Dimming LED lights

Is there a way to make older Z wave Dimmers work with CFL or LED lights? I have about 4 dimmers that would love to use instead of spending another 220 dollars on new ones.

Do a search… lots of posts on this.

I have older GE dimmers that seem to work pretty well… but often depends on the bulb. Two main things to look for in testing any buzzing that comes from switch/bulb, and dim levels. Many post that dimming works, but will only go down to a certain level (e.g. 20%) before it turns off completely.

FWIW… I’ve had decent luck with Cree bulbs from Home Depot, as well as the Philips.

[quote=“tomgru, post:2, topic:185304”]Do a search… lots of posts on this.

I have older GE dimmers that seem to work pretty well… but often depends on the bulb. Two main things to look for in testing any buzzing that comes from switch/bulb, and dim levels. Many post that dimming works, but will only go down to a certain level (e.g. 20%) before it turns off completely.

FWIW… I’ve had decent luck with Cree bulbs from Home Depot, as well as the Philips.[/quote]

Just wanted to add that I have also had decent luck with the Cree and Philips - with a slight edge to the Philips. It also often helps if there is at least one incandescent bulb on the same switch (e.g., 4 LED bulbs and 1 incandescent)

[quote=“tomgru, post:2, topic:185304”]Do a search… lots of posts on this.

FWIW… I’ve had decent luck with Cree bulbs from Home Depot, as well as the Philips.[/quote]

I don’t believe that it is so much a dimmer issue as much as a bulb issue. The LEDs and CFL are not designed to dim. There are both CFL and LED bulbs available in dimmable versions. That is the simple solution if the other for mentioned options don’t work.

I am using Hallo bulbs, if I use 3 LED’s and one incandescent it will work but it doesn’t look good. the old dimmers need at least a 40W load on them to dim all the way off, right now they will only go to about 20%. I guess I need to update my Dimmer

You can add a “dummy load” to get up to the 40w via resistor. you can read the thread on it here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,9262.0.html

Note though that I believe it means you are using more power. That said, I use as little as 2 EcoSmart (with Cree LEDs) recessed trims from home depot without issue on Leviton 2 wire dimmers (the vri-06 model) without issue. It of course depends not only on your bulbs, but the combination of those bulbs with a your dimmer (different combinations work for some reason or another).

[quote=“SirMeili, post:6, topic:185304”]It of course depends not only on your bulbs, but the combination of those bulbs with a your dimmer (different combinations work for some reason or another).[/quote]The reason is leading edge or traling edge phase cutting.

Here’s a simple explanation. Leading edge dimmers need bulbs that can accept leading edge phase cutting. Some bulbs (Philips and Cree) handle either leading or trailing edge almost equally. Many bulbs will only work one way.

LED Benchmark is a GREAT site that, among other things, tells you if the bulb is leading or trailing edge dimmable. Determining if the dimmer switch is leading or trailing edge is an exercise for the reader.

Great site to know!