Door control for Thermostat

This may be covered elsewhere but alas I was not able to locate it.

Is there a way to use door sensors to turn the thermostat on and off. I would like to turn the thermostat off if a door sensor indicates an opne door for some length of time (say 5 minutes), and once closed turn the thermostat back on to its original setting.

I have a Wayne Dalton WDTC-20 thermostat and Aeon Labs door sensors.

@Minnies,

What you want to do should be possible.
You can compare it to the code used with a virtual switch (statedevice) and holidaysettings check the threads of these two topics for the code.

What you do is create a scene that checks the status of one device (or trigger by state) and then set the thermostat to a specifick state

[quote=“Minnies, post:1, topic:168607”]This may be covered elsewhere but alas I was not able to locate it.

Is there a way to use door sensors to turn the thermostat on and off. I would like to turn the thermostat off if a door sensor indicates an opne door for some length of time (say 5 minutes), and once closed turn the thermostat back on to its original setting.

I have a Wayne Dalton WDTC-20 thermostat and Aeon Labs door sensors.[/quote]

For the ‘door open’ part you’re probably going to need some code to get the delay in there. Check this out, the second example. In the scene created per the example, you would pick whatever you want the thermostat to do in the Commands tab of the scene.

For the ‘door closed’ part you can probably create a scene without any code, with the appropriate sensor event and thermostat command.

I guess it can get tricky, depending on what your requirement is for ‘return to original setting’ / what the capabilities are of your thermostat. Switching between ‘energy save mode’ (if there is one) and back to normal may work.

Here is link that discussed the topic:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4327.0

Thanks! That is perfect. No idea why I could not find it when searching.