Detecting if a Kwikset deadbolt is opened from the inside or outside

Hi,

I’ve been pondering if it’s possible to detect whether a Kwikset deadbolt is being unlocked from the inside (where you’d manually and mechanically move the deadbolt) versus from the outside (keypad side) where you’d enter a code. Does anybody know if the luup.variable_watch() function could be used to track whether a PIN code was entered or not?

I’m thinking that, if a user opens the door from the inside, they’ll “only” have the option of moving the deadbolt mechanically & manually (no code). If they’re opening it from the outside (assuming they’re not using keys…), they’d use a code and then the bolt/door would open.

Is the “door opening” event assigned to a “watchable” variable, and the same question applies regarding the “code successfully entered” event?

My thinking being that luup code could be used to monitor the two variables (assuming this is possible) and then a flag/virtual device/something gets set depending on which approach is used (keypad or lever). If the keypad flag is set, then the door is being opened for entry into the house (which means the ‘door open’ event fires after the “code entered” event), and the opposite is - more or less - true if the user opens the door and the device fires the “door open” event without any code entered.

Does this make sense & is it possible to use luup.variable_watch() function to track/identify which event firest first?

Thanks!

I’m new to Luup, but I posed a similar question on cocoontech.com:
link to thread
Here’s the response I received:

It will send a notification of the bolt being extended/retracted so if you see an open/close without a code associated to it, you should be able to tell that it was the key or the thumb latch.
...so what you're suggesting should be possible.

@sjolshagen, what are you trying to achieve? I assume you just want a different type of Scene to fire depending on whether someone is entering or exiting?

If so then then it should be possible without LUUP as the events can be set up as per the attached via a conventional scene or two.

[quote=“strangely, post:3, topic:168328”]@sjolshagen, what are you trying to achieve? I assume you just want a different type of Scene to fire depending on whether someone is entering or exiting?

If so then then it should be possible without LUUP as the events can be set up as per the attached via a conventional scene or two.[/quote]
It looks to me that he wants the first AND the inverse of the third.

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question.

I want to know when it is opened from the inside (no pin code used)

I also want to know which code is being used outside.

So Right now I get 2 alerts at one time one saying vera alert door unlock AND one saying which pin was used if someone opens it from the outside keypad.

I’m trying to eliminate the double notification if someone uses a pin code form outside… Which means I need a scene that says door unlocked when… Deadbolt is unlock, BUT NOT IF A CODE IS ENTERED.