Duplex Outlet with Both Controlled

I have several duplex outlets outdoors and I’d like to be able to switch them on/off. The duplex outlets i’ve found so far only have one outlet controlled the other is on all the time. Does anyone know of a ZWave controlled duplex outlet with BOTH outlets controlled? As it looks right now I may have to resort to a AEON switch and standard outlet.

I looked several months ago, and for some reason I could not find one rated for outdoor use either.

Just be careful with the Aeon microswitches as they are only rated for 10 Amps where your outlet and circuit breaker are likely to be 15 or 20 amps. I use them on my front porch for some outlets I installed in the eaves, but I only use LED xmas lights in them.

Just be careful with the Aeon microswitches as they are only rated for 10 Amps where your outlet and circuit breaker are likely to be 15 or 20 amps. I use them on my front porch for some outlets I installed in the eaves, but I only use LED xmas lights in them.[/quote]

Yes, that’s what’s holding me back. I have one location for a new outlet that I can use a GE/Jasco inside the garage to switch the whole outlet circuit but the rest of them are already in boxes in the stucco and wired direct back to the breaker panel

There are, as yet, no Z-Wave duplex receptacles with both outlets switched.

If you can utilize a wall switch to switch a standard receptacle, then a switch like the 15Amp GE12722 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control On/Off Switch will give you what you want.

Covers such as this Taymac MM410C Weatherproof Single Outlet Cover Outdoor Receptacle Protector will allow you to use your regular Z-Wave receptacle outdoors.

Of course, there is always the single outlet GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Outdoor Module

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:5, topic:187405”]There are, as yet, no Z-Wave duplex receptacles with both outlets switched.

If you can utilize a wall switch to switch a standard receptacle, then a switch like the 15Amp GE12722 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control On/Off Switch will give you what you want.

Covers such as this Taymac MM410C Weatherproof Single Outlet Cover Outdoor Receptacle Protector will allow you to use your regular Z-Wave receptacle outdoors.

Of course, there is always the single outlet GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Outdoor Module[/quote]

thanks, i searched every source I could think of, Zwave alliance, et al, and couldn’t find anything but I thought i’d ask. I have one new convenience outlet i’m thinking of installing along the front walk and if I do I will tap an existing box in the garage and bring out a new feed controlled by a GE/Jasco on/off switch. But the others are all existing outlets in boxes buried in concrete block so they are what they are; they all feed back to GFCIs on the mains panel so there isn’t much opportunity for a switched solution.

Although I doubt it would actually occur, given the current limit on the AEON switch for safety sake I could end up putting a new outdoor surface box over the existing one and housing the AEON and using it to switch a power relay capable of handling 20A or so. Or maybe an Arduino instead of the AEON.

(Something that might make an interesting ZWave product, a ZWave-controlled breaker — but I can see all sorts of potential problems with that ::slight_smile: )

Aeotec has that new smart switch that is like a 2 inch adapter that you plug into the outlet and allows for one to be in each receptacle, and is rated for 15amp. You would have to switch to the clear plastic dome covers for your outlets to accomodate the extra two inches though).

Enerwave has a dual relay which can be placed inside an electrical box. You could use a standard outlet and split the hot side to get independently controlled outlets. Keep in mind: every outdoor outlet must be GFCI protected and the “large clear covers” also known as “in use covers” are also a NEC requirement now. Also as a matter of full disclosure - the Enerwave device is not UL rated… So maybe the AEON option is better. I would just wish that AEON would make a 2 relay device (or even more).

There is also a Monoprice dual relay for ZWave…

The Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 dual relay also has a maximum load of 10 amps for each load. It would only be a marginally better solution than the Aeon relay. The lack of UL certification also costs the Enerwave points, in my opinion.

Am i able to use the Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 as toggle switch to control a 2 way actuator valve?
The valve has 3 wires, 1 neutral and 2 Load. 1 Load with open it and the other Load will close it.

I would appreciate any instructions.
Also would it appear as 2 switches in the zwave controler app?

thanks!

It’s hard to say for sure without knowing more about the valve. But, based on this description, the ZWN-RSM2 should be able to control the valve.