DSC Wireless Alarm System Integration to Vera - 2/2013

Hello all,

I’ve spent the last few days and countless hours reading through all the forum topics, security system websites, etc. There’s a lot of old stuff going back several years and much of it is no longer valid. I thought I’d try and lay out some of the latest information I was able to get my hands on, and hopefully, this will be a starting point for others that have had the same types of questions as I’ve had.

My goal is to integrate a wireless security system with Vera. By wireless, I mean no requirement to hardwire any sensors or keypads to the alarm system. The only wires would be the wires from the power transformer to the alarm panel, the cat 5/6 cable from the router to the alarm panel and the wire from the wireless transceiver to the alarm panel. In other words, the only wiring would be the wires within 2-3 feet of the alarm panel itself. No wires through walls or floors to connect any keypads or sensors. Here’s what I came up with and I think it will work. I certainly have no expertise at this point compared to many/most of you on this forum, so if there’s anything I’m saying that’s incorrect or could use additional clarification, please chime in.

My proposed system:

(1) DSC Power Series PC1832 Alarm Panel with power transformer and backup battery (wire transformer to alarm panel)
(1) DSC TR5164-433 PowerSeries 2-Way Wireless Transceiver Module (put module right next to alarm panel for wiring)
(2) DSC-WT5500 2-Way Wireless Keypad
(1) EVL-3 - Envisalink Internet Alert Module (mounts in alarm panel) - cat 5/6 cable from this module to the router
multiple wireless motion sensors, sirens and door/window switches

As I understand it, if I add the DSC Plugin to my Vera system (currently a Vera 2 w/ UI5) the Vera will be able to communicate with the DSC alarm panel via the connection from the router to the EVL-3 module. I should be able to send signals to arm/disarm the DSC system from Vera as well as receive the status of the DSC alarm sensors and the current state of the alarm (armed/disarmed/Breached, etc).

I’ve never installed an alarm system before but I think I have enough sense and knowledge to figure it out. I do have one question though. I assume that I would have to buy a wired keypad (DSC PK5501ENG possibly) to connect to the keybus to initially program the system, correct? Also, is there anything else that I might be missing here? Like I said, I’m new to alarm systems and there are a ton of systems and options to look at.

My current Z-Wave system is a Vera 2/UI5, a Kwikset door lock, Trane thermostat, several GE light switches/receptacles, energy switches, outdoor modules, etc. I also have 3 Foscam IP cameras installed using the Foscam plugin and everything is working fine right now. I use the Automator.app on my iPhone and it controls all of the devices without a problem. It’s a great remote app if you’re looking for one.

I guess that’s about it. I hope that some of you will find this information useful and the experts on this forum can answer my question or correct/expand on anything I’ve said. Thanks.

A battery-backup (UPS) system for the Networking components (Vera, DSL/Cable Modem, Switches, Router) so that if power it lost, it can still report out correctly.

I’ve not tried the “completely” wireless stuff, but I suspect you’d be right in needing a [wired] Keypad to ease setup. It would be worth checking on the details of the TR5164 unit to see how they recommend it be setup (since it’s new to all of us).

Yep, I’ve got a UPS on the router, Vera, cable modem, etc. I just found a copy of the installation instructions for the TR5164-433 transceiver and you do need a wired keypad to initially set things up. The instructions look relatively straightforward. Here’s how they instruct you to enroll the wireless keypads:

3.1 Enroll the Wireless Keypad On The TR5164
During initial power-up of the alarm panel, a 2-minute window is established for enrolling the wireless keypad (indicated by flashing red and green LEDs). If the enrollment window expires, power down the panel then power it up again. By default, WT5500 keypads are automatically assigned to slot numbers 8, 7, 6, 5.
To enroll a keypad:

1. Power up the alarm system.
  2. Power up the keypad. After a few seconds, ?Hold [1] and [“*”] to Enroll Keypad? is displayed.
  3. Press the [1] and [“*”] keys together to enroll. ?WFKP Enrollment Successful? is displayed.

Looks like this might be my new system. Does anyone out there have one of these babies installed and can shed some light on the good/bad?

You can likely bypass the initial setup with a wired keypad by using the DLS software from a PC

I’ll be watching to see how you come out with this.
I’m planning similar although I want wired motions to avoid the 6 sec. delay with the wireless version.

Given the description on the TR5164, do make sure the control board you buy has (at least) v4.6 of the firmware. (I haven’t seen the 1864’s with it yet.) The FW version is important, but not always stated.

Yeah, I saw the version 4.6 requirement. When I finally buy the panel and transceiver, I’ll buy them at the same time and make sure the vendor confirms that for me. Thanks.

Yeah, I read about that but I’m a MAC-only household. I suppose I could run bootcamp or VMWare but that seems like a lot of futzing around. I’m hoping the wired keypad route will be a simpler programming experience. Has anyone that has done both have any pros/cons on which would be easier for someone with zero installs under their belt? Thanks.

[quote=“danbutter, post:5, topic:174399”]I’ll be watching to see how you come out with this.
I’m planning similar although I want wired motions to avoid the 6 sec. delay with the wireless version.[/quote]

Being new to this, I’m not aware of the delay aspect of the wireless motion sensors. Is this pretty much standard for all of the wireless motion sensors? Also, I’m planning on using the Ion-brand door plungers and Micra window sensors. They’re nice and small and virtually hidden from view compared to the typical door/window sensors I see being sold. Does anyone know if they have the same length of delay as motion sensors or are they relatively quick to signal? Thanks.

The ion sensors are instant and are nice. I have them on all my doors. Only the wireless motion sensors have the six second delay to prevent false trips. It is the reason I moved to wired motion sensors where needed.

• Garrett

I just installed a DSC 1832 security system with the following components

1 - 1832 Panel
1 - RFK5500ENG
1 - Envisalink 3
3 - Wired DSC Dual Motion Detectors
1 - Wired Smoke Detector
2 - Wired Sirens
4 - ION Security Wireless Door Sensors
11 - WST-200 Wireless Slim Sensors

Installation with all the wired sensors/components and then installing all the wireless sensors took me the better part of a day. I also ran some more Cat-5e wiring through the attic for future POE security cameras, so that was some of that time also.

I spent a lot of time reading and then filling out the programming guide. I also spent a bunch of time making sure I understood the zone definitions. Make sure you read the installation guide.

After the installation it took about 2-3 hours to properly program and troubleshoot a couple problems I had. Some of the wireless sensors I am using for the windows were loosing contact. Turns out the connections on the inside that connect to the battery were a little loose. I bent the little arm back a little and they are all now working like a charm.

It also took me a little bit to figure out how to wire the End-of-line resistor for the smoke detector.

I also found these FAQ section of DIY Alarm Forum very informative.

They also have all of the DSC guides on the forum for download also.

I plan on purchasing a Vera in the future. I really only want to control a couple of lights and possibly a deadbolt. The envisalink 3 is working great.

I put a UPS on my network equipment and then the panel has a battery also. My power went out last Friday night and between the two the alarm system never lost power and I still had internet connection. Sweet!

Yeah, I saw the version 4.6 requirement. When I finally buy the panel and transceiver, I’ll buy them at the same time and make sure the vendor confirms that for me. Thanks.[/quote]

Again I’m pretty close to doing the same as you and found this note on 4.6:

DSC has released version 4.6 of the 1864 panel. The new updates in this version consist of:

64 Wireless Zones using the version 4.6 and the new RFK5564 keypad
Easy wireless device enrollment process (using ver 1.3 of the RFK5564 or the RFK5500)
Word library for programming zone labels (available with ver 1.3 of the RFK5564, RFK5500, or PK5500 and available in English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish)

The 64 zones of wireless capabilities will only be offered in a keypad version using the RFK5564 and not as a ?stand alone? receiver. The RFK5564 will not give you 64 wireless zones on a 1616 or 1832 (it can be used with these panels, but will only give you 32 wireless zones), it will only give you 64 wireless zones on a 1864 ver 4.6 panel. If you have an older panel, you cannot flash upgrade to the new 4.6.

So yeah you need to make sure the hardware is 4.6 since the older can’t be upgraded.
Thank God for forums like this to point these things out to us!!

[quote=“danbutter, post:12, topic:174399”]Again I’m pretty close to doing the same as you and found this note on 4.6:

DSC has released version 4.6 of the 1864 panel. The new updates in this version consist of:

Easy wireless device enrollment process (using ver 1.3 of the RFK5564 or the RFK5500)
Word library for programming zone labels (available with ver 1.3 of the RFK5564, RFK5500, or PK5500 and available in English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish)

The 64 zones of wireless capabilities will only be offered in a keypad version using the RFK5564 and not as a ?stand alone? receiver. The RFK5564 will not give you 64 wireless zones on a 1616 or 1832 (it can be used with these panels, but will only give you 32 wireless zones), it will only give you 64 wireless zones on a 1864 ver 4.6 panel. If you have an older panel, you cannot flash upgrade to the new 4.6.

So yeah you need to make sure the hardware is 4.6 since the older can’t be upgraded.
Thank God for forums like this to point these things out to us!![/quote]

I’m probably going to wait until about April before getting the equipment. Living up north, I don’t want to deal with the cold while trying to drill the holes for the door and window sensors. I’ll wait until it’s a little warmer. It’s a little hard getting definitive info on DSC from their website. Most of it is restricted to dealer/installers. The initial press release on the TR5164-433 Transceiver is over a year old, however, I never saw much about it until the last couple of months. I can’t find anything on when the v4.6 firmware became available for the Power Series alarm panels. Hopefully, the vendor I buy from has the straight scoop and can verify that the panel has the latest upgrade. I was looking at the Home Security Store as my vendor. Their prices and support capabilities look pretty good. Anyone out there that can recommend them or someone else? I don’t think I’ll need that much help, but in case I have a question or two, it’d be nice to know there’s someone to call on.

Gemini computers also have good prices, however I’ve bought a lot through home security store and I can’t imagine anyone can best them on support.

[quote=“aldera, post:13, topic:174399”][quote=“danbutter, post:12, topic:174399”]Again I’m pretty close to doing the same as you and found this note on 4.6:

Thank God for forums like this to point these things out to us!![/quote]

I’m probably going to wait until about April before getting the equipment. Living up north, I don’t want to deal with the cold while trying to drill the holes for the door and window sensors. I’ll wait until it’s a little warmer. It’s a little hard getting definitive info on DSC from their website. Most of it is restricted to dealer/installers. The initial press release on the TR5164-433 Transceiver is over a year old, however, I never saw much about it until the last couple of months. I can’t find anything on when the v4.6 firmware became available for the Power Series alarm panels. Hopefully, the vendor I buy from has the straight scoop and can verify that the panel has the latest upgrade. I was looking at the Home Security Store as my vendor. Their prices and support capabilities look pretty good. Anyone out there that can recommend them or someone else? I don’t think I’ll need that much help, but in case I have a question or two, it’d be nice to know there’s someone to call on.[/quote]

If you want any installer/dealer from the DSC site I am a installer and have access to that. Let me know if you need any info.

This thread is great. As a new user, I really appreciate someone rolling all the latest info into one place.

I’m looking for the exact same setup as the OP, except with the inclusion of professional monitoring via GSM (we don’t have POTS service). Does anything exist fitting these criteria?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, dumb question. Found the answer: GS2060 - DSC PowerSeries Wireless Cellular 2G Alarm Communicator (Powered by Connect24)

Have you looked at the EVL3 and IP monitoring service they provide. It is a professional monitoring service and there was another post today advising on how they found that service.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve been eyeing it and IP monitoring sounds awesome, but we’re more comfortable with a system which offers GSM as a backup option (just in case).

Luckily, I found a GSM module on ebay for a really good price which doesn’t break the bank, so we’ll try that route and see how it goes.

Ok. Also, the EVL3 is the interface module to connect the DSC panel and your Vera utilising the plugin. So in doing what you are planning it would provide real redundancy and reporting reliability.