Ecobee as trigger

I am trying to use one of the remote sensors on an Ecobee to be a trigger for an outlet. Basically if my basement gets near freezing, turn on a heater so the pipes don’t freeze.

I have the Ecobee plugin working with my Veraedge. The temperatures for each remote sensor show up, and get updated as the temps change.

When using one as a trigger, the Scene never executes. Having read several hundred posts (many old), it seems like the Ecobee plugin just does not work as a triggering object. I also note that Vera’s Compatibility page for Thermostats does not list Ecobee.

Question 1) Am I missing something obvious, and is there a neat trick that makes an Ecobee sensor work as a trigger?

Question 2) If not, what do people recommend as a simple thermostat-only sensor that can be used as a trigger? I would prefer something 120V, so it is one less battery that needs changing. I definitely want Z-wave, so I can control it remotely.

I am triggering scenes based on presence and temperature of the ecobee so I have no idea why it would not work for you… there is no trick. It just behaves like a security and temp sensor. What version are you running?

I think I am current for updates:

Vera 1.7.3797
Ecobee plugin 1.8
Ecobee 3 firmware 3.7.0.969

I redid the PIN handshake between Ecobee and Vera about two weeks ago, and it has maintained communications.

Perhaps I don’t understand something.

If a scene has triggered an event, say temp < 35˚F, then I manually (within Vera) turn off the heater, will the scene retrigger the the heater to start if the temp stays below 35˚? Is the retrigger on 5 minute cycle, 24 hour cycle, or never?

If the temperature rises above 35˚, will the heater turn off? I assume not, and have to create another scene that says if temp >40˚ turn off the heater?

Thank you for your time.

[quote=“krementz, post:3, topic:199149”]I think I am current for updates:

Vera 1.7.3797
Ecobee plugin 1.8
Ecobee 3 firmware 3.7.0.969[/quote]

Ok it is the latest version on the mios AppStore.

[quote=“krementz, post:3, topic:199149”]Perhaps I don’t understand something.

If a scene has triggered an event, say temp < 35˚F, then I manually (within Vera) turn off the heater, will the scene retrigger the the heater to start if the temp stays below 35˚? Is the retrigger on 5 minute cycle, 24 hour cycle, or never?

If the temperature rises above 35˚, will the heater turn off? I assume not, and have to create another scene that says if temp >40˚ turn off the heater?[/quote]

To your first question. I am not sure but I do not think it should. The trigger is an event and the event is that the temperature crossed the 35 degree line.

To the second question, indeed, it won?t turn off. You need another logic to trigger from an execute the shut off.