Easy ways to control temp on Android - widgets?

I’m looking for an easy way to control my thermostat on my Android phone (and tablets) - does anyone know of an app that features a thermostat widget for easily making changes/viewing status right from their home screen?

You need a thermostat that is either WiFi or zwave enabled, like a Nest, Ecobee or other. Most of those will have phone apps that you can use right away. If you want to integrate it with Vera, you’ll need a compatible plugin for that model.

LOTS of discussion in this forum on the types of devices folks are using.

[quote=“tomgru, post:2, topic:186024”]You need a thermostat that is either WiFi or zwave enabled, like a Nest, Ecobee or other. Most of those will have phone apps that you can use right away. If you want to integrate it with Vera, you’ll need a compatible plugin for that model.

LOTS of discussion in this forum on the types of devices folks are using.[/quote]

I have a Honeywell Z-wave thermostat - there is no and no plugin because it is a z-wave thermostat.

[quote=“tp546, post:3, topic:186024”][quote=“tomgru, post:2, topic:186024”]You need a thermostat that is either WiFi or zwave enabled, like a Nest, Ecobee or other. Most of those will have phone apps that you can use right away. If you want to integrate it with Vera, you’ll need a compatible plugin for that model.

LOTS of discussion in this forum on the types of devices folks are using.[/quote]

I have a Honeywell Z-wave thermostat - there is no and no plugin because it is a z-wave thermostat.[/quote]

It should be controlled by the Vera UI… does that work on the dashboard?

If so, you can try an app on android like ImperiHome. That should work for you.

[quote=“tomgru, post:4, topic:186024”][quote=“tp546, post:3, topic:186024”][quote=“tomgru, post:2, topic:186024”]You need a thermostat that is either WiFi or zwave enabled, like a Nest, Ecobee or other. Most of those will have phone apps that you can use right away. If you want to integrate it with Vera, you’ll need a compatible plugin for that model.

I have a Honeywell Z-wave thermostat - there is no and no plugin because it is a z-wave thermostat.[/quote]

It should be controlled by the Vera UI… does that work on the dashboard?

If so, you can try an app on android like ImperiHome. That should work for you.[/quote]

Yes it does, but I am looking for a widget and Imperihome doesn’t offer a thermostat widget, nor do any other apps I have tried, which led me to post this.

AutHomation does have widgets, but I just tried to create one and I can’t seem to make them work right - doesn’t give me an option to pick the device.

You might post in that forum…

[quote=“wilme2, post:6, topic:186024”]AutHomation does have widgets, but I just tried to create one and I can’t seem to make them work right - doesn’t give me an option to pick the device.

You might post in that forum…[/quote]

You can only create a widget that sets the heat/cool point to a specific number with Authomation. I am looking for something dynamic.

I have it working fine in Imperihome with my Ecobee. see attached. Maybe i’m missing something?

I have it working fine in Imperihome with my Ecobee. see attached. Maybe i’m missing something?[/quote]

That is not a widget - that is the dashboard inside the app. I am looking for a widget I can place on my home screen.

I have it working fine in Imperihome with my Ecobee. see attached. Maybe i’m missing something?[/quote]

Ahhhhhh. ;D

That is not a widget - that is the dashboard inside the app. I am looking for a widget I can place on my home screen.[/quote]

If you use Tasker on your phone, check out AutoVera:

Right now, using Zooper Widget & AutoVera, I made a widget that shows the current temp & the set temp of my thermostat. When I click on the widget, it brings me to a Tasker Scene where I have 5 set point buttons so I can change the temp on the thermostat.

I think you’ll need two widgets, one for “warmer” and one for “cooler”. Each is tied to a scene with luup code adjusts the temp up or down. You can then set up various widget buttons to trigger those scenes. AutomationHD could trigger that.

Here’s some quick luup code that should do the temp up portion by 3 degrees, assuming your thermostat is device 19.

[hr]
local current_temp =luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”, “CurrentTemperature”, 19)
local new_temp_set= current_temp + 3
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat”,
“SetCurrentSetpoint”, {NewCurrentSetpoint = local new_temp_set},
19)
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool”,
19)

I think you’ll need two widgets, one for “warmer” and one for “cooler”. Each is tied to a scene with luup code adjusts the temp up or down. You can then set up various widget buttons to trigger those scenes. AutomationHD could trigger that.

Here’s some quick luup code that should do the temp up portion by 3 degrees, assuming your thermostat is device 19.

[hr]
local current_temp =luup.variable_get(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1”, “CurrentTemperature”, 19)
local new_temp_set= current_temp + 3
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat”,
19)
luup.call_action(“urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool”,
19)[/quote]

Thanks, I really appreciate the help you offered but I’m looking for more of an app-supported widget that gives me a visual display of what my system’s status is.

call me weird, but IMO the measured temperature is irrelevant. (Could be because none of my thermometers agree.) If you feel cold, turn up the heat. If you feel hot, turn down the heat. With the exception of trying to push your electric bills down, you shouldn’t watch the temps, put on a sweater and just crank it down until you think it’s cold, then nudge it back up.

Hi there,
I have been using this app called Total Comfort that lets me completely control the HVAC system of my home. It lets me monitor the heating and cooling systems and handle the thermostat from anywhere on the earth! You can take a look at it and try it out!

[quote=“ashleylarson, post:15, topic:186024”]Hi there,
I have been using this app called Total Comfort that lets me completely control the HVAC system of my home. It lets me monitor the heating and cooling systems and handle the thermostat from anywhere on the earth! You can take a look at it and try it out![/quote]

Hi Ashley - please read my question - this doesn’t answer it.