Controlling Smith & Noble Shades?

Hello All: I’m new to the Ezlo community, so can’t start a new topic yet. But was wondering if anyone has experience with sending ascii or hex command via udp broadcast so that I can automate Smith and Noble shades. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you

I don’t know the answer, never heard of Smith & Noble before, but you need to provide more information.

Firstly which controller do you have? Is it a new Ezlo controller or an old Vera controller?

Also do you have the Smith & Noble smart hub?

Or do you just have their remote control handsets? Do you know what protocol their remotes use to communicate with the shade motors?

I also saw this post on the HA forum about the udp broadcasts.

I did a bit more digging, looks like the Smith & Noble smart hub is 2.4Ghz WIFI to RF 433Mhz. So assuming your shade motors are RF then. User manual here for their smart hub.

Looks like they have a Control4 driver also for Wifi to RF and those UDP broadcasts.

I would maybe contact Smith & Noble and ask them if they have an API for their smart hub and some documentation ?

Your options are probably this.

1. Some how send UDP broadcast packets directly from the Vera / Ezlo controller to the shade motors smart hub.
  2. If you have an Ezlo hub and Smith & Noble have an API for their Smart Hub, if you asked Ezlo they may be able to make some integration plugin.
  3. Or maybe look at using a Broadlink RM Pro hub to send out the RF commands to the shade motors. Both Vera and Ezlo hubs support Broadlink RM Pro I believe. You could use the shades remote control to teach the Broadlink RM Pro hub the RF commands etc.

If you have a new Ezlo hub? There is a plugin called “Ezlo Protocols plugin”

As part of that, there is a UDP Manager that might work? Never used it myself.

This is a Meshbot rules action, using the UDP Manager as the device.

Hello CW-Kid: Thank you very much for the responses! Very much appreciated. I did fail to mention that I’m still using a Vera+ and was looking at possible lua in a scene to control the shades. Yes, I do have the S&M Hub and I am guessing the protocol used is RSSI. Haven’t had a chance to connect a tap to capture some packets, but that is my next step. I also will also reach out to S&M to see if they have an api. I have zero coding background, but love learning and tinkering. I’ll give some additional thought to buying an Ezlo as this may be an easier way to automate scenes for the shades in the short term. Thank you again for the insights.

If you have a Vera Plus my advice then would be search this forum for old posts. If sending udp broadcasts via Lua is possible? Then maybe its already mentioned somewhere…