Controlling PowerMax using iTach IP2SL

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to the whole home automation thing. I just bough some vera controllers (Vera 3 + Lite) and a PowerMax Pro system, but I still haven’t started setting them up. I am still in the reading and investigation phase.

I have a question.
I know that PowerMax should be connected with vera using a USB to RS232 cable, but would it be possible to control it using an iTach IP2SL device, as it happens to have couple of them spare?

It would be great to have that option, as I wouldn’t have to place the vera controller next to the alarm controller, as I am planning to place it to a non-easily accessible point in the house… for obvious reasons. In addition it is a PoE device connected to my switch, which is powered by a UPS. So no power failure issues there.
The alternative, of course, is to power vera from the switch using a PoE splitter, but I would prefer to use the IP2SL device.

By the way, you have done a very good work with this plugin!!!

The plugin will currently only work with a serial device and not an ip connection. Either the plugin code would need to be modified or a simple ip to serial device should be created (at least I guess this is simple, haven’t tried it 8)).

Thank you for your reply.

I know that either the code has to be modified or a kind of interfacing has to be created. I was trying to find a way to do it my self actually, but I was surprised that there is nothing related to the iTach RS232 devices in the mios forum. I though they are pretty standard in the market, as most of the remote applications use them (I use them with iRule).
Anyway, I can live with the USB to RS232 cable for the moment, but it would be nice to se an interfacing device for the iTach Hardware.

If you go to Apps->Develop Apps->Serial Port Configuration you will see that all “serial ports” have an IP address. All serial ports are handled by the ser2net deamon. Local ones have “localhost”. “Remote” ports have the IP address of the remote ser2net deamon instance.

My PowerMax is connected to an old Linksys NSLU2 running ser2net on OpenWRT.

Maybe you just have to add the IP address of your iTach RS232 device. But see http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,1471.msg4910.html#msg4910 for requirements for USB 2 serial adapters. And maybe you need the IPSerial Plugin.

I currently use an itach ip2sl on my DSC. To enable this, you use the standard Global Cache GC100 plugin which will identify it as a serial adapter and then I selected this as the communication medium.

Thank you for the help!!!

Hello

I 'm still unclear about Itach IP2SL physical integration into the powermax pro box and wonders about power and serial cabling within powermax:

• About Power: were you able to power the itach from powermax ? i believe itach is ok with 5v but where can this be sourced from the powermax board ?
  • serial : I understand GND / Tx / RX are the only connections required from PC/IP powermax ,yet what Pins corresponds to those on the itach serial ? finally what cable to use to make the link ?

Thank you for your valuable support