DimmableLED light circuit and sketch (used for Kitchen Cabinet Lighting)

Hek certainly has opened a whole new world of automation possibilities with his extensible Arduino sensor project. I wanted to connect my kitchen lights to the Vera for a very long time but I had installed low-voltage halogen lights that had two problems:

[ol][li]I couldn’t find a Z-Wave dimmer that was compatible with them and [/li]
[li]They would hum when dimmed to anything below 100%.[/li][/ol]

I had 3 options:

[ol][li]Spend significant $$$$ on an LED driver that can be dimmed by a triac dimmer and then buy a Z-Wave magnetic dimmer[/li]
[li]Wait for the Fibraro RGBW to become available in the US or[/li]
[li]build my own using Hek’s project.[/li][/ol]

I opted for #3 - build my own because it was cheaper, offered more control and it was clearly more fun.

I bid on a roll of SMD2050 LED strips on eBay and was able to get a 5M strip for $11. I prototyped a single channel circuit based upon the actuator example sketch and was able to control the LED light level using pulse-wave-modulation (if you don’t know what PWM is, there are a lot of tutorials on the topic but it is the best way to adjust LED light intensity).

I have attached some photos of the project as I built is and will try to post a video of it in action.

By the way, I want to point out that I knew nothing about Arduino and/or building circuits before embarking on this project - bottom-line, give it a shot, Hek has made it a lot easier than it appears but at the end of the day, knowing how to build these simple “sensors” will open huge automation possibilities. I have at least 3 other ideas brewing so to speak :wink:

Updated Feb 22 - attached v1.0 sketch - download and rename DimmableLED.ino.txt to DimmableLED.ino
Updated Feb 27 - attached breadboard/circuit layout

Here is a photo of the completed project - my wife loves it!

You can also view a video of the test run of the circuit at http://home.blacey.com/CircuitTest720p.mov

And finally, a video of the final install at http://home.blacey.com/InstallTest720p.mov

Enjoy!

@blacey
Nice project and kitchen lightning!

@Hek

All thanks to you Hek! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Can you share sketch and parts used? I have been looking to do the same thing.

If you have them, I wouldn’t mind any additional install pics as well. Like where did you mount the project box, mount the lights, etc. Though I guess you just used double sided tape for the lights.

@blacey

You wouldn’t happen to be taking orders, would you? :slight_smile:

Looks really nice!

I have the same lights up now but just plugged into a z wave outlet. So can’t dim. I am curious about install too as I had to cut strips of the light and solder together where the cabinets meet. Works but would like cleaner.

Absolutely, in the spirit of Hek’s project, my plan is to share all the details and sketch. I should be able to get to that in the next day or two.

[quote=“cubs2b23, post:7, topic:179597”]@blacey

You wouldn’t happen to be taking orders, would you? :slight_smile:

Looks really nice![/quote]

Not taking orders but I will share enough details that you can gin up your own fairly well. :wink:

I ran 14 AWG wire through the cabinets tucked in either the front or rear corner so you can’t really see it (see photo below). I used 14 AWG to minimize the voltage loss.

The power supply and Arduino PWM dimmer is mounted above the sink where it isn’t visible but you could mount it inside a cabinet near the top where it also wouldn’t be visible, assuming you don’t mind drilling a few holes in your cabinets.

I am doing the same thing with my cabinets but using a rgb strip. Are you still planing to share your sketch blacey? I have been browsing around these forums for a while now and having a blast trying to automate my whole house. Thanks to Hek I am saving a ton of money making my own sensors. ;D

Absolutely, I have attached version 1.0 of the sketch to the first post in this thread. Enjoy!

I decided to continue the fun by mounting three 1-watt LED lights above the fireplace mantel for accent lighting using the same circuit and sketch above…

Really nice work!
What MOSFET did you use?

[quote=“gregl, post:14, topic:179597”]Really nice work!
What MOSFET did you use?[/quote]

I don’t know if they are the best or cheapest but they work well - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087YK0CO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How does the wiring look? You are giving me lots of ideas. This one would really make the wife happy.

Very simple. Three, one-watt LEDs wired in parallel and controlled by the same single DimmableLED MOSFET circuit and sketch at the beginning of this thread and powered by a 12VDC 4A power supply. Parts used below:

LEDs - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BCVM4Q/ref=oh_details_o06_s03_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power Supply - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034GUEY4/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These small lighting projects have exceeded the “wife-factor” goals. Happy wife == happy life.

Thanks for the links. I also wanted to know how you did the wiring for the lights in the wall. Is the arduino and power supply in the wall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is a storage closet behind the wall where the fireplace flue exits the structure. I drilled 2.5" holes using a hole saw up through the supports over the mantel, drilled a 3/8" hole through the insulated wall in the closet behind the mantel and just above the 2.5" hole for the LED fixture. I fed the LED wire up through the 2.5" hold and then fished the wires out using a clothes hanger. I sealed the holes using insulated sealer and wired everything up in the closet behind the mantel.

I have attached the circuit layout to the first post in this thread so others can give it a shot. Also, per Hek’s suggestion, I plan to develop a multi-channel dimmer for RGB LED strips if anyone is interested.