DataYours - Edit/Delete schema for monitored variable in order to start over

I need to change the parameters for a monitored variable or delete it and start over with new aggregation and storage archive parameters.

It’s been so long ago since I used that interface, that I’ll have to go and try it before I can give you an answer!

This will have to wait until tomorrow, sorry.

So the way to do this is to switch off the watch on the devices page of the dashboard, drilling down to the specific device variable you want to modify. Reload Luup on Vera and check that this is not now being watched. Manually delete the appropriately named file in the directory designated by LOCAL_DATA_DIR. Start over.

It’s a dog, but it was the best I could do at the time. As I said, I never use this interface for DataYours any more. I run AltUI on all my Veras and use its DataStorage Provider facility to push data directly to DataYours, and to graph it. However, most of my data logging is now done in the openLuup environment using its embedded Data Historian (which has a database compatible with DataYours.)

Thanks for the prompt response.
Unfortunately I don’t have the knowledge to even understand your alternative to using DataYours “out of the box” and i suspect this is well beyond the technical capabilities of the usual Vera user.

The ideal situation is to be able to install and use an application without resorting to “back door” Linux access to the Vera platform.
I can think of no better way for an unskilled user to “kill” their Vera than to be “mucking” around its internals.

How much trouble would it be to add a menu item to the variable configuration “delete/reset” to the watch/unwatch dialog so the casual user could use this otherwise “super” app?

Fully understand. It wasn’t so much offered as a viable alternative for you, rather an excuse on my part.

The ideal situation is to be able to install and use an application without resorting to "back door" Linux access to the Vera platform.

Indeed, but you have to understand that many of the third-party developed plugins are made initially to fill an immediate need for their creator. We choose to share what might be useful, and we do so with some trepidation, since support is not a minor issue. The plugins grow in an organic way, often incorporating improvements and suggestions offered by users, so there is some benefit which flows back to the originator.

Well-used (and well-liked) plugins develop and are maintained, others fall by the wayside, sometimes through unwanted functionality, sometimes through a poor interface. I’ve always acknowledged that the DataYours UI (built entirely on available graphs in Google Charts) is woefully lacking, but nevertheless, there are some keen DataYours users, possibly because it does offer some unique features. For me, it was a stepping stone to other approaches, as I’ve described. I haven’t really added anything significant for over two years, but I’ve always tried to help out anyone who needs some support.

How much trouble would it be to add a menu item to the variable configuration "delete/reset" to the watch/unwatch dialog so the casual user could use this otherwise "super" app?

As ever, these things are easier said than done. But tell me, how did you install DataYours, and do you have the skill to update it from GitHub? The problem is that the MiOS App Store is also a dog, and arranging an update through that is a minefield for multi-component plugins such as DataYours, and also takes significant time since it needs to go through Vera’s authorization process. Vera also gets in the way of replacing elements through other means, and it may involve some low-level “back door” access to fix.

You have offered a great suggestion, but it would be a shame for me to go to the trouble of implementing it if you then weren’t able to use it.

I did configure the USB based on instructions from the forum.
I have installed WinSCP (based on suggestion found on he forum) - and have followed your instructions to "unwatch/delete the filed and was able to “start over” the 2 variables I wanted to re-do.
so - I if I can install using WinSCP and some instructions, ten the answer to your question is yes - I could update from another location(?).
Again - a great APP for monitoring variables.

For sure, you could. You obviously also show great sympathy for those who are less skilled, and I applaud that.

Thinking further, a number of us here developed an ‘Alternative App Store’, which gets around some of the problems of going through Vera’s MiOS App Store.

DataYours, amongst many other plugins, is available from there (although you would have to delete your existing MiOS-installed compressed files manually first, this can be done without losing your configuration.) However, it’s almost a prerequisite to also be running the AltUI interface (which provides a stunningly better user experience than UI7.)

We went to some lengths to make installing the AltAppStore plugin (not available from the MiOS store!) as simple as possible. You can read a bit more about it here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38102.msg284741.html#msg284741

I will look into the alt ui as you suggest.
When you say i must delete DataYours - i assume you mean “uninstall” and not some more Linux suff - right?

Yes, worth a look, I think.

When you say i must delete DataYours - i assume you mean "uninstall" and not some more Linux suff - right?

Well, in fact the actual old install files have to be deleted. The Unistall action does not actually do this. It’s one of the things that Vera makes harder than it should be. However, everything you need to do (and there is not much) can be done from the Lua Test Code window.

I have the ALTUI installed and it appears to be working.
In addition to the Uninstall:
Where can I find However, everything you need to do (and there is not much) can be done from the Lua Test Code window." instructions?

Thanks

Ooh goody. Enjoy!

One of the great things about AltUI is that the Lua Test window supports the print() command. Another one is that there is a Misc > OsCommand page…

In addition to the Uninstall: Where can I find However, everything you need to do (and there is not much) can be done from the Lua Test Code window." instructions?

If you try this command there:

ls /etc/cmh-ludl/*_Data*

you will see a list of the DataYours install files:

/etc/cmh-ludl/D_DataYours.json.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/D_DataYours.xml.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/I_DataYours.xml.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataBaseDM.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataCache.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataDaemon.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataDash.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataGraph.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataLibrary.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataMineServer.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataUser.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataWatcher.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataWhisper.lua.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/L_DataYours.lua.lzo

These are the ones that need to be deleted. Your listing may vary depending on your installed version. If you show me that listing I can confirm that it’s OK to go ahead and remove them.

See attached (from WinSCP window (filtered) After Vera App Uninstall

Ha! That’s why I asked… you have DataMine installed as well.

If you’re not using this, then it’s OK to delete all of these files by running this OsCommand:

rm /etc/cmh-ludl/*_Data*

However, if you are, then we have to be a bit more selective. Anything not containing [tt]Mine2[/tt] can go.

Ask if you need more.

I installed and uninstalled daramine2 - so that is need needed either.
Thanks

Old files deleted.
The AltUI has More/Appstore
Do I need to do anything else to get it to work?
Any button I press (I.e. datayours) it says “failure”.
Do I need to run the script referenced here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38102.msg284741.html#msg284741

thanks

[quote=“Chelseagroup, post:15, topic:199589”]The AltUI has More/Appstore
Do I need to do anything else to get it to work?[/quote]

Yes, it needs the AltAppStore plugin installed…

Do I need to run the script referenced here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38102.msg284741.html#msg284741

…and that’s how you do it. Although, following changes to Vera security, you should make the following change to the the script:

change this line:

"http://127.0.0.1:3480/data_request?id=action",

to this

"http://127.0.0.1/port_3480/data_request?id=action",

I’ve modified the AltAppStore install script on that page, so that you don’t, now, have to edit anything, so long as you use the new_… one.

SUCCESS!
AltUI; AppStore; DataYours all installed and WORKING!!!
With the use of WinSCP, I can easily delete and start over any data I want to track with different parameters.

Thanks
You are THE BEST!!

Glad to hear it.

Your success, though, is due to the very hard work of a number of people including @amg0 for AltUI, plus a bit of work from @vosmont and myself for AltAppStore.