Dimable Lamp Module---Way to prevent it ffrom being dimable?

What is the secret capability which will make a dimable lamp module non-dimable?
Just an on/off devices?
Or is it not that easy?

Richard

not sure what you’re trying to accomplish, you can just power it to 100%, some (the leviton units I believe) will let you set the rate that the power fades in so it happens quickly, others can not be adjusted

I don’t think it is that easy or possible, having looked into it myself. Unless you added your own contactor relay so the dimmable module just triggered a larger relay (inefficient and probably dangerous in the wrong hands). When you break it down, that is the difference between the dimmable and appliance modules, the appliance modules ‘click’ a relay on and off and the dimmable module uses circuitry to dim incandescent loads (not flourescent).

I also wish this was available. I’ve had some trouble with a Hawking camera HNC-290G freezing up the static JPG image that vera pulls. This thing has never worked properly for more than 5-6 hours but a power cycle fixes it. I figured that I could use Vera to set a timer to cycle the module that the camera is connected to every 4 hours. This would solve my problem…

BUT, tried the intermatic lamp module I had laying around, and due to the slow powerup (dim to bright) caused problems with the cam booting since it didn’t have enough power. I was forced to use an appliance module (non-dimmable) to solve this.

The main reason I want this:
I use this controller to power cycle some network infrastructure equipment in the attic, and don’t want it “dimming” the circuit…

Replaceing the circuitry with a relay is probably what I am going to do… unless a software solution presents itself…

@Richardb, I wouldn’t risk it with the Dimmer. Your Network gear (and time) is probably worth more than it would cost to buy the Relay-based ZWave controller.

Don’t know if it applies to your specific device, but there was discussion about a month ago on how the Dimmer(s) work. In these cases, they never 0% off, as they need some current flow for powering the ZWave chips themselves (cant recall the thread right now).

I can’t imagine that’s a healthy for any “sensitive” device…

I believe that there are mono-pole outlets that would probably be a better choice than using the dimmer switch to power the devices,… and there are also Z-wave controlled power strips that can be used… I am sure that those are on/off as well…

[Update] You could always use an out-door appliance module… You can fing them at places like ASI Home in PA…

[quote=“guessed, post:6, topic:165192”]Don’t know if it applies to your specific device, but there was discussion about a month ago on how the Dimmer(s) work. In these cases, they never 0% off, as they need some current flow for powering the ZWave chips themselves (cant recall the thread right now).

I can’t imagine that’s a healthy for any “sensitive” device…[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply, there were some discussions on this, for example starting here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2124.msg8498#msg8498

Some more related pieces here, as well:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2838.msg11251#msg11251

There could have been other messages/discussions, but I can’t find them at the moment…