Debugging serial connection

I’m trying to set this up using the powerlink2 and an ethernet to RS232 console cable with a 232->USB connection.

I’ve tried a few different ways of installing and just can’t seem to get it to mesh with what I am seeing in the WIKI. Anyone else using the powerlink2?

thx jr

You should not use the Powerlink2 in conjunction with the Vera plugin. You either use the Powerlink2 or the Vera plugin. Not both.

So just leave it connected to my network as it is? And let it find it as a UPnP Device?

No. Disconnect the Powerlink2 and connect the Visonic dual RS232 via an RS232->USB device to the Vera.

sorry i don’t have the 232 module for the alarm.

I have a Console cable which is RJ45 → RS232 then RS232 → USB connected to the vLITE

Indeed. The Visonic dual RS232 module uses an RJ45 connector. So you do have it ;D.

Here is the link to the install guide.

PowerLink2, no RS232 connection

Ok, sorry. Then either you still need to buy and connect the RS232 module or make a connection via a TTL->USB module as discussed in this topic

So I blew it all up to factory default and it picked up the a few devices and then i only installed the plugin and set it to force standard mode.

Everything was going really well for about 10 minutes…then i got the Startup Error…it would allow me to Arm Home even though it was prompting for 4 digit pin code… I’m attaching zip with some screenshots & log.

A factory default won’t help. Best thing is to take off the power (mains and battery) to get the panel in the right state again.

Have look at the powermax_pdu.txt file. You’ll see that only once an acknowledge message comes back from the panel (‘0D 02 FD 0A’). Each message should be acknowledged, so communication is not flowing well.


I am just using a USB extension cable from the Vera to the PowerMax. I can’t imagine that it would need to be powered.

Reset everything last night and got some ‘POWERMAX’ errors

50 06/18/13 23:03:21.100 luup_log:12: POWERMAX: *** Re-sending PDU (got no response) *** <0x2cb89680>
06 06/18/13 23:03:21.101 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 12 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:PowermaxAlarmPanel1 variable: e[35;1mCommExceptionse[0m was: 3 now: 4 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:(nil)/NONE duplicate:0 <0x2cb89680>
06 06/18/13 23:03:21.102 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 12 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:PowermaxAlarmPanel1 variable: e[35;1mCommLastExceptione[0m was: 1371610896 now: 1371611001 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:(nil)/NONE duplicate:0 <0x2cb89680>
50 06/18/13 23:03:21.103 luup_log:12: POWERMAX: *** Houston - we have a communication problem (no response)! Executing a reload. *** <0x2cb89680>
50 06/18/13 23:03:21.104 luup_log:12: POWERMAX: PDU sent to panel: 0D AB 0A 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 43 06 0A <0x2cb89680>

Yes, your serial communication still does not work. Messages that are being sent are not being acknowledged that they have been received by the panel. You will need to describe your setup set-by-step to get any further (type of interfaces, cables, connected devices etc.).

Powermax Pro PC/IP Port - > Prolific PL-2303HX or HXA USB-to-Serial Bridge connected via (RX → TX, RX → TX, Gnd → Gnd on top row) → USB Type A Female to Male Cable - > Vera Lite

Running the Visonic Plugin from the Marketplace.

On a fresh restart it works for about 10 minutes in force standard mode, I tick all the sensors and their Zones and it pulls those across from the panel. It adds the second device for partition 1.

The Control Tab shows version 1.1 and standard mode and that is it. Nothing else comes across around the panel, version, eprom, etc.

I was able to Arm Home last night but that was it then the Lua Startup Fail…

from putty

root@MiOS_35010295:~# dmesg | grep “pl2303”
USB Serial support registered for pl2303
pl2303 2-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
usb 2-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303
pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
usb 2-1: pl2303_read_int_callback - usb_submit_urb failed with result -19
pl2303 ttyUSB0: pl2303 converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
pl2303 2-1:1.0: device disconnected
pl2303 2-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
usb 2-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

ttyUSB0 is blank

Good that you looked at this! I already was afraid of this. But it clearly identifies the ‘PL2303’ as the problem. I’ve previously seen problems with PL2303s, hence I always use FTDI based devices. There are cheap rip-offs around of PL2303s. FTDI based ones are safe.

I have that already that I was using with the plink2, using a console cable. but with plink2 not working seems i have to get the visonic rs232 adapter?

Last question as my wife is giving me hell about looking at this soo much and it doesn’t work…

Are there any specific settings on the Define Coms on the alarm that maybe i am setting wrong?

-force home networking

BUt stepping away from it until the replacement FTDI usb shows up.

No, nothing special that you need to set. Just wait for the new cable. That one looks good.

Cable made it…looks like i need to snip and get the appropriate wires connected, not a pnp connection

If all else fails, here is the interesting info off the linked page:

* Pin 1 GND

  • Pin 2 CTS
  • Pin 3 VCC (+3.3v!)
    [b]* Pin 4 TXD orange
  • Pin 5 RXD[/b] yelllow
  • Pin 6 RTS

I’m assuming that the black wire is pin 1.

It’s using the FTDI chipset:

  • Product ID: 0x6001
  • Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
  • Version: 6.00
  • Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
  • Manufacturer: FTDI
  • Current Required (mA): 500