DirecTV RS232/Ethernet plugin

• Version 1.1.1245
    -I got it created, but I admit I’m relatively new to Vera and I’ve slept between when I got the first created and the second.
    -Receiver is connected via IP
  • two HR24-100
  • Yes, I can control them from the iPad app
  • Yes, the original install works fine when I swap the ips. The 2nd install does not.

(Pause to continue screwing around with it…Success!)

I had to paste the following “urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:satellite:1” into the DeviceType when creating the device within Mios Devloper plugin option. I also had to enter D_DirecTVDVR1.xml into the UpnpDevFilename option.

Once I added one of my receiver ip’s, BAM! …it came to life!

If all of this makes sense, I’m open to adding these additional instructions to the directions for installing the plugin. They aren’t mentioned this clearly.

Now that I have them working, I have more questions/comments:

• How do I actually control the Dtv boxes? (Change channels, record shows, etc)
  • Do I need a WIZNET device? I see that mentioned on a couple threads, but its unclear why that is needed.
  • I have SQ Remote, but I don’t see any options to add the Dtv boxes there either.
  • All I can see is the current viewed channel via mios.com screens. I’m pumped about adding this functionality!!!

Thanks for your help!

So to create a second device you shouldn’t have to do anything other entering I_DirecTVDVR1.xml in the impl_file, D_DircecTVDVR1.xml in the device_file fields, a name, and and the IP address etc in the create device tab in the Mios Developers area, so I’m not sure why you would have had to do anything else?

So as far as what you can do with it…

Yes you can use SQremote to control it for all functions, however if you’ve had the app open for a while or back grounded, then I recommend force closing the app and restarting it for the new devices to appear! There’s supposed to be a setting under the Mios settings screen in SQremote called “update media devices” that should do this automatically, but I’ve never found it to work.

You can also create scenes in Vera that control it through the advance tab… so for instance you can have it tune to a certain channel in the morning (I do this), also you can have it put in standby as part of a go to bed scene etc.

edit*

OK added my remote layout and also a favorites screen I’d set up, this is actually done with Scenes in vera, which in turn get the DVR to tune to those channels automatically; the favorites screen is not really needed anymore since the SQ guys implemented the jump list feature.

Hello Guys;

All RECEIVERS who has a USB or ETHERNET will work on VERA?

I think every single receiver (barring the DirecTivo) has the option to use a minimum either RS232 (through compatible USB to serial adapters) or Ethernet!

Which model do you have?

Does the Whole-Home option have to be authorized by DirecTV for this to work? Do they charge for that if you have only one receiver in the house?

No don’t have whole home and it works fine.

Are you having problems getting it to work?

I just set up a vera lite with the UI5 interface. The directions for this plug-in do not follow what I am seeing. I want to control this via ethernet. Please tell me the steps exactly. Thank you in advance.

UI5 has changed a bit in relation to where you install a plugin manually compared to UI4 and therefore the wiki is out of date in that regard!

There are two ways to do this:

1. If you want to do it the old fashioned hard way (manually) then you just need to:

-Download the 3 files from here:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_directv-media-control/browser/trunk/D_DirecTVDVR1.json
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_directv-media-control/browser/trunk/D_DirecTVDVR1.xml
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_directv-media-control/browser/trunk/I_DirecTVDVR1.xml

-Within your Vera dashboard, browse to Apps > Develop Apps and then the luup files link.
-Browse to the location you saved the above and then and click go.
-Go to Apps > Develop Apps Create device and enter everything as follows (Do not use Internet Explorer for this!):

Enter D_DircecTVDVR1.xml in the Upnp Device Filename field
Enter I_DirecTVDVR1.xml in the Upnp Implementation Filename field
Enter DTV or something similar in the Description filed
Enter your receiver IP address (make sure you have a static address for your receiver if you can)

Once you have done the above with no deviations to case sensitivity etc then click Create Device.

After restarting the MiOS engine, then the only thing you may have to do it is make sure the whole home option is allowed in your receiver settings menu. (see previous post on this!)

1. If you want to do it the easy way :slight_smile:

Go to the app store and just install it from there! All you’ll need to do after is enter your IP address in the advanced tab of the device icon after you click the wrench :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

[quote=“strangely, post:48, topic:165452”]UI5 has changed a bit in relation to where you install a plugin manually compared to UI4 and therefore the wiki is out of date in that regard!

There are two ways to do this:

1. If you want to do it the old fashioned hard way (manually) then you just need to:

-Download the 3 files from here:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_directv-media-control/browser/trunk/D_DirecTVDVR1.json
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_directv-media-control/browser/trunk/D_DirecTVDVR1.xml
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_directv-media-control/browser/trunk/I_DirecTVDVR1.xml

-Within your Vera dashboard, browse to Apps > Develop Apps and then the luup files link.
-Browse to the location you saved the above and then and click go.
-Go to Apps > Develop Apps Create device and enter everything as follows (Do not use Internet Explorer for this!):

Enter D_DircecTVDVR1.xml in the Upnp Device Filename field
Enter I_DirecTVDVR1.xml in the Upnp Implementation Filename field
Enter DTV or something similar in the Description filed
Enter your receiver IP address (make sure you have a static address for your receiver if you can)

Once you have done the above with no deviations to case sensitivity etc then click Create Device.

After restarting the MiOS engine, then the only thing you may have to do it is make sure the whole home option is allowed in your receiver settings menu. (see previous post on this!)

1. If you want to do it the easy way :slight_smile:

Go to the app store and just install it from there! All you’ll need to do after is enter your IP address in the advanced tab of the device icon after you click the wrench :slight_smile:

Enjoy![/quote]

Thank you. I have done that and assigned a room. Now I can see the channel that the receiver is on, but how do I control the receiver? What do I do if I have 3 receivers?

If you have an iPhone or iPad then I recommend SQ remote HD to control the receiver via Vera! If you look through this thread a bit earlier you’ll see my SQ remote setup on the iPhone!

edit Link to the above post:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3079.msg44621.html#msg44621

To control it through Vera, all you can really do is create scenes etc by use of the advanced tab in Automation (scenes). in UI4 you could actually build a remote, but they took that out in UI5.

Outside of SQ remote control, I use mine with Vera to automate switching it on/off and setting it to tune to a certain channel, at a certain time of the day. I also have a bunch of scenes that are channel shortcuts (used in SQremote mainly) to be able to switch channels.

If you are feeling especially creative and you know a bit of HTML, then its also possible to create your own web page as a remote using Veras device numbers, service IDs and actions etc with something like the following:

http://insert_your_vera_IP_address_here:49451/data_request?id=lu_action&DeviceNum=XX&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DiscretePower1&action=Off

You can test the above by inserting your Vera IP and also your device # for the plugin where the XX is above ( DeviceNum=XX ) Be warned it’ll turn it off!

If you want to control multiple receivers then just create new plugins using the second part of the install procedure as the files are already there!

[quote=“strangely, post:50, topic:165452”]If you have an iPhone or iPad then I recommend SQ remote HD to control the receiver via Vera! If you look through this thread a bit earlier you’ll see my SQ remote setup on the iPhone!

edit Link to the above post:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3079.msg44621.html#msg44621

To control it through Vera, all you can really do is create scenes etc by use of the advanced tab in Automation (scenes). in UI4 you could actually build a remote, but they took that out in UI5.

Outside of SQ remote control, I use mine with Vera to automate switching it on/off and setting it to tune to a certain channel, at a certain time of the day. I also have a bunch of scenes that are channel shortcuts (used in SQremote mainly) to be able to switch channels.

If you are feeling especially creative and you know a bit of HTML, then its also possible to create your own web page as a remote using Veras device numbers, service IDs and actions etc with something like the following:

http://insert_your_vera_IP_address_here:49451/data_request?id=lu_action&DeviceNum=XX&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:DiscretePower1&action=Off

You can test the above by inserting your Vera IP and also your device # for the plugin where the XX is above ( DeviceNum=XX ) Be warned it’ll turn it off!

If you want to control multiple receivers then just create new plugins using the second part of the install procedure as the files are already there![/quote]

Thank you for the info. I was looking for a control on the interface like the light on/off buttons or the a channel up/down button like on the thermostat interface. Is it possible to create a scene with that capability or do I have to use html to do that?

Yes you can, albeit that you cant replictate a light switch exactly with on/off, you just have to create a scene for each action from the advanced tab of a scene in automation.

It should be possible to add some controls to the Json (the component that displays in the dashboard), for channel control etc, but that’s a bit beyond my capabilities without some help I’m afraid, and we’d have to solicit help from elsewhere. I’ll take a look to see if I can work out how to do it though!

I love this plugin and how it never seems to miss a command. I need some help however. In my area there is no HD local so I have the extra antenna box connected to the DVR. In order to change to local stations I need the “-” channel separator. I cannot find it in the list of possible commands. Am I missing something?

If I remember correctly there was a bug with the MiOS software (a year or so back) that prevented it from being used.
We’ll have to revisit it to see if that’s been fixed, and if it has then it should be trivial to fix and implement.

@strangely,
If you want to give it a shot, it’s the S_Tuning1.xml file that needs to be [partially] implemented.

Thanks for work on the plugin. That stuff is way above my head. But us boneheads appreciate it.

OK so if I edit the plugin to use -_-- from the S_Tuning1.xml, it still causes the plugin to fail to load :frowning:

Anyhoo…

@lastmacuser, can you make a backup first (in case this goes bad) and then try the attached two files and let me know if this works for you?

You’ll need to go to Apps > Develop Apps >Luup files to upload them, and restart MiOS also!

I assume you meant the dash key, if so then this should work now!

Yes dash key. I will load tonight and report. Thanks again.
Do I need to delete the old LUUP files before installing the new ones?
I already have S_Tuning1.xml loaded.

No just upload both and it will overwrite the existing ones.

Despite already having S_Tuning1.xml (standard MiOS file) you need to replace it since I’ve had to work around the problem that the existing use of -_-- causes.

Looks like we’ll need to get MCV to fix in the long term as every time you update your Vera, you’d likely also have to overwrite S_Tuning1.xml again since, that would get defaulted!

@strangely,
We could also just pick another code, like “[tt]10[/tt]” and remap it’s implementation to be the “[tt]-[/tt]” functionality. That way we wouldn’t need to change a core definition… at least until the bug is fixed.