DirecTV RS232/Ethernet plugin

Yes I thought about doing that as I used to do exactly the same thing when I was using it with IR by mapping it to something else, but the problem is that the user has to actually select 10 when picking this from a scene, or within SQ remote, and the problem will be the same for any other AV Plugin that uses it. Also If we hack it now with 10 (or anything else) it now means we should also probably make it right in the future if MCV ever fixes it, and I’d rather just do it once by getting confirmation from MCV that the underlying problem can be fixed, or that they can allow the use of “_” or “Dash” and edit S_Tuning1.xml in the next release.

Given that dash button is needed for folks with the AM21 (Off Air Receiver / OTA) and other uses (useful for giving SWM/Internet status and maybe rebooting the box), I think we should just put pressure on MCV to fix it in the next firmware due to the fact it effects all other AV Plugins still. They just need to either edit the file to remove the - – characters from around the _ or just add _ on a new line like I did (or alternatively the word “Dash”).

I’d also like to see it fixed as occasionally I use the dash for confirmation of a box reboot.

@mcvflorin, input appreciated please!?

Fair enough, it’s just harder for folks to remove an over-ridden “core” file once it’s been uploaded, since they have to SSH in to remove the file (as it goes into [tt]/etc/cmh-ludl[/tt])

We can use this for tracking, looks like they didn’t fix all of the cases:
http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=1011

Bumping this thread since @MCVflorin didn’t give any feedback!!!

@lastmacuser, was the work around OK?

Worked perfectly. Thank you very much, it really helps my situation. One question for the experts. It seems like the DTV box is slow and misses commands a lot. This is why I use Ethernet instead of IR with them. IR works great for my other devices however. Ether does miss occasionally however. Any way to improve or is it DTV’s fault.

Mine never really misses a beat, but I expect there could be many factors why it doesn’t work as well for one person as another; these reasons could be:

• Type of receiver you have (I have a HR24 which is one of the fastest)
  • What sort of Vera you have (I have a V3 which is optimal compared to a V1/V2)
  • Various network related issues

Presuming you are using an iPhone / SQ remote, the wireless reception can be an issue
    If you have Bluetooth active or not on the iPhone (used to be a huge issue in earlier SQ software, but isn’t so much anymore)
    Type of iPhone / iPad

It would be good to perhaps see how others are using this (equipment), and maybe get a feel of how often in misses a command, along with doing some other testing like bypassing Vera and perhaps using one of the dedicated remote apps like the DTV iPad app, or one of the windows ones like this one:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/Widget-Miscellaneous/DirecTV-Remote-Control.shtml

I have the hr20’s. Yes they are slower. I have tried to gt an equipment upgrade from directv to no avail. Don’t get me started on their poor service.

I got lucky with mine as my HR23 failed :wink: and they replaced it with a HR24.

Try one of the other ways to control the receiver I mentioned, and see if its any better?

I resolved; http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=1011

I removed all the - characters from the tags in the service files, since that’s not valid. The -/-- action is now called “Dash”. The next build will have this new S_Tuning1.xml in it.

In the meantime, I’d just do what strangely recommended and use another key. You could also put this new S_Tuning1.xml in your /etc/cmh-ludl folder on Vera, until the next upgrade and then delete it. Files in cmh-ludl are used before those in cmh-lu, and on upgrade, files in cmh-lu are replaced (they’re our system versions) and files in cmh-ludl are preserved (user additions and overrides).

Let me start by saying I am new to the Vera3 and I have installed only 6 switches and 4 plugs and automated them. I have also added several plugins including two “DirecTV Media Control Plugins” Each has the IP and MAC address for each of my two DirecTV DVR’s. The one I created first is addressed to my older HR20 unit and reports the show and channel and seems to turn on the unit too. I am not sure how to make it do anything else. The other is addressed to by second DVR , a newer HR23. Both are on my local Ethernet and are setup and work on “whole House” so I can watch shows on either unit. I can also send video via the LAN using a Vulkano (a sling box type device). However the second “DirecTV Media Control Plugin” does not seem to do anything. It does not even report the channel or show being watched. Am I doing something wrong? Will the “DirecTV Media Control Plugin” handle two DVR’s? Are there detailed instructions on how the plugin works and what it can do? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am also trying to control an Onkyo TX-NR801 AV receiver that is plugged in to the Ethernet for Net radio but seems to use and IR remote. Can I control it via the Ethernet connection or must I use something like an IR blaster? If the blaster what do you recommend? I also have an Aqua Logic Spa control unit that uses a wireless radio control unit I would like to control with the Vera if possible too. I vene have a 16 Camera security system but I am stumped as to how I might connect the cameras to the Vera. But I can control it pretty well now with its own software. The main thing here is how to control two DirecTv DVR’s for now.

Thanks,
Dave

For config, only the IP Address is needed. The MAC isn’t needed.

The one I created first is addressed to my older HR20 unit and reports the show and channel and seems to turn on the unit too. I am not sure how to make it do anything else.
Most of the IR/AV "Remote Control" functions on UI5 aren't working (yet). They're working on addressing those. If you have SQRemote (iPhone/iPad) then IR/AV Devices, like the DirecTV Plugin, will showup in SQRemote and you can create remote-control buttons for the various other actions - channel changing etc, etc.

Even though they “look” like IR/AV devices, under the covers it’s all Ethernet.

However the second "DirecTV Media Control Plugin" does not seem to do anything. It does not even report the channel or show being watched.
I've not tried the whole-house DTV stuff but, other than that normally this would boil down one of the following:

[ul][li]the IP Address being incorrect in the config (like a DHCP allocation that’s since changed)[/li]
[li]Remote functionality not being enabled in the DTV (there’s a UI to enable it, since its disabled by default)[/li]
[li]Network connectivity problems between the Vera unit and that particuluar DTV unit[/li][/ul]

Will the "DirecTV Media Control Plugin" handle two DVR's?
It's intended to. I only have one, but Devices, even from a single Pugin codebase, are separated from each other internally. So you can have as many as your Vera will support (for a Vera3, I think you'd run out of $$ before you had enough DTV units)
I am also trying to control an Onkyo TX-NR801 AV receiver that is plugged in to the Ethernet for Net radio but seems to use and IR remote. Can I control it via the Ethernet connection or must I use something like an IR blaster?
There's another plugin for that also. It was built using a TX-NR807, but the wire protocols are the same. Once it's installed, you get Automation (scene scripting), as well as basic On/Off/Volume control in the UI. For more, you need either SQRemote (iPad/iPhone) or you need the UI5 Remote control functionality working again.

Here are the relevant references:

[ul][li]http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6367.0[/li]
[li]http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_onkyo-media-control[/li]
[li]MiOS Apps

If the blaster what do you recommend?
For my IR-only components, things I cannot control via Ethernet, I use SQBlaster from the SquareConnect.com (where I'm a Beta tester for SQBlaster, SQBlaster+ and SQRemote)

Hi everyone,

So I have been browsing through this topic a while and downloaded the DirecTV plugin.
Punched in my IP, made some changes on the box and it works great!

I do have one question though. Am I supposed to be able to change the channels? This is something I really would love to do however only the Channel number and current program gets displayed. There is no remote etc popping up. Was this plugin designed to change channels as well. If so - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help! I am on the newest FW and have a Vera Light… Happy Friday everyone!!!
Flo

It’s designed for scene scripting as wel as controll via Control Points that are AV enabled (like SQRemote). I didn’t bother putting in buttons for everything as I figured no-one really used the HTML dashboard (limited functionality there, generally, along with limited real-estate)

Ah I see!
Thanks for the great work @ Guessed!

MCV are building a remote interface into the dashboard; There are some other posts elsewhere about this recently where people have gotten it working. I also have link that somebody else posted that allows you to see all the device actions, and click a link to control them, and although it would be ugly, you would have control. I will post it when I turn on my laptop next, or find the other post here about it.

Thanks strangely,
Please let me know if you are able to find that link.
I would love to give it a try :slight_smile:
We have a slingbox and vulkano box in the house so my wife is used of channels suddenly changing… haha.
Flo

Ok so here is the link:

http://x.x.x.x:3480/data_request?id=lu_invoke (you’ll need your vera IP address where the x.x.x.x is)

You can also create buttons using scenes (use the advanced tab).

The best way to control though is with SQ remote!

Thanks!!
I will give it a try later when I get back home.

Flo

Silly question :-[:

I’m using a 4channel DVR that’s ethernet connected. I would like to see the imagem from de cameras on my Vera2 UI4 but it seems difficult to find a solution… till I found there’s a plugin called DVR connection. Unfortunatly I don’t know where to find the 3 files of that plugin (except using the apps.mios - but that only install the right plugins to UI5).

Would it be possible to use this Directtv plugin and watch the signal from the DVR with Vera2? :slight_smile:

Thank you! :slight_smile:

It’s only designed to tell a DirecTV unit to change channels (etc), it won’t let you see the video feed

Ups! Thank you for that info! :slight_smile: