Delay for DSC wireless sensors?

I’m planning to buy a DSC 1832 with EVL4 to integrate with my Vera 3 (UI7). From reading other posts I understand that there is a 6 sec delay from when a wireless sensor trigger until the alarm panel/Vera knows about it. I just wonder if this is true?

For door/window sensors it should be no issue but for motion senors I would like an instant update to be able to control light. An alternative would be to have wired motion sensors and the rest of the sensors wireless but my house is not prepared to run wire. :-/

Yes, the above is true. It is a design of the DSC wireless motion sensors to minimise false reporting

The delay is to allow the delay door signal to reach the panel first. This is to prevent the motion from seeing the door movement and triggering the alarm prior to the delay door transmitting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Is the motion sensor delay something that can be configured or is it by design? If it’s by design I assume that also a wired motion sensor has this setting?

The delay for motion sensors is something I would like to configure per unit. It had also been convenient to have different settings if the alarm is armed or unarmed, i.e. Motion sensor 1 delay: 5 sek when armed, 0 sek when unarmed. Is this possible?

I would think the delay is by zone type (interior) and internal to the panel. The delay may be exaggerated or prolonged for wireless motions with the transmit time added. You could test by programming the motion as a perimeter type. There is also an area that you can customize zone attributes and may be able to turn off this delayed response.

As I don’t own an alarm yet I can’t tweak and test myself unfortunately. Do you mean that it would be possible to get rid of the initial 6 sec delay?

If I get a chance I will try to check. BTW if you are in the market for a system you may want to take a look at the new DSC Neo panel.

It would be great if you’ll get a chance to check.

I would like to go with Neo but as the communication is encrypted it’s not possible to hook it up to Vera via EVL.

The DSC wireless motion sensor delay is embedded by design. The delay is the Sensor reporting to the panel.

DSC window/door have immediate reporting to the panel.

The above is distinctly different from programming the panel reporting an alarm state which can be configured.

The NEO currently cannot interface with Home Automation systems or is it compatible with the EVL.

There are other options with non DSC wireless motion sensors that reporting instantly but you will need to do your own research

A Translator that enable you to use other brands can be found

http://resolutionproducts.com/products/translators-repeaters/wireless/

[quote=“Brientim, post:9, topic:193053”]The DSC wireless motion sensor delay is embedded by design. The delay is the Sensor reporting to the panel.

DSC window/door have immediate reporting to the panel.

The above is distinctly different from programming the panel reporting an alarm state which can be configured.

The NEO currently cannot interface with Home Automation systems or is it compatible with the EVL.

There are other options with non DSC wireless motion sensors that reporting instantly but you will need to do your own research[/quote]
So even if the window/sensor is wireless it reports it’s status immediately?

Regarding the motion sensor, I assume that the delay to avoid false alarms is the same for a wired sensor?

The translator you’ve linked to seems quite nice. If I’ve understood it correctly the translator receives the signal from a different brand sensor, translates it and relays it wirelessly to DSC? I would expect some delay there as well but probably not as much as with a DSC original sensor.