Daily z-wave device malfunction

Hi everyone. I have been using a Veralite with UI5 for a couple of years now. I have currently have about 20 devices throughout my house. I have been perusing this forum since day one. Although I generally don’t mind tinkering with my settings and I am fully aware that z-wave, veralite and UI5 is far from a perfect/flawless system, I have been getting somewhat more frustrated lately with the number of outages I get. I might go a couple of days without any issues, but then BOOM . . . .1, 2, 3 or all nodes fail to respond. Often a manual heal or manual trigger config fixes it, but often it does not. I have read that baby monitors may effect the system via interference. I have no way to change the channel on our monitor. I have also read that cycling the breaker on the house may fix things. Although I have not done this yet, I don’t understand why or how that would fix it. I know this is a vague question, but WTF can I do to keep my system stable? For the most part, everything is stock/default in the settings. What should I change? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance!

-ss

EDIT
I forgot to mention that if/when I do a backup restore from a previous day that everything was working fine, the system works again. However, doing this daily seems ridiculous and defeats the purpose of an “automated” system

It sounds as though the automatic nightly heal may be introducing a weak or bad route. You could:

[ul][li]Disable the nightly heal. - It’s covered in the forums.[/li]
[li]Add more nodes to increase the resilience of the mesh. - Self explanatory.[/li]
[li]Determine which node is providing the bad route and then do something about that(repair/replace, add nodes, route around). - Contact support for this. If you can’t even be bothered to figure out why power cycling a node might fix the issue, you’ll never do this on your own.[/li][/ul]

I will try disabling nightly heal. That actually makes sense. Thanks!

I see this on my VeraLite w/ UI7. It’s a huge pain in the ass. Everything’s working great until one day out of the blue Vera can’t talk to a random 1-6 of my sensors/switches. I restore (incl. z-wave network) from the day before… or any other backup really and I’m immediately back up and running fine. Until the next time it happens.

Appreciate the comments re: disabling the nightly heal. I’ll have to read up on that. Sounds like exactly what I want. Once my z-wave network is up and running I only want to make changes to it sparingly if I encounter an issue.

[quote=“BrianAz, post:4, topic:186841”]I see this on my VeraLite w/ UI7. It’s a huge pain in the ass. Everything’s working great until one day out of the blue Vera can’t talk to a random 1-6 of my sensors/switches. I restore (incl. z-wave network) from the day before… or any other backup really and I’m immediately back up and running fine. Until the next time it happens.

Appreciate the comments re: disabling the nightly heal. I’ll have to read up on that. Sounds like exactly what I want. Once my z-wave network is up and running I only want to make changes to it sparingly if I encounter an issue.[/quote]

Well… that didn’t last long. Woke up this morning with 5 devices unable to communicate. Switching nightly heal back on (after I restore this backup). So frustrating. I’ll need to see if other controllers have similar issues with z-wave networks or if this issue is unique to Vera.

Could you have a device that’s going bad?

It’s totally different ends of the house when it happens. Last time it was the light switches in my master bedroom at the back of the house and today it was my front door sensor and a few lights nearby. It seems too random to be a specific device causing it. I need to look more into how to read the logs to see what the hecks going on.

Z-waver is right… call tech support.

I disabled the nightly heal and manually assigned a few neighbors to a couple of the potentially problem devices. I’ve gone a full week without any issues or breakdowns. So, I think this fixed it!!! I think my next test will be to add a new device and see what happens after I manually configure it. However, I’m feeling quite optimistic!!! Thanks!

-ss

[quote=“BrianAz, post:5, topic:186841”][quote=“BrianAz, post:4, topic:186841”]I see this on my VeraLite w/ UI7. It’s a huge pain in the ass. Everything’s working great until one day out of the blue Vera can’t talk to a random 1-6 of my sensors/switches. I restore (incl. z-wave network) from the day before… or any other backup really and I’m immediately back up and running fine. Until the next time it happens.

Appreciate the comments re: disabling the nightly heal. I’ll have to read up on that. Sounds like exactly what I want. Once my z-wave network is up and running I only want to make changes to it sparingly if I encounter an issue.[/quote]

Well… that didn’t last long. Woke up this morning with 5 devices unable to communicate. Switching nightly heal back on (after I restore this backup). So frustrating. I’ll need to see if other controllers have similar issues with z-wave networks or if this issue is unique to Vera.[/quote]

Brian,

Did you cycle power to the devices/breaker after disabling the nightly heal? Also, check the neighbors assigned to the devices that are failing. Per Z-waver’s suggestion, I did end up cycling power to one of the battery operated devices (obviously, this would not be cycled by flipping the breaker). This seemed to solve my issue. Hope this helps!

-ss

Appreciate the suggestion, I’ll give it a try. Thx!