DLNA Media Controller plugin - version 1.1 released

Version 1.1 is released.

You can download it here (ZIP archive at the bottom of this page): 1.1 in tags – DLNA Media Controller

This version will be available in the MiOS app store in few days.

What’s new in version 1.1:

[ol][li]
UI6/UI7 compatibility improved
[/li]
[li]
IE11 compatibility improved (ok for all UI tabs coded in JavaScript)
[/li]
[li]
UI: style adjusted to UI5 theme
[/li]
[li]
Support added for Xbox One
[/li]
[li]
Fix for renderers not providing volume/mute adjustment through DLNA
[/li]
[li]
All plugin settings can now be adjusted in the Settings tab rather than the advanced tab (no reload required)
[/li]
[li]
Fail back to a refresh mode without the UPnP event proxy as soon as one event subscription fails
[/li][/ol]

I just published the new version of the plugin in the MiOS app store. We will now have to wait for Micasaverde approval.

lolodomo - This is fantastic! I am looking forward to using it to control my Jongo music system, read media etc.

What kind of things are possible and how would I set those up?

I did search and found the installation guide, but is there any thread or advice on examples of things that this DLNA controller would be used for?

Any links or advice would be much appreciated.

In few words, you will have to install the plugin from the app store. A new device will be automatically created at installation time. Open the settings tab and push the discover button to search for all the available DLNA renderers in your home network. Select your Jongo music system and then your setup is done.

Then from UI and/or scenes, you will be able to control your Jongo music system (play, pause, stop, volume, mute, …), use TTS and connect any media from one of your DLNA servers.

What you will not be able to do: play a playlist or navigate in a playlist.

Of course, all this suppose that the Jongo music system is fully DLNA compatible. Let me know about your results. If it works, I will add it to hte list of supported renderers.

Apparently the plugin has already been approved. So the version in the store should be now the version 1.1.
I will try myself an install from the store this evening.

I just installed the new version (1.1) from the store.

Unfortunately the Jongo doesn’t seem to support it. The app installs but when I go to Settings → Discover nothing appears.

My Jongos are all connected to my wifi and I can access them from my phone using the Pure app, but not using this DLNA.

Are there any other settings that I should try changing?

I wonder if I haven’t installed it correctly. I start up my Windows Media player (sharing etc is all turned on) and then press Discover and it doesn’t find it. Should it?

Under Advanced → Controlled by, it says “No Parent”. Should I select z-wave here? I was going to change that but got a warning pop up message saying it might brick my Vera… :o

Yes, if you have enabled the right setting.

Under Advanced -> Controlled by, it says "No Parent". Should I select z-wave here? I was going to change that but got a warning pop up message saying it might brick my Vera... :o

No, you should not change this setting.

I encountered myself in the past a problem with UPnP discovery not working in my VeraLite. As explained in the Wiki page, another user who was in the same case as me found a workaround. You have a link to his post in the Wiki. The problem was that the VeraLite was exposing a wrong IP address (an IP from another subnet). I used this workaround during several months. Recently, I suddenly discovered that the workaround was no more required ! During this time, the only thing that changed in my network is, I think, the firmware of my network router.
Don’t forget to enable UPnP AV in your router.

So, if you have a VeraLite, yes, you can be in a case where UPnP discovery is not working, but there is a known workaround to make it work consisting in modyfing the routing table in the Vera.

For users having not working UPnP discovery, I added the ability to directly provide the URL of the description file. But you need another tool to get this URL, DeviceSpy.

By the way, before trying to use the Vera plugin with a renderer not listed as a supported renderer, my advice is to check that you can control correctly your DLNA renderer with another tool, like for example BubbleUPnP on an Android tablet. If it already does not work with the other tools, there is no chance that it works in the Vera. The Vera can only add additional difficulty due to UPnP discovery that sometimes did not work in particular cases.

But I can confirm that UPnP discovery can work in UI7, I saw it myself in @HaPe’s Vera running UI7. At my knowledge, he did nothing special to make it work.

Thanks. I found that thread and that seems to be the problem.

Yes, I use Vera Lite.

I have now discovered the IP address of my Vera, and if I understand right I need to add a bit of code on startup that does:

[tt]iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.0.16 [/tt]

I have googled and read all the posts but I don’t know how to do that - or even how to run this code just once? How can I add a startup script to do this, in UI5? This is beyond my technical limits.

[quote=“dominoman, post:10, topic:183006”]Thanks. I found that thread and that seems to be the problem.

Yes, I use Vera Lite.

I have now discovered the IP address of my Vera, and if I understand right I need to add a bit of code on startup that does:

[tt]iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.0.16 [/tt]

I have googled and read all the posts but I don’t know how to do that - or even how to run this code just once? How can I add a startup script to do this, in UI5? This is beyond my technical limits.[/quote]

That is exactly the command to be run, supposing that 192.168.0.16 is the IP of your VeraLite.
You have to open a SSH session to your Vera (root access) and then simply run this command.
You will need to run again this command after each reboot of your Vera. It is of course not necessary when you just reload lua engine. So normally this will be required very rarely.

Your feedback will be very interesting. We never got any feedback on this workaround and I thought this workaround only helped two people around the world, myself included ;D
If it is confirmed that this workaround can help a lot of users, I could try to include it in the plugin to make things easy for the user.

I just tried the installation from the store. Everything is ok.
Please note that you have a window automatically opening on the new device in UI5 at the end of the installation. If you try a discovery immediately, the result will not be displayed. What you have to do first is to clear your WEB browser cache (Ctrl+F5). Then everything is ok.

Yes!

That worked. It took me a while to work out how to get into my Vera via ssh (not something I have ever used before), but with a bit of googling I got in.

I added the line below (the last bit being my Vera’s IP address) and then went back to the DLNA app. Discover works perfectly and finds both my Jongo and Windows Media Player!

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.0.15

Thanks lolodomo for the help and for creating this great app. You can add Pure Jongo music system to the supported list now!

Is there a guide on how to use the DLNA app? I have connected to my Windows Media Player but what can I do now. On the App it says “no Media” and pressing Play doesn’t do anything.

Sorry for the basic questions…

You have to select a media delivered by one of your network DLNA servers.