Do these work well? Aeotec Micro On/Off Switch model DSC26103-ZWUS

These are on ebay for $30

anyone have experience to report?

I’m considering getting a few for ceiling fans.

would they still work w/o the switch lead plugged in?

explain use case?

explain use case?[/quote]

Like mounted in a wall sconce or an electric outlet where you could turn on off the load with Vera and otherwise didn’t have a switch controlling it?

That would be my guess anyway.

Absolutely. The switch is optional. I’ve got the energy monitoring editions of these bad boys in some of my receptacle boxes throughout my house. Good stuff.

explain use case?[/quote]

Like mounted in a wall sconce or an electric outlet where you could turn on off the load with Vera and otherwise didn’t have a switch controlling it?

That would be my guess anyway.[/quote]

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Yea… I’m thinking of quite a few use cases now that I think about it… Put these in recepticals where you might want to quickly ‘reboot’ stuff like cable modems or wifi routers… Cable boxes that get locked up etc. also lots of outdoor things like pond pumps, fountains low voltage lighting, outdoor speaker amps etc etc that might otherwise get serviced by a outlet with a timer.

Also the energy reporting is a super nice bonus.

I just ordered a bunch of these off of the ebay thread (although I wish they were the power monitoring version) and they work great.

I’ve used them to retrofit ceiling fans with control as well as to wire up some fluorescent lighting which did not have neutral wiring at the switch (I installed these in the fixture instead and kept the existing rocker switch).

Does anyone have pictures of what these look like installed? I see this product for sale frequently and, despite Googling for images and instruction manuals, I cannot figure out how this switch interacts physically.

I love the Aeon Labs products that I own, but I wish they would put more information on their websites about their products. Too much flash, too little info.

It fits behind most switches & receptacles in a single gang box. Lots of terminals.

Basics are:

Line in HOT
Line in NEU
Load HOT
Load Neu
Switch lead 1
Switch lead 2
3volt out dc

So basically after connecting your line and loads, you connect a basic on off switch to the leads 1 & 2, and that tells the micro switch to turn the load on or off depending on the state of the load (if its currently on or not). Really neat product.

Thanks

Are the online instructions not sufficient?

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-in-wall-switches/848-micro-ses-2e-manual-instructions.html

[quote=“maj34, post:8, topic:175418”]Does anyone have pictures of what these look like installed? I see this product for sale frequently and, despite Googling for images and instruction manuals, I cannot figure out how this switch interacts physically.

I love the Aeon Labs products that I own, but I wish they would put more information on their websites about their products. Too much flash, too little info.[/quote]

check this out http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=605

also there’s another useful thread on these devices: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,5455.msg106447.html#msg106447

the ones that are selling on eBay for $30 don’t report energy.

Are the online instructions not sufficient?

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-in-wall-switches/848-micro-ses-2e-manual-instructions.html[/quote]

That’s actually quite sufficient - thanks. I had been to their website a number of times but hadn’t clicked the support tab. It’s unfortunate that they don’t link to support from the main product page.

What isn’t sufficient is that a Google search for Aeotec’s products do not lead me to their website.

Really a Google search for:

• “DSC26103-ZWUS installation”
  • “DSC26103-ZWUS setup” yields nothing. Perhaps they need to spend less time building pretty websites and more time on SEO.

Their website is very pretty but, in my opinion, they’re focusing too much on marketing and buzz phrases. Techies are ultimately their customer.

[quote=“waxhell, post:7, topic:175418”]I just ordered a bunch of these off of the ebay thread (although I wish they were the power monitoring version) and they work great.

I’ve used them to retrofit ceiling fans with control as well as to wire up some fluorescent lighting which did not have neutral wiring at the switch (I installed these in the fixture instead and kept the existing rocker switch).[/quote]

the 30 day warranty worries me

From the thread above, I see:

1 - reporting energy usage
2 - can use for no-switch electrical devices, e.g. overhead fans where there is no wall switch, only say a pull chain

What other use cases/benefits are there over and above a regular z-wave receptacle?

Thanks

These switches that are found on ebay for 30 bucks are NOT energy reporting… When I made the comment that ’ energy reporting is nice ’ it was to Tony G’s comment I’ve quoted below…

So again… The switches Tony got ( from another source) WERE energy reporting but the ones fond n ebay for 30 are NOT.

[quote=“bobk, post:15, topic:175418”]From the thread above, I see:

1 - reporting energy usage
2 - can use for no-switch electrical devices, e.g. overhead fans where there is no wall switch, only say a pull chain

What other use cases/benefits are there over and above a regular z-wave receptacle?

Thanks[/quote]

These also retrofit into existing wiring really well – you can use normal rocker switches to control a z-wave enabled device, especially if there is no neutral at the switch itself. I have used it to retrofit fluorescent lighting by installing one of these at the fixture (because neutral is present up there, while I had no neutral present at the switch itself). For the most part, my setup consists of a lot of in-line non-neutral requiring dimmer switches (because LED lighting works pretty well with dimmer switches), a few relay switches, and a few of these Aeotech switches on ceiling fans / fluorescent lighting.

I have also comboed some of the aeotech switches with levitron scene controllers to give me remote switching of fans and other lighting where switches may not be present.

Has anyone had any problems securing solid core cabling in the screw terminals? Some of the reviews I’ve found indicate that these are better suited for stranded wire, and that solid core may not properly secure in the screw terminal. I don’t want to buy any of these if they are going to be a potential fire hazard.

Sorry to revitalize an old topic, but we are building a new home, and my wife has said she “hates” decora switches so is this the go-to method for Zwave control of old-style toggle switches?

I noticed a few people mentioning these micro switches and that they were on e-bay but NOT the energy reporting ones. We sell them on our site at www.Shop.HaWorldOnline and they are the energy ones, but we only have the dimmers left, the relays sold out today. Oh these are the model DSC19103-ZWUS. The relays are DSC18103 but are only available as a backorder.

Maybe some of you will be interested in the touch panels we just got in for these this week. They replace any wall plate and the micro switches simply snap onto the back of them. All you see is a little touch button surrounded by a nice “glass” (actually plastic) or opaque wallplate. They look pretty cool for a real touchpad, modern look! We don’t have them up on the site yet but have a few in stock for testing and marketing so will have them up soon!