read that some of them heat up when power is applied to keep them open or closed. That is something I will have to do some more research on to determine the best damper should I need to go that route.

Like you, I was a bit surprised that the 6x12’s aren’t available but knowing that the demand for Z-Wave or automated vents isn’t as big as one might think, it’s kind of difficult for a small company to cover every vent size. Something I completely understand as I run a small company myself. Albeit a completely different industry. Fortunately for me, there is more than one way to skin this cat.[/quote]

If you get to far you might as well just setup a zoned system. I installed a 4 zone honeywell controller and damper for each bed room in the house.
The Dampers are made to be powered up when the zone is active. I use these, but in different sizes.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-ARD10-10-Round-Automatic-Damper-11619000-p?gclid=CjwKEAjw96aqBRDNhM6MtJfE-wYSJADiMfggE1M58XUFoxQ2vFx7rm2pwIuvyfzIJDDGwUS5C-hLFhoCGBjw_wcB

Never hear about them getting hot and they were designed for this use.

Like you, I was a bit surprised that the 6x12’s aren’t available but knowing that the demand for Z-Wave or automated vents isn’t as big as one might think, it’s kind of difficult for a small company to cover every vent size. Something I completely understand as I run a small company myself. Albeit a completely different industry. Fortunately for me, there is more than one way to skin this cat.[/quote]

If you get to far you might as well just setup a zoned system. I installed a 4 zone honeywell controller and damper for each bed room in the house.
The Dampers are made to be powered up when the zone is active. I use these, but in different sizes.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-ARD10-10-Round-Automatic-Damper-11619000-p?gclid=CjwKEAjw96aqBRDNhM6MtJfE-wYSJADiMfggE1M58XUFoxQ2vFx7rm2pwIuvyfzIJDDGwUS5C-hLFhoCGBjw_wcB

Never hear about them getting hot and they were designed for this use.[/quote]

I looked at going that route but will all the lines, duct sizes and the mess of ducts I have, it got really expensive in a hurry. The current route with the Econet vents and even a additional damper should I need it will be a fraction of the cost. Heck, the whole setup will cost me less than $600 with the 5 or 6 vents, an additional 24v damper, z-wave switch and a barometric bypass damper. With the route I am going, I can use my Ecobee3 thermostat and take advantage of the additional temp senors that I got with my Ecobee once the updated Ecobee/Vera plugin is released. Going the full multi zone setup with dedicated dampers runs into the thousands when it’s all said and done.

These Econet vents add a level of simplicity that a traditional damper based zoned system doesn’t and does so at a fraction of the cost. All while being able to control it via our Vera’s using scenes and our existing thermostats.

I’m 4x10. I need these in both white and brown/wood. surprised they come in that size, but only white, where all others come in brown as well?

there are apparently Decorative home automation floor, wall and ceiling registers/vents, Avialable March 2015 :slight_smile:

Any news on these?

THANKS