Deadbolt returning opposite status - help please!

I have tried to install a z-wave deadbolt and can’t get it to return the correct lock status. I live in Australia, and the lock is digital home systems ZM1702AU - I believe this is a Yale lock.

I can get the lock to pair without problems, but to get it to lock I have to tell it to unlock. That works fine, but it means the pin entry doesn’t work. This was the point f the system, so rather frustrating.

I have tried setting the reverse on/off status, but this does not change anything.

I’m new to z-wave and would really appreciate some advice on what to try.

Thanks

Hi Nomer,

I don’t know how much the forum is going to be able to help you here. Very few people seem to have that lock, and there’s hardly any hits for it online either. Most Australians on the forum here are gun-shy about being early adopters of locks, so we don’t have any personal experience.

You probably need the help of Micasaverde support, and/or of the retailer that you got the lock from.

Some things that occur to me, in no particular order:

Be sure that you are using the latest Vera firmware. The release notes often mention locks so unless you are on a recent firmware you haven’t got a chance of it working. 1.5.632 is the current latest version.

If you just consider the lock and forget about Vera: do you need a PIN to lock it, or do you need a PIN to unlock it? If the former but not the latter, then it may be an installation error. In my limited experience installing mechanical locks, I’ve once put part of the lock in wrong and had it zig when it should have zagged. Particularly since this lock seems to be switchable for left/right-opening doors, make sure you’ve configured it right.

Your description of the problem is ambiguous. Does the lock report its locked/unlocked status to Vera backwards? Or does it report the locked/unlocked status correctly but the actions are backwards? Which it is might point to different causes.

If your lock is indeed using Yale hardware, the following info may apply to you:

I have a Yale push button zwave deadbolt and had a similar problem where the deadbolt seemed to be reversed after installation. The problem was that the yale deadbolts have automatic handing, and the handedness was set incorrectly when I bench tested the deadbolt before installation. Here’s an excerpt from the manual:

Yale Real LivingTM locks are automatically handed. On start up, hold down the reset button and wait while the lock tests bolt operation. For security purposes, it is highly recommended that the default Master Pin Code be changed before any other programming.

Hopefully this helps!

Reverse the Lock/Unlock Status (http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?language=1&manual=1&platform=3Lite&page=door_locks)

If the lock/unlock status of your door lock is backwards, meaning Vera’s ‘Dashboard’ shows it is locked when it’s really unlocked and vice-versa, it’s possible the lock was oriented upside-down when mounted. To solve this issue:

Click the button for the lock
Click the “Advanced” tab
At “New service:” enter “urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1”
At “New variable:” enter “ReverseOnOff”
At “New value:” enter “1”
Click the “Add” button, close the Door lock settings and click on “Save”.

[quote=“Mynameisjim, post:4, topic:175025”]At “New service:” enter “urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1”
At “New variable:” enter “ReverseOnOff”[/quote]

Nomer, I’ve no idea if this is what you say you’ve tried. But it’s really easy to mistype the strings. Capitalization is vital, as is ensuring that you don’t have leading/trailing spaces. Also, don’t include the quotes. Copy and paste to be sure you haven’t made a transcription error.

what @zekelion said should solve the problem. I’ve been in the same situation, I had to reset the lock because the handing was misconfigured.

I also have one of these except it is the right handed version…the status and lock /unlock functions work fine for me, the issue I have with mine is that events arent triggered for PIN numbers entered, I can only use “lock opened” and “lock closed” events to trigger scenes/ notifications no other events seem to be recognised.

Just got an update from zwave.com.au regarding my lock issue:

“I have got update from MiCasaVerde, they will implement notification function for this lock in the future firmewarwe”

I havent heard confirmation of this from MCV yet tho

Mine stayed in unlock position. I drilled deadbolt hole deeper, it locked properly and showed it. It also stopped beeping at me after I pressed the lock button, it was a pleasant sounding beep but it meant there was an error.

baxy_AU - I have model DHS-ZM1701AU and i have the same problem as you. Everything is working fine, except the notifications. E.G. to notify a user when incorrect pin is entered, that would be nice to do :slight_smile:

Also have you experienced that the batteries drain pretty quickly? I would say my lock gets used min 6 times a day. The batteries supplied with the unit lasted about 3-4 months. (Which i think is pretty good) However ever since i changed them to the lithium-ion batteries it only lasted about 4 weeks. I thought the lithium-ion batteries would have been better. I just went through the manual and it says to use good quality alkaline batteries so ill try that from now on!

I remember reading someplace (probably the manual or website?) that they don’t recommend using rechargeable batteries and whatnot. I also noticed that if you turn off the beeping sound (when pressing the buttons) it’ll improve battery life slightly.

If you use other than the recommended batteries than the battery life will not be reported accurately.

Each family of batteries has a different decay profile (Voltage vs time) as the battery is consumed. It’s not a simple linear graph. The portable devices uses the current voltage and maps that into a % lifetime remaining using an assumed profile.

The best thing to do is to always uses the same type of battery, and see what value you can go to before lock failure. That value should then be repeatable. Note it could say 80% for a long time than drop to 10% quickly, or it could drop to 30% quickly and then stay there for a long time. After the first failure you will know the true battery lifetime profile.

Start with new batteries. Every week record the reported battery lifetime … Until the lock fails. You will then be able to translate the reported number into an actual number.

I also cannot get any other events other than “lock opened” and “lock closed” as you have. Has anyone had success with this lock getting PIN number and “lock button pressed” notifications?

Cheers, Syd
Perth, Australia

I also cannot get any other events other than “lock opened” and “lock closed” as you have. Has anyone had success with this lock getting PIN number and “lock button pressed” notifications?

Cheers, Syd
Perth, Australia[/quote]
Have you put in a support ticket with micasaverde?

Not yet. Do they have a solution?

[quote=“RichardTSchaefer, post:12, topic:175025”]If you use other than the recommended batteries than the battery life will not be reported accurately.

Each family of batteries has a different decay profile (Voltage vs time) as the battery is consumed. It’s not a simple linear graph. The portable devices uses the current voltage and maps that into a % lifetime remaining using an assumed profile.

The best thing to do is to always uses the same type of battery, and see what value you can go to before lock failure. That value should then be repeatable. Note it could say 80% for a long time than drop to 10% quickly, or it could drop to 30% quickly and then stay there for a long time. After the first failure you will know the true battery lifetime profile.

Start with new batteries. Every week record the reported battery lifetime … Until the lock fails. You will then be able to translate the reported number into an actual number.[/quote]

I lose all faith in companies that can not figure out how to build an accurate battery percentage display. If this is their answer, then what good is any lock that uses this innacurate garbage. How can I believe any of the data the lock is displaying if some of it has a critical flaw.
A innacurate meter is no meter at all. The whole idea of putting a battery meter is to accurately display the amount of life is left in a power source.
If it doesnt work then get rid of it!
Guesswork if for weathermen! Not my security devices!

Not yet. Do they have a solution?[/quote]
No If they give me a decent response I will let you know…but if they get more request s for the same issue they “may” put a higher priority on sorting it out

I contacted the vision company and i was told that there is a switch in the lock it self which will switch between the unlock and lock functions

Find the attached photo

Not tested yet and will this evening

Thanks,

I will contact support and ask the same question. Hopefully it will be implemented soon.

Cheers
Syd

did anyone ever figure out if you can get a pin notification back from this lock.

Just purchased one and strangely enough zwave.com.au didn’t mention this didn’t work. still waiting for their reply as usual