Data update frequency

Evening.
Not sure if this is a DY problem or something else but here goes.

I’ve added a significant number of sensors to my system over the last week. As far as I can tell they are all working correctly and updating UI7 (7.30) on my Vera Plus

Some of my older DY graphs (for some temperature sensors) continue to update at a pretty good rate. These devices are effectively mains powered.

Now I’ve added quite a few Fibaro 3 in 1 (and I have one historic one) which I’ve started trying to graph the data from Lux and Temperature.

The update rate of these seems very variable. For example I have two (Office and Server room) that are have updated temperature as recently as 45 minutes ago

However the same sensors (but the Lux value) are not updating at the same level. Office Lux last updated 80 minutes ago. Server room Lux has no data at all shown in the graph. The whisper timestamp is >2 hours ago.

So I guess my question is: What’s going on. Is something broken or is there some update algorithm I don’t get.

Thoughts?

Cheers

C

1 Like

AFAIK, most battery powered sensors will only update when there is a significant change in their reading, so update rates will be very variable. This should be a settable device parameter over Zwave.

Hi @Catman, you didn’t identify what particular model of fibaro multi sensor you are using but I did have a quick look at the manual for the fibaro fgms-001 and that identifies a number of parameters which determine when the illuminance and temperature readings are sent. For illuminance there is a threshold and an interval, readings are sent when the illuminance changes by more than the threshold and readings are also sent after the defined interval in the event of there being no change in level. For temperature there is a third parameter which determines the time interval between consecutive temperature measurements. It could be the behaviour you report is consistent with intervals being set to be fairly long and say in the server room the light levels being fairly constant whereas those in the office are actually fluctuating and the temperature in both the office and the server room is either fluctuating or the reporting interval is set for a shorter period. It may be worth checking for the devices you are using whether there are similar parameters that can be changed.

Thanks for this. They are FGMS001 indeed. I think there’s something amiss here, but not wholly sure it’s not the Fibaros playing up. Looking in the logs I can’t see any of them actually sending updated values in which case it’s hardly fair to expect that DY can pick it up :smiley:

I shall give them some prodding tomorrow.

Cheers

C

After wandering around with a torch…
I can confirm that at least one is working kind of

1. Illuminance report - threshold
    This parameter determines the change in light intensity level resulting in illuminance report being sent to the main controller.
    Available settings: 0 - reports are not sent
    1-32767 (illuminance in lux)
    Default setting: 200 (200 lux) Parameter size: 2 [bytes]

So this works. If Lux changes > 200 (on at least one of the devices) Vera picks it up, as does DY.

Illuminance report - interval
Time interval between consecutive illuminance reports. The reports
are sent even if there is no change in the light intensity.
Available settings: 0 - periodical reports are not sent
1-32767 (in seconds)
Default setting: 3600 (1h) Parameter size: 2 [bytes]

This doesn’t seem to work at all. No idea if this is an FW bug, but nothing is picked up by Vera. Also not a DY issue so I shall post elsewhere :smiley:

Cheers!

C

1 Like

Interesting.

Looks like Vera may have rewritten some of these. 40 is set to 80
42 appears to be blank.
I’ve set 42 to 3600 and now things are making some sense!
C

OK back again

After watching for a day, there is something odd:
If I look at my sensor #208 since my last log rotate, it’s sending data every hour as it should:

root@MiOS_50103066:/tmp/log/cmh# grep -i currentlevel LuaUPnP.log | grep 208

06 12/05/19 16:56:47.573 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 208 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>

06 12/05/19 17:56:52.498 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 208 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>

06 12/05/19 18:56:57.447 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 208 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>

06 12/05/19 19:57:03.821 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 208 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>

06 12/05/19 20:57:09.333 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 208 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>

But the whisper file has not been updated since 12:56

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 374736 Dec 5 12:56 Vera-50103066.208.urn^micasaverde-com^serviceId^LightSensor1.CurrentLevel.wsp

Similarly my device 10

|06|12/05/19 17:08:40.485|Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 10 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>|
|06|12/05/19 18:09:12.640|Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 10 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>|
|06|12/05/19 19:05:55.110|Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 224 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 3 now: 3 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>|
|06|12/05/19 19:09:41.958|Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 10 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>|
|06|12/05/19 20:10:11.504|Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 10 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>|
|06|12/05/19 21:10:38.501|Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 10 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>|
|06|12/05/19 21:10:38.585|Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 10 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:LightSensor1 variable: CurrentLevel was: 0 now: 0 #hooks: 1 upnp: 0 skip: 0 v:0xeaf1f8/NONE duplicate:1 <0x76fd9520>|

But the whisper has not been changed since 1407

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 374736 Dec 5 14:07 Vera-50103066.010.urn^micasaverde-com^serviceId^LightSensor1.CurrentLevel.wsp

What’s my next step? Kill the watched values and start again now the senors are correctly configured, or is it a function of how I’ve configured the watch or something else (such as a zero, non changing value being sent?)

Much thanks!

C

IIRC, DataYours will write even repeated changes to the Whisper file – this is different from openLuup’s Data Historian, which is the successor to DataYours in the openLuup environment.

However, Vera device variables can be set to not flag updates of the same value. This may be the issue, you’d have to check the service files of the device.

Thanks

So I’ve just tested by having Mrs C turn the garage lights on. Immediate report of change in the Lua logs and an immediate update of the Whisper file.

So the possibility is your second point that they may be set not to flag updates (even though they are in the logs)

What are the service files, and where do I look?

Many thanks!

C

I’ve taken a look at the default service file for a light sensor and see this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<scpd xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service-1-0">
  <specVersion>
    <major>1</major>
    <minor>0</minor>
  </specVersion>
  <serviceStateTable>
      <stateVariable>
         <name>CurrentLevel</name>
         <sendEventsAttribute>yes</sendEventsAttribute>
         <dataType>i4</dataType>
        <shortCode>light</shortCode>
      </stateVariable>
   </serviceStateTable>
</scpd>

and note that sendEventsAttribute is set to yes, and that was one of the things I was thinking of, but it’s not an issue.

The files are under the (in)convenient location arrived at under the UI7 menu:

Apps > Develop apps > Luup files

The next thing to check is the DataWatcher configuration. On the DataYours device control panel there should be a link to this, but you can anyway get there from a browser using:

VeraIP:/port_3480/data_request?id=lr_DataWatcher&show=config

This will confirm which variables it is watching, and also under the DATAWATCHER tally watched table, a list of how many times these watched variables have updated. Worth checking this after trying to toggle the variable you’re wanting to monitor.

Not quite sure why you should be having this issue, but let’s keep digging…

Thanks

So I know it’s watching the correct variables, it just seems to stop logging the data when there is no change.
I can sort of get that, but it does screw things up since the graph remains static until the next update

Not sure what the tally watched is telling us? I’m doing all this remotely ATM so it’s a bit tricky to do things. If only I had some way of altering tings remotely :slight_smile:

I’ve just finished (I think) altering the sensors so all the problematic ones (in static environments) are sending updates each hour for both lux and temperature. Once I’ve confirmed that, I’ll post on.

Tomorrow will have some better opportunity to alter light and so on settings.

I’m not entirely sure there’s not something else odd going on as well. For example my garage sensor is currently reporting 0 lux. I know it’s dark in there, but it is not pitch dark, so there seems to be a lower limit of reporting.

Thanks, as ever

C

Another data point (or not) Temperature seems to update. Maybe that the values are changing more, but now I’ve set it to report every hour it’s all looking good. Just seems to be Lux that’s the issue

C