DLNA / UPnP issues on port 49451

I have had my Vera Edge hanging every few days for last 6 months. I have been going back and forth with support and now I have a hub working I have verbose logging enabled on my USB

I was initially told it was DLNA on some device, which I guessed was my Plex server running on the NAS as there are lots of issues on here about that. I turned off DLNA on that and it was ok for a few days.

Except its now way worse, and hanging several times a day. Sometimes it comes back by itself a few hours later which it never did before, but often not. Sometimes I cant access the GUI, but Alt UI works as does SSH into the box.

They have now tracked it down to 3 IPs. My Harmony hub, my Sonos and my laptop. My laptop is off 90% of the times it happens and I dont have anything media related running on that. As for Sonos and Harmony, I know a lot of others use those devices, andn the plugins, on the same network as the vera so I dont see why I should have to move them to a different subnet per support’s advice.

Any one else come across similar issues? I see some comments going back 3 years on this and I dont think its good enough that Vera havent built in some controls if they really are getting flooded by messages from these devices. Somehow given how reliable Vera is, and how buggy their software is, I think the problem is with them rather than Sonos or Logitech’s implementation of DLNA or UPnP.

Just a thought. Maybe the memory is going bad on the Edge?

I have similar but not the exact issue. My issue is my Vera Plus keeps rebooting every 10 minutes or so, making it impossible to run scenes that may require states (like turn off fan after 15 mins). I reached out to tech support and their response was 49451 port getting flooded and points back to my DLNA / UPnP devices.

In my case, tech support gave me 2 “suspect” IP address, which boiled down to:

1. An Amazon FireTV stick running Kodi (but supposed I have DLNA disabled on Kodi, perhaps I didn’t disable it correctly)
  2. A generic Android tablet “primarily” running Imperihome (and other default Android apps). (Again, I don’t think I have DLNA enabled on my tablet)

The recommendation is for me to shut down these 2 devices, which I cannot do. So I gave up and just let Vera reboot every 10 minutes… (My Vera Plus never hangs though, so that’s the difference. It just reboots.)

I appreciate if anyone has any tips on this topics.

Yes they said Plex/Kodi initially, so I removed DLNA from my Plex server and that now no longer shows as a culprit. No idea why the other devices are still causing problems.

I am through though with Vera. Just bought an old Mac Mini and now testing Indigo.

About the same story here:

Vera Edge stops controlling once or more per week. I usually solve it by cycling power.
This what tech support comes up with:

…the issue seems to be related to your other devices in the network that are sending requests to Vera using the port that Vera uses for UPnP discovery.
The engine of the unit is kept busy due to the high load of requests through the same port ?49451?.
To avoid these kind of issues we normally suggest our clients to move those devices, in a different subnet.
The devices that affect the unit are the ones that have the IP Addresses like it follows:
192.168.1.xxx → Seems to be a Raspberry Pi,
192.168.1.yyy → Seems to be a smart book or something related…

It is nice to know what causes the problem, but I have no clue what to do…
The RPi is my Kodi box, and I use it frequently, the other device is an Acer pad that I use to run Imperihome to control my domotica stuff.

It leaves me with a lot of questions:
Subnet ? I googled of course, but cannot find any practical leads on how to go from here.
Can I just put Vera Edge on another subnet ? And how should I do that ? And will the issue be solved ? Do I introduce other problems on my LAN ?
Why are there Kodi plugins available as apparently Kodi can cause conflicts ? Etc…

Everytime I think the stuff is running stable, another issue pops up again.
Making my Vera Edge only suitable for simple non critical domotica applications, such as lights on/off and curtains open/close.
In several occasions I had to contact family during my holiday to reset the Vera controller because lights stayed on for days and curtains didn’t open…

You may want to invest in a wi-fi controlled power switch, so you can reboot when away. Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Orvibo-Socket-Electronics-Anywhere-HomeMate-S25/dp/B00KT50HK4.

[quote=“mtx123, post:5, topic:196448”]…the issue seems to be related to your other devices in the network that are sending requests to Vera using the port that Vera uses for UPnP discovery.
The engine of the unit is kept busy due to the high load of requests through the same port ?49451?.
To avoid these kind of issues we normally suggest our clients to move those devices, in a different subnet.
The devices that affect the unit are the ones that have the IP Addresses like it follows:
192.168.1.xxx → Seems to be a Raspberry Pi,
192.168.1.yyy → Seems to be a smart book or something related…
[/quote]

It’s lame that Vera can’t or won’t fix Vera’s problem, but at least the tech was able to pinpoint the issue.

I’d suggest that you first of all determine with certainty which device is causing the problem. Unplug your Pi and see if the problem returns. If it does, then plug the Pi back in and unplug the SmartBook.

When you have determined precisely which device is causing your issue, then you’ll need to mitigate the problem. Things that you can do include:

[ul][li]Move the device to a different IP network(subnet). This appears to be beyond your capability.[/li]
[li]Turn off, or have Support turn off discovery on Vera.[/li]
[li]Have Support add a firewall rule to deny any traffic from the problem device.(this will probably not be a permanent fix.) I believe that selecting the “Secure my Vera” option turns on a firewall that blocks ALL local traffic. If that is correct, it would work to solve your issue as well.[/li][/ul]

@Z-waver: thanks for the hints.

I am willing to move the Vera Edge to another subnet, and I am also willing to figure out in detail how that should be done. I’m sure if I focus on that job, I will succeed someday :slight_smile:
But that will not be the end of the story:
I have 4 Hikvision cameras on my LAN, that are also used by Vera for displaying and for sending snapshots by Vera Alerts.
These cameras are connected to a Synology NAS where the surveillance software runs for recording purposes.
That NAS is also used for streaming music and movies to my RPi Kodi box.
I think that all these devices need to be on the same subnet to be able to communicate via LAN

So which devices should I move to another subnet ? Feels like a deadlock situation…

And I still don’t understand why I am having this problem, while many users have a Kodi box in their network and also 1 or more tablets with Imperihome or alike. They don’t have these uPnP issues then ?

Devices can communicate across subnets. But, this requires routing configuration that most home routers don’t provide or expose by default. To do it with home routers, people usually have to run alternative router firmwares. The subject can get very complex and is far too deep of a rabbit hole for me to consider sending someone down that doesn’t already fully understand what subnets are and how to use them.

I would recommend that you instead first try turning off UPnP discovery in Vera. If that doesn’t work, try “Secure my Vera” and if you still have issues after that, make Vera support do the work.

I am not sure what you mean by turning off uPnP discovery in Vera. What I found is: Settings-> Net & WiFi > Auto Detect
And I disabled that, let’s see what it brings.

“Secure my Vera” is not really an option, as I read that enabling this option causes Vera to be unreachable within the LAN.
OK for troubelshooting, but it can never be a solution for me.

I will contact support once more.

[quote=“mtx123, post:10, topic:196448”]I am not sure what you mean by turning off uPnP discovery in Vera. What I found is: Settings-> Net & WiFi > Auto Detect
And I disabled that, let’s see what it brings.

“Secure my Vera” is not really an option, as I read that enabling this option causes Vera to be unreachable within the LAN.
OK for troubelshooting, but it can never be a solution for me.

I will contact support once more.[/quote]

I have that disabled on my Vera 3.

just wrote to customer service:

“My questions is: can you help me to block inside Vera the uPnP requests (e.g. by software patch) ?
I think uPnP is a widely accepted protocol, but Vera seems not capable in handling it very well.”

I am not really convinced that uPnP is the real rootcause, I did not change anything and everything works stable for several days now…
And many people have uPnP stuff in their LAN, and seems t work fine, why would I be an exception ?

We’ll see…

[quote=“mtx123, post:10, topic:196448”]What I found is: Settings-> Net & WiFi > Auto Detect
And I disabled that, let’s see what it brings.[/quote]
This is the setting I was referring to. Although, I thought that there was an additional one, but I don’t see it myself, after a cursory look.

This contradicts what you said two days ago.

And many people have uPnP stuff in their LAN, and seems t work fine, why would I be an exception ?
Many people have had issues that seemed to be to do with UPnP discovery. Many people have no issue, that they are aware of. There are a lot of different configurations and combinations of equipment out there. It's entirely possible that you're amongst those unlucky ones having an issue.

[quote=“Z-Waver, post:13, topic:196448”]…
This contradicts what you said two days ago.
…[/quote]
You are absolutely right :-[ I am talking nonsense here…
thnx for pointing that to me.
New info: last night, after watching Kodi for quite some time, the system became very slow responsive when I tried to switch off devices.
That indeed points to a relation with Kodi, and probably uPnP.

Now something comes to mind: I have aa ASUS router with an extra WiFi net for guests, would that mean I have my second subnet there ?
In that case I could easily experiment with moving Kodi to another subnet.
Time to Google for some info (it’s a rainy day, that helps :P)

I’m not familiar with the specifics of ASUS so I can’t answer this.

The majority of WiFi guest networks operate on the same subnet as the private WiFi network. However, except for the really junky ones, they typically perform client isolation, which prevents Guest network clients form talking to other devices on the network. Such a configuration would prevent UPnP traffic to Vera, but I suspect that Kodi over WiFi will be unpleasant.

I contacted Customer Care again, and they did an attempt to block port 49451 in the Vera software.
Now I am monitoring if the issue is solved…

I had similar issues, not just with my Veras, but the Veras were causing other UPnP devices to turn-off /reboot.

Subnetting eliminated the problem. I would look at your router and switches and see if they are capable of creating subnets/Vlans. It’s not that difficult, and though you will need to learn a little about networking, especially understanding the distinction of tagged vs untagged packets --and conceptually how the IO of your router/switch sees those packets, with some trial and error you’ll get it working in short order. Most of your devices do not need to talk to one another and if you set up the Vlans correctly, you can manage any device from a trunked connection, which spans all subnets.

I have my cameras and NVR on vlan4, Devices (Veras, irrigation, etc) on vlan5, intercom on vlan6, VOIP on vlan7 and media devices on vlan8, Guest Wireless on vlan9, with an OpenVPN UDP on Vlan11 and an OpenVPN TCP on Vlan12. Management is on Vlan1.

Sounds complicated but it really isn’t. Once you set up the virtual networks, you never have to touch them again.

A great, reliable and cheap router is the Ubiquity ERL. Downstream from there, I use old Cisco switches bought for even less on EBAY. Uses more electricity than I like, but solar panels should take care of that ;D

@Buxton,
thanks for your hints and explanation. I will further investigate if I can do something like that in my home network.
My router is an ASUS RT-AC87U, so I will google for multiple subnet solutions first.

You have your cameras on vlan4, Vera etc on vlan5, media devices on vlan8,
is it still be possible to see the cameras via Vera ? Or is this a real newbie question ?

I have my DNS for these two subnets forwarded in my router, so I am able to connect the vera on one subnet to my cameras on another. The majority of network traffic stays on the subnets, as do the UPnP broadcast messages that cause all the havoc, while still allowing communication. Some Network folks can probably give you a better idea on how DNS forwarding works.

Asus appears to support vlans, but you’ll need to research more: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/102507/

I used cameras for a while on vera, but removed them from the UI over performance issues. I would definitely like to trigger recordings based on zwave events, so I’m thinking of installing openluup on a dedicated machine with a lot more processing power, and will try again if camera capability exists in Altui. Not sure that it does though.

I use Blue Iris for the cameras on a PC running 24/7, with a connection to Vera. I see updated stills in Vera (including a composite of all 4 cameras which I like), Vera arms the cameras to record on motion, and Vera sees the motion when armed and sends alerts. Vera seems to handle the still okay, and Blue Iris does the video heavy lifting. You could set up scenes/PLEG to trigger recordings on z-wave events in Vera but I have not tried this.